Cell Arc Goku. Out of character???

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GTx10
Regular

Cell Arc Goku. Out of character???

Post by GTx10 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:32 pm

The original Japanese version depicts Son Kun as a "battle junky" for lack of better words. However Goku has Gohan battle Cell because he knows Gohan is stronger. Shouldn't Goku (the battle junky he is) want to train until he could surpass Cell? Not kill Cell, but rather surpass him. Two times Son has sent Gohan to beat a person, but for Beers he wanted to beat him personally. How could the same Son Goku, determined to surpass Lord Beers, give up his match to Cell? I'm utterly confused.
Now sure the 10 days was not enough time to train, but Son ignored the Room of Spirit and Time because he had "hope" or something in Son Gohan. But he had less time with Beers! Goku is a confusing man.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Cell Arc Goku. Out of character???

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:39 pm

Goku outright said he maxed out in the RoSaT and going in would do more harm than good.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:44 pm

Not to start the canon debate here, but BoG ain't canon. And honestly, things like that made me wish Toriyama didn't do BoG.

Plus, as for the Cell arc Goku, I thought it was great character development for him to pass the torch and have confidence on his son.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:49 pm

The idea that you can 'max out' goes against the whole spirit of the series. Shonen mangas are all about persevering, training to get better, never giving up, etc. In shonen mangas you can always get stronger and there is always someone stronger than you out there.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:58 pm

EXBadguy wrote:Not to start the canon debate here, but BoG ain't canon. And honestly, things like that made me wish Toriyama didn't do BoG.
I much prefer BoG than GT.

I don't see why it is OOC for Goku to act the way he did in the Cell arc. At least in the other fights he had some way of winning them. But in this fight there was no way he could beat Cell without Gohan doing it for him.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:11 pm

I was under the impression that BoG and RoF were part of the Manga's timeline.

We've got two sides. One side saying character development and Goku was maxed out. The other side saying Goku lives for the sole purpose to surpass his limits. No matter how you look at it, Goku seems out of character. He's a battle junky...and a bad father. Lol
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:29 pm

EXBadguy wrote:Not to start the canon debate here, but BoG ain't canon. And honestly, things like that made me wish Toriyama didn't do BoG.
If you don't intend to start a debate then why make this argument?

And yes, it IS canon to the manga.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:45 pm

Goku really couldn't get any stronger even if he tried. As DBZAOTA482 pointed out, he flat out stated that he had reached his peak after training in the ROSAT, while Gohan had far surpassed his limits. Hence why he gambled heavily on Gohan to win.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Goku really couldn't get any stronger even if he tried. As DBZAOTA482, he flat out stated the he had reached his peak after training in the ROSAT, while Gohan had far surpassed his limits. Hence why he gambled heavily on Gohan to win.
This, and he still fought his hardest to try to take out Cell. He almost did it too, with the instant Kamehameha. He only quit and let Gohan handle it when it was obvious that there was no point at all in continuing. He could have kept himself from giving Cell the senzu, though.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:01 pm

Manga + BOG is one aspect of the Dragonball Expanded Universe. That aspect, is canon to that universe.

As for Goku being OOC, he's a junkie, but he's not stupid. ROSAT training would have taken him no further, and if Goku did continue his fight with Cell, he would lose, which would have definitely destroyed morale. Having Gohan fight was the best possible thing he could do to save the world, whether he needs his fix or not. That's why no matter what he is a hero.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:25 pm

But Saiyans seemingly never fail to get stronger.
I totally see the argument that Goku still got his fix, while letting Gohan kick Cell's butt, and that's pretty valid. But this is the same man who was determined to battle Lord Beers again and he KNEW he was powerless against him. It just seems super odd to me.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:46 pm

GTx10 wrote:But Saiyans seemingly never fail to get stronger.
I totally see the argument that Goku still got his fix, while letting Gohan kick Cell's butt, and that's pretty valid. But this is the same man who was determined to battle Lord Beers again and he KNEW he was powerless against him. It just seems super odd to me.
I don't think you are getting Goku's point.

Goku knew that he had taken pretty much all he could from ROSAT training. To improve significantly, he required other kind of training because he had already fully hit the point of severe diminishing returns with the ROSAT. And there wasn't simply time to do other type of training.

