Cell's near-death power-up boost?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Cell's near-death power-up boost?

Post by TheAldella » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Okay, so if this has been done before, I'm really sorry, but this is bugging me, and I hear no one bring it up. Cell blew himself up, and got a power boost from it. But on Namek, Vegeta specifically asks Krillin to blast him because the wounds to fuel a power boost can NOT be self-inflicted. How does that work??
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Cell's Zenkai Boost

Post by Saiga » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Goku also gives himself zenkai on the way to Namek, blasting himself with his own Kamehamehas. What Vegeta says is something like "it won't work if I do it myself" which might mean he can't injure himself the way he's wanting Kuririn to.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:36 am

I don't believe it was the fact that self-inflicted attacks can't give a Zenkai boost. But rather that self-inflicted attacks weren't deadly enough to give a big Zenkai boost. The reason Vegeta asks Kuririn to do it is because if Vegeta tried to nearly kill himself he wouldn't be able to go through with it and thus the Zenkai would be minimal. It's like trying to strangle yourself, you wouldn't be able to because your body would react and prevent you from going through with it. Goku had many Zenkai's on the way to Namek but Goku could never fire a blast that would leave a gaping hole in his body to give him a big Zenkai. They were all mini Zenkai's from being suitably hurt. Cell gaining a huge Zenkai is because he used his bomb. Something he couldn't prevent from doing major damage.

kazamino
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kazamino » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:19 pm

Hitiro wrote:I don't believe it was the fact that self-inflicted attacks can't give a Zenkai boost. But rather that self-inflicted attacks weren't deadly enough to give a big Zenkai boost. The reason Vegeta asks Kuririn to do it is because if Vegeta tried to nearly kill himself he wouldn't be able to go through with it and thus the Zenkai would be minimal. It's like trying to strangle yourself, you wouldn't be able to because your body would react and prevent you from going through with it. Goku had many Zenkai's on the way to Namek but Goku could never fire a blast that would leave a gaping hole in his body to give him a big Zenkai. They were all mini Zenkai's from being suitably hurt. Cell gaining a huge Zenkai is because he used his bomb. Something he couldn't prevent from doing major damage.
Bolded for emphasis...

This is my natural assumption as well
In a world of approximately seven billion people, the irony is that wandering around... is the fastest way to get noticed

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Cell & Goku got a near-death power-up from self-inflicted injuries, but their aim wasn't to get a near-death power-up. So, I guess that self-inflicted injuries don't give a near-death power-up, unless you are not injuring yourself on purpose to get a power-up.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:41 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Cell & Goku got a near-death power-up from self-inflicted injuries, but their aim wasn't to get a near-death power-up. So, I guess that self-inflicted injuries don't give a near-death power-up, unless you are not injuring yourself on purpose to get a power-up.
That sounds pretty stupid to me. It sounds like it is a sentient being like: "You ain't getting any near-death power-up from me, cheating like that!"
It isn't impossible Toriyama could have thought like that, but seriously it seems other non-sensical to me.

I find the explanations offered above far more logical.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:20 pm

We saw Goku & Cell getting near-death power-ups accidentally, and Vegeta saying that he can't get a near-death power-up by hurting himself. So, I can't reach a different conclusion, other than "plot-hole". But yeah, the idea is that the Saiyans' bodies prevent them from getting stronger through cheating.

The only other explanation that I see is Hituro's, which I would agree with, if we hadn't seen Ginyu landing a deadly hit to himself. I doubt that Vegeta wouldn't be brave enough to hit himself like Ginyu did.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:51 pm

Ginyu's probably a special case, though, considering his body-swapping ability.

Most characters can't just jump into a different body if their current one is injured, and nobody knows how long Ginyu's been bouncing from one body to the next (it's implied that the purple guy isn't his original body), so it's possible he's just been doing that for so long that he doesn't really care what happens to a current body (at least if there's no other way out of a situation than discarding it) and as a result no longer has that unconscious inability-to-mortally-wound-himself-on-purpose reaction that most characters would have.

It's almost along the same lines as how Piccolo, Cell, and Buu don't react nearly as much to serious wounds (at least the ones they can regenerate from) as other characters would--since they can just grow it back instantly, and they've gotten used to that fact, it's not as big of a deal to them. And though Cell does seem legitimately surprised when somebody manages to hit him with something that blasts a chunk out of him, yeah, but it always seems like his shock is mainly "holy crap a weakling like you is actually able to make a blast that powerful!?" rather than "holy crap I've got a chunk blasted out of me, I'm injured, panic!" And Buu just doesn't give a crap when someone blows him up, since he's been regenerating for millions of years. XD

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:07 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:The only other explanation that I see is Hituro's, which I would agree with, if we hadn't seen Ginyu landing a deadly hit to himself. I doubt that Vegeta wouldn't be brave enough to hit himself like Ginyu did.
Well, was it a deadly hit? I think Goku could have continued to live in Ginyu's body. I would also attribute Ginyu's attack on himself to do with his mental constitution. Like Pantalones says, it isn't like he feared damaging his body because he had the ability to jump bodies. And I also don't think he was quite right in the head.

I mean there are individuals out there who are perfectly capable of doing self-harm to their bodies. But it isn't a huge number of people, it takes a special kind of messed up person to do it. The majority of the population would be reluctant to go through with it.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:40 am

Ginyu's hit wasn't deadly, but it could have been. Why wouldn't he be able to fire a ki blast through his chest while his fist was already inside? And I don't think that Vegeta would be scared of the pain this would cause him.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Re: Cell's near-death power-up boost?

Post by Hitiro » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:09 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Ginyu's hit wasn't deadly, but it could have been. Why wouldn't he be able to fire a ki blast through his chest while his fist was already inside? And I don't think that Vegeta would be scared of the pain this would cause him.
Well I don't think Vegeta is scared of the pain, but scared of hurting himself to the point of death. Vegeta gets scared a lot through the manga though. Giving up because he can't win and he thinks he's going to die. It even reduces him to tears against Freeza when he realises he can't win. But that is my opinion.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Hitiro wrote:Well I don't think Vegeta is scared of the pain, but scared of hurting himself to the point of death. Vegeta gets scared a lot through the manga though. Giving up because he can't win and he thinks he's going to die. It even reduces him to tears against Freeza when he realises he can't win. But that is my opinion.
I'm not saying that Vegeta is fearless, I'm saying that he is fearless in this specific case. What he wanted was to hurt himself to the point of near-death, so if he had no choice but to do it by himself, then I believe he would do it.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:22 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:We saw Goku & Cell getting near-death power-ups accidentally, and Vegeta saying that he can't get a near-death power-up by hurting himself. So, I can't reach a different conclusion, other than "plot-hole".
I wouldn't be so quick to depict it as a plothole. What characters say isn't infallible and it could easily be assumed that Vegeta simply didn't know what he was talking about. Just like the asspulled theory of there being a requirement of pure heart for the ascension to SS.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:26 pm

hleV wrote:I wouldn't be so quick to depict it as a plothole. What characters say isn't infallible and it could easily be assumed that Vegeta simply didn't know what he was talking about.
From an out-of-universe point of view, Toriyama wouldn't put it there if it wasn't meant to be true.
Just like the asspulled theory of there being a requirement of pure heart for the ascension to SS.
(Nit-picking) It's tranquil heart, not pure.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:19 pm

I still think Perfect Cell should have gotten at least half of a Zenkai boost on the account of having to regenerate. Technically it should be a near death state. After Goku blew his torso apart and after he was consumed by Gohan's Super Kamehameha the first time. Those should have given him boosts if we are comparing it too the logic used on Namek for Goku and Ginyu as well as Vegeta and Krillin.
hleV wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:We saw Goku & Cell getting near-death power-ups accidentally, and Vegeta saying that he can't get a near-death power-up by hurting himself. So, I can't reach a different conclusion, other than "plot-hole".
I wouldn't be so quick to depict it as a plothole. What characters say isn't infallible and it could easily be assumed that Vegeta simply didn't know what he was talking about. Just like the asspulled theory of there being a requirement of pure heart for the ascension to SS.
You'd think that it shouldn't matter how their bodies are injured for them to get Zenkai's. When you cut yourself your skin still heals regardless if it was you who did it on pupose or an external influence. Healing is healing. People would argue why they couldn't just exploit it to get boosts, but it wouldnt make them warriors to rely on that. It would only make sense for Cell to exploit it by his autohealing if Toriyama considered it the same way.

Though I take Goku being pure of heart enabiling him to go SSJ just a character hype tool and not a real explaination. It was just to make Goku seem legendary and the hero as opposed to Freeeza and Vegeta at the time. To me SSJ is just a Super-Zenkai.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.