Beerus claims that base Goku in BoG couldn't beat Freeza?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Regarder
Regular

Re: Beerus claims that base Goku in BoG couldn't beat Freeza

Post by Regarder » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:50 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote: But power level increases every stat. The manga goes against the Daizenshuu in this case
It's probably worth mentioning (this argument might come up) that the critical exception is Ultra-SS, but this is notable because it was such an exception, and in that case getting too bulky made you slower. If there's a disparity based off the manga, then it should make Kibito slower than someone smaller with the same ki, not faster (so he could compensate).

If ki increases every stat roughly evenly, then Kibito being physically weaker than Base Gohan means it should be lesser in all physical ways (do we really want to say he could out-skill Gohan?). If ki can increase stats unevenly because of body conditions - and the manga shows it can - then the evidence of how this works means that due to his bulk Kibito would be even slower than you'd expect, not faster (which has been suggested to get around the implications of that scene).

So yeah, Kibito should be lesser even if you include evidence that contradicts your first sentence. Doesn't say anything about Kai, since Kibito may share a similar role and power relationship with him as Popo does to Kami.

Incidentally, this wouldn't be the first time I think the manga contradicts the Daizenshuu on an issue concerning Gohan (I won't say what it is, to avoid an off-topic [censored word]storm).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:12 pm

"All other traits increase along with battle power" is the norm, but there's been other exceptions in the past. Like how Goku was faster than Captain Ginyu despite being a good chunk weaker. I don't find it hard to believe that Saiyans would have an edge in physical strength and toughness compared to most other races.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:10 pm

I suppose Goku could've done one of those invisible kaiokens he did vs Freeza
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:44 pm

Kaboom wrote:"All other traits increase along with battle power" is the norm, but there's been other exceptions in the past. Like how Goku was faster than Captain Ginyu despite being a good chunk weaker. I don't find it hard to believe that Saiyans would have an edge in physical strength and toughness compared to most other races.
It's almost as if breaking down battle efficiency into a single, unit-less number with no context is completely stupid.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:55 pm

ImmaDeker wrote:It's almost as if breaking down battle efficiency into a single, unit-less number with no context is completely stupid.
More or less. The way I'd put it is a reminder that the "power level" number often referenced is nothing more than a measurement of one's amount of raw ki. It has no bearing on how talented or capable the person is in using that ki in any given way.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

hyperbeing1
Beyond Newbie

Post by hyperbeing1 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:04 am

Regarder wrote:
xmysticgohanx wrote: But power level increases every stat. The manga goes against the Daizenshuu in this case
It's probably worth mentioning (this argument might come up) that the critical exception is Ultra-SS, but this is notable because it was such an exception, and in that case getting too bulky made you slower. If there's a disparity based off the manga, then it should make Kibito slower than someone smaller with the same ki, not faster (so he could compensate).

If ki increases every stat roughly evenly, then Kibito being physically weaker than Base Gohan means it should be lesser in all physical ways (do we really want to say he could out-skill Gohan?). If ki can increase stats unevenly because of body conditions - and the manga shows it can - then the evidence of how this works means that due to his bulk Kibito would be even slower than you'd expect, not faster (which has been suggested to get around the implications of that scene).

So yeah, Kibito should be lesser even if you include evidence that contradicts your first sentence. Doesn't say anything about Kai, since Kibito may share a similar role and power relationship with him as Popo does to Kami.

Incidentally, this wouldn't be the first time I think the manga contradicts the Daizenshuu on an issue concerning Gohan (I won't say what it is, to avoid an off-topic [censored word]storm).
i agree with this and to also add burter, jeice, and raccome were all close in power but burter was described and extremely faster.
and when vegeta fought Freeza he believed he had the edge due to his much greater speed.(though he was wrong) this basically proves while the norm ki increase means all around it does not mean it happens all the time. even character durability seem crazy weird such as majin buu getting shot normally yet goku couldn't even get so much as a scratch in early db.

khalildh
Beyond Newbie

Post by khalildh » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:17 am

Also you guys can't forget that even though a character has a similar amount of ki then another character, the rate of ki used can typically be different. For instance if you are using a technique to increase your speed, but it only uses a small fraction of your ki vs someone who has a lot more ki but is using a less efficient speed increase technique then you would be able to increase the rate of ki drain in order to catch up to the opponent or even get faster than them.

Techniques shouldn't be thought of as a flat number, but as a total plus or minus ki per second. For instance something like this 100% - 1%/second.

hyperbeing1
Beyond Newbie

Post by hyperbeing1 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:53 am

khalildh wrote:Also you guys can't forget that even though a character has a similar amount of ki then another character, the rate of ki used can typically be different. For instance if you are using a technique to increase your speed, but it only uses a small fraction of your ki vs someone who has a lot more ki but is using a less efficient speed increase technique then you would be able to increase the rate of ki drain in order to catch up to the opponent or even get faster than them.

Techniques shouldn't be thought of as a flat number, but as a total plus or minus ki per second. For instance something like this 100% - 1%/second.
is this kinda like why goku decided to utilize more of the normal ssj transformation and improve his tolerance towards the drain vs using vegetas and trunks transformations where they increase power, but have a cost of increase strain (and in one speed).

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:06 pm

BlackMagick wrote:That's actually a good point but it is possible that Beerus could've known about Freeza's final form. Although Freeza didn't transform very often it's implied that he's used the form at least once before. I would assume that he's referring to Final Form Freeza because Goku's power EASILY outclasses Freeza's other forms even with a suppressed power level.
Beerus definitely knew about Frieza's final form. When Beerus first woke up, Whis informed him that a Saiyan had beaten Frieza. He[Whis] then proceeded to show Beerus a 'recording' of the Goku/Frieza battle, wherein Frieza was obviously in his final form.

I'd also like to add that there was absolutely no implication that Goku was suppressing his power when Beerus 'evaluated' him on King Kai's world. This was further solidified when neither King Kai nor Goku himself disagreed with Beerus' assertion that he was weaker than Frieza. On that note, I think the Frieza>base Goku thing makes a lot of sense. During the Namek saga, Goku's PL peaked at 3,000,000(sans kaio ken multipliers and whatnot.) For him to have become more powerful than Frieza by the time of BoG means he would've had to increase his base PL by a factor of about 40x--which is an astronomical leap in power(especially when the Zenkai boosts we saw during the Namek saga went away for the most part after that arc concluded.) That said, once Goku gained the ability to transform into a SSJ(and beyond), ALL of his efforts went into improving upon, and perfecting, those forms. He didn't try and boost his base PL alone, because he wanted to perfect the SSJ-level powers that were required to defeat ALL of the opponents he faced(ie. the Androids/Cell/Buu/etc.)

Heck, even if Goku increased his base PL by 20x between the Namek and Buu sagas(which is still a MASSIVE gain), it 'only' puts his base PL at 60,000,000--or about HALF that of final form Frieza.

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Angelus » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:24 pm

Galan007 wrote:
BlackMagick wrote:I think the Freeza>base Goku thing makes a lot of sense. During the Namek saga, Goku's PL peaked at 3,000,000(sans kaio ken multipliers and whatnot.) For him to have become more powerful than Freeza by the time of BoG means he would've had to increase his base PL by a factor of about 40x--which is an astronomical leap in power(especially when the Zenkai boosts we saw during the Namek saga went away for the most part after that arc concluded.) That said, once Goku gained the ability to transform into a SSJ(and beyond), ALL of his efforts went into improving upon, and perfecting, those forms. He didn't try and boost his base PL alone, because he wanted to perfect the SSJ-level powers that were required to defeat ALL of the opponents he faced(ie. the Androids/Cell/Buu/etc.)

Heck, even if Goku increased his base PL by 20x between the Namek and Buu sagas(which is still a MASSIVE gain), it 'only' puts his base PL at 60,000,000--or about HALF that of final form Freeza.
Like a Kaioken x20? Then I suppose this means that there's another flaw in the argument that many people are making... saying that the SSJ multiplier has decreased from x100/150 to lower during the later sagas.

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Angelus wrote:Like a Kaioken x20? Then I suppose this means that there's another flaw in the argument that many people are making... saying that the SSJ multiplier has decreased from x100/150 to lower during the later sagas.
I'm not talking about Goku using kaio ken amps to momentarily attain that level of power in his base form, though.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:40 pm

Kaboom wrote:"All other traits increase along with battle power" is the norm, but there's been other exceptions in the past. Like how Goku was faster than Captain Ginyu despite being a good chunk weaker. I don't find it hard to believe that Saiyans would have an edge in physical strength and toughness compared to most other races.
Well, isn't it like in an RPG? If your level increases, all of your stats increase, but that doesn't mean a level 10 dwarf has the same stats as a level 10 human. Even two level 10 humans won't have the same stats. Everyone has individual strengths and weaknesses, which could be based not only on their physical bodies, but also on how skilled they are at using their ki to enhance different stats. Maybe some people are just really good at using ki to enhance their speed?

Of course, just like in an RPG, high enough levels tend to trump subtle differences in stats. You have to really specialize in a stat to make up for a difference in levels, and no one in Dragon Ball seems inclined to specialize to that degree.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

khalildh
Beyond Newbie

Post by khalildh » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Bussani wrote:
Well, isn't it like in an RPG? If your level increases, all of your stats increase, but that doesn't mean a level 10 dwarf has the same stats as a level 10 human. Even two level 10 humans won't have the same stats. Everyone has individual strengths and weaknesses, which could be based not only on their physical bodies, but also on how skilled they are at using their ki to enhance different stats. Maybe some people are just really good at using ki to enhance their speed?

Of course, just like in an RPG, high enough levels tend to trump subtle differences in stats. You have to really specialize in a stat to make up for a difference in levels, and no one in Dragon Ball seems inclined to specialize to that degree.
Except for Burter, that guy was fastest in the Universe.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:00 pm

khalildh wrote: Except for Burter, that guy was fastest in the Universe.
:wink:

hyperbeing1
Beyond Newbie

Post by hyperbeing1 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:58 am

Regarder wrote:
khalildh wrote: Except for Burter, that guy was fastest in the Universe.
:wink:
not any more :wink:

kuartus4
Beyond Newbie

Post by kuartus4 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:24 pm

Angelus wrote:This is post-Buu arc of course, because it's Battle of Gods. Beerus tells base Goku that Goku wouldn't have been able to beat Freeza. Goku then transforms to his SSJ forms. Does this BoG scene confirm this? Beerus did refer to 100% final form Freeza right?

I think the manga implications pretty much rule out the base saiyans being weaker than 100% final form frieza. I think its made clear they became stronger. That being said, now we know Frieza has another transformation:

I think Beerus was saying that base Goku was weaker than that Frieza.

Darkron2151
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkron2151 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:15 pm

kuartus4 wrote: I think the manga implications pretty much rule out the base saiyans being weaker than 100% final form Freeza. I think its made clear they became stronger. That being said, now we know Freeza has another transformation:

I think Beerus was saying that base Goku was weaker than that Freeza.
Why would he be talking about a form of Freeza that didn't even exist at that point? He didn't even know about Super Saiyan until Whis told him about it, so now he can see into the future? I don't see that happening. Plus there are as many "implications" for Freeza > Base Saiyans as for Base Saiyans > Freeza, if not more. Granted, I wanted the Base Saiyans to surpass Freeza as much as the next guy, but the hard evidence just isn't there and the quote from Beerus still stands.
Last edited by Darkron2151 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:17 pm

kuartus4 wrote:I think the manga implications pretty much rule out the base saiyans being weaker than 100% final form Freeza. I think its made clear they became stronger. That being said, now we know Freeza has another transformation:

I think this new movie portrays the transformation as a new discovery. If Beerus was saying that Base Goku is weaker than this new transformation of Freeza it wouldn't make much sense why Freeza never used the form on Namek. Also. If you put into comparison a Base Goku being stronger than 100% Freeza then it kind of fizzles out the Genki Dama's power from all the Earthlings being enough to take out Pure Boo. Because SSJ3 Goku, who is on par with Pure Boo, would vastly exceed the collective Ki of the human race.

What I am worried about is how they're going to play off Freeza's revival. Because I would have thought his soul would have been reincarnated by the time of this movie. I would have also thought that the Shenlong couldn't bring back the dead after such a lengthy time.

Darkron2151
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkron2151 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:29 pm

Hitiro wrote: I think this new movie portrays the transformation as a new discovery. If Beerus was saying that Base Goku is weaker than this new transformation of Freeza it wouldn't make much sense why Freeza never used the form on Namek. Also. If you put into comparison a Base Goku being stronger than 100% Freeza then it kind of fizzles out the Genki Dama's power from all the Earthlings being enough to take out Pure Boo. Because SSJ3 Goku, who is on par with Pure Boo, would vastly exceed the collective Ki of the human race.
To put it in math terms:
  • Average Human Power Level: 5
    Population of Earth: ~6 billion (Which is 50x Freeza's max)

5 x ~6 billion = ~30 billion
Now if Goku was, at least, Freeza level during the Buu Saga, and since Kid Buu ~ SSJ3 Goku, then:
  • 120 million x 400 (Super Saiyan 3 boost) = 48 billion > 30 billion
The Genki Dama wouldn't be strong enough with Kid Buu, which contradicts Vegeta's statement that the Genki Dama from Earth should be enough, and he was only talking about the humans at that point (let alone Gohan, Piccolo, etc.) since he wanted them to "save themselves" sort of speak.

kuartus4
Beyond Newbie

Post by kuartus4 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Hitiro wrote:
kuartus4 wrote:I think the manga implications pretty much rule out the base saiyans being weaker than 100% final form Freeza. I think its made clear they became stronger. That being said, now we know Freeza has another transformation:

I think this new movie portrays the transformation as a new discovery. If Beerus was saying that Base Goku is weaker than this new transformation of Freeza it wouldn't make much sense why Freeza never used the form on Namek. Also. If you put into comparison a Base Goku being stronger than 100% Freeza then it kind of fizzles out the Genki Dama's power from all the Earthlings being enough to take out Pure Boo. Because SSJ3 Goku, who is on par with Pure Boo, would vastly exceed the collective Ki of the human race.

What I am worried about is how they're going to play off Freeza's revival. Because I would have thought his soul would have been reincarnated by the time of this movie. I would have also thought that the Shenlong couldn't bring back the dead after such a lengthy time.
Maybe Frieza's other transformation requires a magic ritual that only Sorbet and Tagoma know how to perform, and since neither of these dudes were on Namek, Frieza couldn't access it.