Did Vegeta master Super Saiyan 1?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Did Vegeta master Super Saiyan 1?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:24 pm

Basically what the title says. Did he master it similar to how Goku/Gohan/Goten/Trunks did?

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Did Vegeta master Super Saiyan 1?

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:55 pm

Vegeta fighting a Cell Jr.

SSJ Grade 4 Goku and Gohan

Notice the shared pale whitish yellow hair color they have. I'm inclined to say yes.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:48 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Notice the shared pale whitish yellow hair color they have.
That's a feature of any aura-less Super Saiyan in the anime; see the final part of Goku vs Freeza, Trunks' first appearance etc.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:25 pm

Yes. It is highly indicated by the fact that Vegeta realized what training Goku & Gohan undergone in ROSAT and admitted that it's the best way, and was confident after his 2nd trip to ROSAT. SSFP is also identified by a different aura (similar to SS Grade II and Grade III), which Vegeta displayed once or twice in the Cell Games, and Trunks displayed against Cell of his own time. His 2nd trip to the ROSAT benefited him less than Goku & Gohan because went in alone.

SuperSaiyan2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyan2 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:17 pm

I'd assume so, yes. If you assume that one needs to master the form in order to achieve SSJ2, then most definitely.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:22 pm

It's all but confirmed that Vegeta mastered SSJ after his second trip in the ROSAT. At the Cell Games Vegeta's appearance as a SSJ is very similar to that of Goku's when he mastered SSJ.

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:03 pm

He definitely mastered it by the Buu saga. Cell Games is debatable.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:06 pm

I would say so, yes.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:45 pm

If Vegeta had mastered Super Saiyan in the same fashion as Goku I think he would appear already transformed in the Cell Games. But I think he at least realized the advantages of that kind of training, but wasn't able to reach Goku's level.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:59 am

Hugo Boss wrote:If Vegeta had mastered Super Saiyan in the same fashion as Goku I think he would appear already transformed in the Cell Games. But I think he at least realized the advantages of that kind of training, but wasn't able to reach Goku's level.
Goku and Gohan were still training after they left the room, and they left early. They don't stay Super Saiyan after the Cell Games despite having mastered the form.

I don't think staying Super Saiyan is necessary after you've completed the training, so Vegeta and Trunks completed theirs by using their full year. They just didn't get as strong due to not training as effectively.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:23 am

I think that the fact that he's astonished at how much Goku stood ahead of him during the Cell games implies that he has yet to command full mastery over Super Saiyan at that time.

By the Buu arc he has grown considerably stronger due to constant training after the defeat of Cell, so it's implicit (to the point where it's nonsensical that he wouldn't have) that he's reached that level. It's never really stated, though, as by that time Super Saiyan 2 is the benchmark, so it would be somewhat irrelevant to the plot to go into the subject by that point anyway.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:48 am

Saiga wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote:If Vegeta had mastered Super Saiyan in the same fashion as Goku I think he would appear already transformed in the Cell Games. But I think he at least realized the advantages of that kind of training, but wasn't able to reach Goku's level.
Goku and Gohan were still training after they left the room, and they left early. They don't stay Super Saiyan after the Cell Games despite having mastered the form.

I don't think staying Super Saiyan is necessary after you've completed the training, so Vegeta and Trunks completed theirs by using their full year. They just didn't get as strong due to not training as effectively.
They stayed Super Saiyan while outside the RoSaT as well though.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:22 pm

They were still training outside of ROSAT.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:44 pm

Didn't Goku and Gohan say they are going to rest for 3 days train for 3 and rest for 3 for the 9 days before the games.

They don't turn it off even when they are lounging about.

It's obviously beneficial to have kept it on until the walk into the arena or they would have at least turned it off the night before.

The fact that Vegeta and Trunks aren't doing the same thing implies they aren't as good/far along. Otherwise why not have Gohan and Goku with black hair starting the games or Trunks and Vegeta staying blonde.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:50 pm

If it were beneficial to keep it on, Goku and Gohan would still be doing in in the Boo arc. Clearly you reach the point where you don't need to stay in a constant SS state.

If Vegeta and Trunks hadn't finished mastering it, they'd be Super Saiyans at the Cell Games. Because that's what they have to do to keep training it. It makes no sense to assume they stopped part way.

Trunks is clearly a SSFP from his aura by the time he goes back to the future. We don't see him lounging as a Super Saiyan any time between the Cell Games and showing the form off to Bulma, so clearly he had it done before-hand. His and Vegeta's auras from the Cell Games also match the SSFP aura at certain points.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:52 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote: Notice the shared pale whitish yellow hair color they have. I'm inclined to say yes.
SSJ Goku on planet Namek had pale white gold hair whenever he didn't have an aura surrounding him. Even Vegeta had the same hair against #19 and #18, not to mention against Cell when he wasn't powering up. Besides, mastering a form wouldn't change hair color, it didn't change Goku's looks at all during the Cell Games.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:50 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Notice the shared pale whitish yellow hair color they have. I'm inclined to say yes.
Stop looking at the DBWikia! :x
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:10 am

I never thought so, Goku's training methods were always superior to Vegeta's. Whereas Vegeta just pushes forces his body and muscles to new limits via pushups situps and plenty of juice, Goku was calm enough to realize that ki mastery is the way to go, enhancing the strength of the Super Saiyan itself and not just your own strength. If Vegeta was a Full-Power Super Saiyan at the Cell Games, then that would mean he would have as much ki as Goku did and thus be just as strong, or at least close to it. But he clearly wasn't. There was never any indication that he went through the same process Goku took Gohan through, nor can I picture him having the patience to do that anyway. On his second trip to the chamber he likely tried to replicate Goku's results the old fashioned way, and we can see that he failed miserably. Considering his 7 years before Buu were apparently just a lot more gravity training, I'm inclined to believe that he never achieved the mastery then either.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:30 pm

Goku and Gohan trained together to achieve that mastery, and I doubt Vegeta decided to turn over a new leaf on the second trip into the chamber and train with Trunks the same way.

Plus if he had, he wouldn't have been so amazed by Goku's power in the Cell Games. Goku might still be stronger, but not THAT much stronger.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell