How would a resurrected 16 affect future arcs?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

How would a resurrected 16 affect future arcs?

Post by Angelus » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:35 pm

GIVEN FACT FOR THIS TOPIC ONLY: 16 was resurrected after the Cell games.

Plot-wise, what would he do and how would he affect future sagas?

Secondly, where would he be best suited to stay, after Goku's death in the Cell Games? At Capsule Corp? At the Kami's lookout? With Korin? Or just in the wild, roaming around Earth's forests, as a guardian of nature? Or travel the world with Android 17? Stay with Gohan and Chi Chi? In Ox King's village?

If he chooses not to kill the resurrected Goku after the Buu saga, what role would he have?

Branching off into GT, would he have a made a better and sensible villain as Super 16 than Super 17? 16 would have the intent.
Last edited by Angelus on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Valerius Dover

Re: What if Android 16 was resurrected after the Cell Games?

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:22 pm

Where does it say that he wasn't resurrected after the Cell Games? I'm only familiar with the dub so far, and it says nothing of 16 after his death. I was under the impression that he was revived along with everyone else killed by Cell, although there's nothing supporting or denying the fact in the Z dub.

Question is, is there a statement in the original Japanese anime or manga that implies differently? I asked this in another thread, but couldn't really get a straight answer.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Someone in here will post that he is a robot, has no soul and cannot be revived as "he" never actually existed. Before that happens, I say he was the typical sci-fi AI which means he has a soul inside of that robot shell, had an actual consciousness as person and therefore was alive and had what it took to exist and make him the nature-loving being he was - even if primitive as he still had instincts (his program) to follow. Even 19 was robotic but could feel fear so whether intended by Akira Toriyama or not and whether intended by Gero or not, when it comes to what makes a typical fantasy-world Artificial Intelligence what it is, they have created some of them (or were responsible for the creation of what later became an actual individual being). But when it comes to that we also have. I am not sure how far the plot actually considered that and if 16 probably wasn't revived because of him still being an artificial being that wasn't at least partly organic. When it comes to that, we do no know what actually happened to him. I also think that in a way -though thought of as being with emotions - he still was left out because of his origin which is a bit weird considering he fits perfectly the role of the living machine, so not the kind of AIs we can program but the kind of AIs that appear all day in fiction. And I think he at least would have been mentioned, but well, we will not get any more information about that.

I wrote a story where he in fact was reborn as another AI based based on nothing more being mentioned about that.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Where does it say that he wasn't resurrected after the Cell Games? I'm only familiar with the dub so far, and it says nothing of 16 after his death. I was under the impression that he was revived along with everyone else killed by Cell, although there's nothing supporting or denying the fact in the Z dub.

Question is, is there a statement in the original Japanese anime or manga that implies differently? I asked this in another thread, but couldn't really get a straight answer.
Because he was a machine. Why would he be resurrected?
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Yamcha: "Please bring back 16 from the Other World!"
Shenron: "He never went there."

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:49 pm

Let's not argue whether or not he was resurrected. Let's stick to a given for this topic, that he was.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:16 pm

If #16 was fully a cyborg then I can see #16 living with Bluma, Trunks and Vegeta. I don't think he would have much a role in the Buu saga other then getting eaten by Super Buu. I would imagine he would be good friends with Mr. Buu since I do feel like that they are kinda similar with each other. In GT, I think a Super #16 could happen instead of Super #17. #16 could likely try to snap out of Gero's and Myuu's control since he has good inside of him unlike #17. He could end up killing Gero and Myuu, and end up keeping his Super #16 body. He might be proven useful during the battle against the One Star Dragon.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Artyom

Post by Artyom » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:42 pm

I see 16 hanging around capsule corp for a while maybe helping Dr. Briefs out in the construction of new technologies and taking the odd wander around jungles and forests.

As for his resurrection, shenron grants wishes so surely he has the power to magically rebuild 16 as he was before with all the same memories and what not as appossed to just saying "sorry, can't, no soul."
Fear answers fear, force answers force and hate breeds hate.
Perhaps to break the circle we should answer with love and breed forgiveness.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:24 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the topic. Regardless of what we think of his fate, if Toriyama had kept him in the story, I would've liked to see him live with the Son family and perhaps help out in place of Goku. Would've been really heartwarming to see.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Artyom wrote:As for his resurrection, shenron grants wishes so surely he has the power to magically rebuild 16 as he was before with all the same memories and what not as appossed to just saying "sorry, can't, no soul."
Shenron couldn't even turn 18 into a full human. I doubt he could rebuild artifical technology if he can't even handle natural stuff.

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:51 pm

Angelus wrote:GIVEN FACT FOR THIS TOPIC ONLY: 16 was resurrected after the Cell games.

Plot-wise, what would he do and how would he affect future sagas?

Secondly, where would he be best suited to stay, after Goku's death in the Cell Games? At Capsule Corp? At the Kami's lookout? With Karin? Or just in the wild, roaming around Earth's forests, as a guardian of nature? Or travel the world with Android 17? Stay with Gohan and Chi Chi? In Ox King's village?

If he chooses not to kill the resurrected Goku after the Buu saga, what role would he have?

Branching off into GT, would he have a made a better and sensible villain as Super 16 than Super 17? 16 would have the intent.
He was too weak to have a significant effect on future sagas... The Saiyans' powers vastly outclassed his own. A 'protector of nature' would have been the best fit for him, imo.

...I always wanted a story in which Cell absorbed #16, though. He(#16) was a great character that was sorely underused. :(

Artyom

Post by Artyom » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:19 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
Artyom wrote:As for his resurrection, shenron grants wishes so surely he has the power to magically rebuild 16 as he was before with all the same memories and what not as appossed to just saying "sorry, can't, no soul."
Shenron couldn't even turn 18 into a full human. I doubt he could rebuild artifical technology if he can't even handle natural stuff.
Oh yeah, thats a very good point!
It's a shame Dr. Briefs didn't backup 16's brain/CPU/consciousness or whatever and maybe rebuild him later on based off that, I mean 16 is the strongest android besides cell maybe it would've been an idea to build an even more powerful android than cell based off ofs 16's mind but with a whole new advanced body.
Fear answers fear, force answers force and hate breeds hate.
Perhaps to break the circle we should answer with love and breed forgiveness.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
Isn't there a difference between modifying and restoring? Shenlong presumably couldn't turn Vegeta and Nappa into humans as they were heading to Earth, but he can bring them back to life if they die. He couldn't make 18 human, but he could restore 17. The dragons even seem capable of restoring an entire planet and all of the technology on it from space-dust, so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to restore one robot-man.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:30 pm

I agree. If 16 was considered an object like a building or a car because he was a full robot, the dragon can rebuild 16. But thing is, wishes have to be specific. That's why those Namekians killed by Vegeta was not resurrected.

But back on topic. ;p

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:51 pm

He would get destroyed again.... plain and simple.
I don't see him faring well against Babidi and his crew.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Jackal puFF

Re: How would a resurrected 16 affect future arcs?

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:10 pm

He would continue to resist his urge to kill Goku and look at birds. Makes you think what he would do if he saw Goten, since he looks exactly like him. He'd get destroyed by Buu eventually.