I mean, look at Vegeta and Trunks. The first time they went to ROSAT, their improvements were huge and impressive. What about the second time they went in? Their improvements were so little that they didn't even managed to reach Goku's level that had only been there once. That means that Vegeta and Trunks hadn't hit the point of diminishing returns as severely as Goku the first time around but it was still significant enough for their second trip there to not be very impressive at all. A second trip for Goku would have been even less productive than it was for them.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:52 pm

Pretty much what the above says. Goku could get stronger from this point onwards. But the rate at which his strength would increase wouldn't be enough to make a difference. If you look at the story it took Goku and Vegeta 7 years just to catch up to Cell Games Gohan and surpass him. The only character who truly had enough strength to do anything to Cell at his full power. And even that is debatable in the community. So 2 years worth of training in 2 days would not be enough for Goku or Vegeta to get to the point where they were as strong as Gohan.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:12 pm

Hitiro wrote:Pretty much what the above says. Goku could get stronger from this point onwards. But the rate at which his strength would increase wouldn't be enough to make a difference. If you look at the story it took Goku and Vegeta 7 years just to catch up to Cell Games Gohan and surpass him. The only character who truly had enough strength to do anything to Cell at his full power. And even that is debatable in the community. So 2 years worth of training in 2 days would not be enough for Goku or Vegeta to get to the point where they were as strong as Gohan.

And allow Goku to surpass them both with Super Saiyan 3.

Maybe I'm focusing to much on Son's battle junky behavior, that its keeping me from seeing that he was smart enough (sort of) to see where he had to use some method to win the fight. The method in question is Son Gohan.

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:13 pm

rereboy wrote:
GTx10 wrote:But Saiyans seemingly never fail to get stronger.
I don't think you are getting Goku's point.

Goku knew that he had taken pretty much all he could from ROSAT training. To improve significantly, he required other kind of training because he had already fully hit the point of severe diminishing returns with the ROSAT. And there wasn't simply time to do other type of training.

I mean, look at Vegeta and Trunks. The first time they went to ROSAT, their improvements were huge and impressive. What about the second time they went in? Their improvements were so little that they didn't even managed to reach Goku's level that had only been there once. That means that Vegeta and Trunks hadn't hit the point of diminishing returns as severely as Goku the first time around but it was still significant enough for their second trip there to not be very impressive at all. A second trip for Goku would have been even less productive than it was for them.
I dunno about that, I think Vegeta and Trunks got just as much, if not more, out of their second trip. It's just that Goku got SO MUCH MORE from his first trip in general that they still couldn't even close the gap.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:04 pm

That certainly seemed like the case. Son Kun improved so much, that Vegeta and Trunks training paled compared to his.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:16 pm

I think he wanted Gohan to beat Cell. After all he wanted Gohan to be stronger than him.
Chapter: 377 (DBZ 183), P8.3-5
Gohan: “Dad, am I going to get in the way of your training?”
Goku: “At first, yeah. But once you’re able to become a Super Saiyan, you’ll really come in handy as a training partner, Gohan. That’s my ideal, anyway. Obviously I intend to obtain power surpassing Super Saiyan. I want to be stronger than anyone, after all. But Gohan, I intend for you to even further surpass me.”
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:06 am

Harsh, but Goku did seem to have plans for Gohan. Maybe it goes back to that whole "I won't be around forever, so be the strongest."

saunasolmu
Beyond Newbie

Post by saunasolmu » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:37 am

I don't think Goku would've had any problems with say, Vegeta beating Beerus. He disliked that he was given power that wasn't his own and that he could never reach by his own.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:05 am

Marco Polo wrote:The idea that you can 'max out' goes against the whole spirit of the series. Shonen mangas are all about persevering, training to get better, never giving up, etc. In shonen mangas you can always get stronger and there is always someone stronger than you out there.
So you wanted Goku to commit suicide or something?
Hitiro wrote:
I much prefer BoG than GT.
While I'm the opposite, at least as of now. I used to have the BoG>GT mindset until I realize how stupid some of the modern concepts are, but let's save that for another thread.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.