Time travel with the dragonballs

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Time travel with the dragonballs

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:05 pm

If Future Trunks went back to his timeline with the dragonballs from our current timeline; would he be able to use the dragonballs still or would they become stones because Piccolo was not there to "power them"? Or if Piccolo also went to the future timeline with him?

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Re: Time travel with the dragonballs

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:54 pm

That's a good question I'm going to say no they probably wouldn't work.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:08 am

I mentioned it in another topic, but even if they were able to work in another timeline, with or without Piccolo or Dende to power them, what would he hope to accomplish? By the time that the time machine had been created, the all the Z fighters, not to mention most of the Earth's population, had been dead for over a year, so they couldn't be revived. At best, he'd be able to just wish for like buildings and stuff to be restored, that's about it, but I don't think he'd want to go to the trouble of bringing the dragonballs from another time to his just for that.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:19 am

Thats what I was thinking, he could wish for the planet to be brought back to normal since it had been terrorized by the androids for so long; or he could have went Frieza saga and used his wish to get in touch with Namek since they have a set still on their planet I assume. I can't remember though if Porunga has the one year time limit too.

[on a slight side note of the ONE YEAR rule, who could possibly be revived in this new movie? Isn't it after Battle of Gods? No one strong enough worth mentioning died except Kid Buu]

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:28 am

Would they even fit in the Time Machine?
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:43 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Thats what I was thinking, he could wish for the planet to be brought back to normal since it had been terrorized by the androids for so long; or he could have went Freeza saga and used his wish to get in touch with Namek since they have a set still on their planet I assume. I can't remember though if Porunga has the one year time limit too.

[on a slight side note of the ONE YEAR rule, who could possibly be revived in this new movie? Isn't it after Battle of Gods? No one strong enough worth mentioning died except Kid Buu]
DBZ2015 can probably have them revive whoever Toriyama wants. The year limit is only mentioned once in regards to a large group of people being revived, specifically those killed by Freeza and his goons. It's very possible that this limit is only in place because Freeza's organization kills MANY people across the entire universe, and Shenlong would be reviving all of them within that year, not just those who died in the battles on Namek. Who knows how many lives he actually restored?

It could be possible that if Trunks were to use the Dragon Balls to "revive all those killed by Gero's Artificial Humans", that they wouldn't have the year limit because the damage was only limited to the relatively small population of just the one planet.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:36 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:DBZ2015 can probably have them revive whoever Toriyama wants. The year limit is only mentioned once in regards to a large group of people being revived, specifically those killed by Freeza and his goons. It's very possible that this limit is only in place because Freeza's organization kills MANY people across the entire universe, and Shenlong would be reviving all of them within that year, not just those who died in the battles on Namek. Who knows how many lives he actually restored?

It could be possible that if Trunks were to use the Dragon Balls to "revive all those killed by Gero's Artificial Humans", that they wouldn't have the year limit because the damage was only limited to the relatively small population of just the one planet.
Can it really be "whoever" Toriyama wants though? Because there is still the fact that souls get reincarnated. And with that being the case anybody who has already been reincarnated shouldn't be able to be brought back to life? Unless we assume that Shenron can kill the reincarnation and then reconstitute the soul back into the original person and then bring them back? But this is probably highly unlikely as Shenron told us when the gang tried to pull Goku's soul to Earth's check-in station that he can't do it because Goku is alive and that it would kill Goku if he did it. What happens if someone tries to revive Pure Boo? Does Shenron create a copy of Pure Boo's soul and remake him? Because Pure Boo is now Oob. I mean I would understand if they resurrected someone like Grandpa Gohan because he wouldn't be reincarnated as he gets to "keep his body" and live in Heaven. But people who haven't saved the world, or universe, wouldn't have the privilege and would be reincarnated after however long it would take for them to be reincarnated.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:35 am

I'm all on board with the idea that those who have been reincarnated can't be restored, but that doesn't mean it actually matters to Toriyama.

The man said that the more evil someone is, the easier it is to reincarnate them. Now, I know Bardock isn't pure evil or anything, but I would assume the ~40 years till Battle of Gods and most modern material is probably long enough for that process to deal with whatever his good qualities were. Yet when asked about if Bardock could appear in future material, Toriyama didn't say it was impossible because he'd be reincarnated, he only said that Bardock wouldn't be strong enough to be relevant.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

CordonBloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by CordonBloo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:43 am

I've been looking for a thread discussing who could be revived in the new movie!

We know so little about Burdock, so he could definitely be revived. Why however, or why that would be the 'worst wish', I don't know.

I think it will probably some new character, perhaps the original Super Saiyan God? Who knows.

I'd be interested to see what theories other people have, though.
CORDON BLOO TO THE RESCOO!