Different voices for Perfect Cell in the dub?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintalius

Different voices for Perfect Cell in the dub?

Post by sintalius » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:57 pm

I have a question from my friend about 'his' Cell voice. I have only the heard the voice of Cell which you can get on the DVDs so I have no idea what he's talking about. He first saw Cell on Toonami in the UK, if that helps, and he describes it as 'less English' - whatever that means.

I was wondering if you could help me by telling me if there have been different voices for Cell in the English dub, and if possible the names of the voice actors.

:D

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:44 pm

Yes there are two english voice actors for cell, that's because there are two english dubs from the android saga to the end of the series. One done by FUNimation which aired on TV in the U.S. and is on the DVD's. And one done by The Ocean Group with FUNimation's already-edited video and scripts which aired on TV in Canada and the UK.
FUNimaton's Cell was voiced by Dameon Clarke and Ocean's Cell was voiced by Dale Wilson.

There is a thread here whith clips of the Ocean cast posted by Kula.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:27 pm

Yea, in the UK we get the Ocean dub. Different voice actors, different background music. Some people prefer the Funimation dub, some prefer the Ocean.

Ocean are the people who dubbed episodes 1 to 67(I can't remember the dub's episode number).

I didn't realise this when I started watching DBZ back in the day, but I soon figured out when I was introduced to Funimations's version and quickly notice and obvious difference, it even almost felt like a different cartoon, probably because of the drastic change of events at the tournament after the Saiyaman saga, from when Goten turned SSJ, that was the first episode I watched on Toonami, until the episode Energy Drain they stopped showing new episodes.

Then my friend gave me a disc with some Funimation episodes, it was the Gohan Vs Dabura episode, and things seemed way different, Red sky, new enemy, I wanted to see the results of the Budokai, I didn't now it wan't finished, I missed the majin Vegeta episodes and Goku and Vegeta were suddenly enemies, I was very confused.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:20 am

Oh. I thought he was referring to the casting change in the dub.
I watched only one version of the dub, and I believe they changed the voice actors during the Cell Games.

One thing I didn't like about the second Cell voice actor that I got was that his powerup screaming sounded like a growling dog. :?
I think he was the voice of Jahkal on the old Mummies Alive! cartoon..

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:45 am

I much prefere Cell's Ocean dub to Funimations as it has a more evil tone to it and sounds polite (if that makes sense) at the same time. Funi's one is just taking the piss.

sintalius

Post by sintalius » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:26 pm

Awesome! Cheers guys. If anyone has any more clips of the Ocean Group dub of Cell, they would be huuugely appreciated! :D :D :D

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:42 pm

Go to this topic and downlaod the file off of that link...

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=2870

I haven't downloaded it yet, so I don't know if Cell is one it, but there is supposed to be loads of voices from the Ocean version.

The file is 6.90 MB.

Edit: it seems he is on it. :wink:
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:15 am

sintalius, just a heads-up; your avatar is too big. The maximum size is 80 x 80.