Why doesn't Gohan get SSJ3, SSJ4 or SSJSS?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ Human
Regular

Why doesn't Gohan get SSJ3, SSJ4 or SSJSS?

Post by SSJ Human » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:34 am

I don't understand why it's only Goku or Vegeta to get a new transformation while the other Saiyans are left being mediocre. Goten and Trunks never went past the first level of Super Saiyan and Gohan reaches his peak at Super Saiyan 2. I was okay with that in the context of Dragon Ball Z, but in GT I was mad that the hybrids were all left behind for the most part without the new transformation. Super Saiyan 3 not being a form of his only makes sense due to how much training it requires to attain it but with that being said it was stated that Gohan was by the end of Dragon Ball Z the strongest character that wasn't a fusion. If someone weaker such as his father or Gotenks can get the transformation, then why can't he?

What about you? Are you disappointed that he stops at transformations with Super Saiyan 2?

I know there are some people that are content with him not having any forms, but I'm not one of them, especially when he's been seen as the worthiest successor to his father. How can you live up to that with surpassing him in power and for the most part gaining the transformations he had?

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Why doesn't Gohan get SSJ3, SSJ4 or SSJSS?

Post by Doctor. » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:38 am

SSJ3 was easily the most useless transformation in the series and he got his potential unlocked which made him stronger than any SSJ3 at that point or stronger than what SSJ3 would have made him. The reason as to why he didn't get 4 in GT or SSJG in the new movies (besides the GT staff/Toriyama not wanting him to) is because he doesn't feel that burning desire to get stronger like the pure blooded Saiyans do. The only half-Saiyans I see that would still train even if there's no need to would be Future Trunks and Future Gohan, imo.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:40 am

Son Gohan has "mystic/ultimate" form, which somehow, is stronger than his Super Saiyan 2. But I wonder, why in your text there is no mention of Vegeta? Who also stopped at Super Saiyan 2. And now... After twenty years after the end of the series, he is finally getting a new form (two, actually).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:41 am

Super Saiyan 3: Because it's not in Gohan's character to push himself to attain things the way Goku does, and because he's not a magical being who can pull power out of nowhere like Gotenks.

Super Saiyan 4: Because one of the small handful of good things GT did was NOT devalue the incredible new form it introduced by letting everyone get it, especially characters who don't deserve it like the half-breeds. Also I, personally, like to think that only pure-blooded Saiyans are capable of SS4 anyway.

What is SSJSS supposed to be? The new form from Resurrection F that basically discarded the Super Saiyan God form's originality and uniqueness?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:43 am

Doctor. wrote:SSJ3 was easily the most useless transformation in the series and he got his potential unlocked which made him stronger than any SSJ3 at that point or stronger than what SSJ3 would have made him. The reason as to why he didn't get 4 in GT or SSJG in the new movies (besides the GT staff/Toriyama not wanting him to) is because he doesn't feel that burning desire to get stronger like the pure blooded Saiyans do. The only half-Saiyans I see that would still train even if there's no need to would be Future Trunks and Future Gohan, imo.
I'm specifically asking about the editorial decisions that are being made with his character, which defy logic when you consider the fact that Goku is almost always gone while Vegeta usually underestimates his enemies. Why would you as the strongest Saiyan-Human hybrid not want to get stronger to defend your family and the world you evidently care about?

Also I disagree, I think Goten and Trunks would train as well were it not for the fact that Toriyama wrote them to quit at some point. I can't imagine them training all those years and never gaining any new transformation apart from the first form of Super Saiyan. All those years and no progress? I don't think so.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:46 am

Kaboom wrote:Super Saiyan 3: Because it's not in Gohan's character to push himself to attain things the way Goku does, and because he's not a magical being who can pull power out of nowhere like Gotenks.

Super Saiyan 4: Because one of the small handful of good things GT did was NOT devalue the incredible new form it introduced by letting everyone get it, especially characters who don't deserve it like the half-breeds. Also I, personally, like to think that only pure-blooded Saiyans are capable of SS4 anyway.

What is SSJSS supposed to be? The new form from Resurrection F that basically discarded the Super Saiyan God form's originality and uniqueness?
I can see Super Saiyan 3 not being attained by him, but you're really telling me that he was not deserving of Super Saiyan 4? That three people having it would "devalue" it? I can see the argument for Goten and Trunks, but he was someone we had watched throughout the entire Z series and a major character that had the distinction of saving the world on his own without Goku's involvement. No other character in the series got the starring role apart from him like that. Why do you like to think that only pure-blooded Saiyans are capable of Super Saiyan 4?

That's the blue haired Super Saiyan transformation that we saw both Goku and Vegeta capable of using, which brings me back to my point. Why does it always have to only be these two characters who get new forms?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:48 am

Because Gohan was supposed to take a different route and never worry about transformations again.

I'm a big fan of Mystic's simplicity contrasted to the general rule of distorting your body more and more to draw out even greater strength.
Last edited by Rocketman on Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:50 am

Dyno wrote:Son Gohan has "mystic/ultimate" form, which somehow, is stronger than his Super Saiyan 2. But I wonder, why in your text there is no mention of Vegeta? Who also stopped at Super Saiyan 2. And now... After twenty years after the end of the series, he is finally getting a new form (two, actually).
In GT he got Super Saiyan 4 which is a form he retains in other media and is treated much better in getting forms than Gohan. It's either him or Goku that gets a new form everytime. It was them in GT, in the last movie (since Vegeta went Super Saiyan God off-screen apparently) and now in this. It would have been that way with Super Saiyan 2 apart from Gohan having the transformation as well. That brings me back. Why can't Gohan be one of three characters to have Super Saiyan 3 or Super Saiyan 4? I don't buy any of this devaluing thing. A transformations not devalued when only three people can do it and he's much more deserving of the forms than Goten or Trunks.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:00 pm

Goku and Vegeta are the ones who are constantly working hard and pushing themselves to achieve things like new Super Saiyan forms. So they "deserve" them more than Gohan, who only ever trains and fights out of necessity or for occasional sport. Things like new forms are the result of that hard work.

The Shonen Jump motto is "friendship, effort, victory," not "apathy, freebies, victory."
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:12 pm

Kaboom wrote:Goku and Vegeta are the ones who are constantly working hard and pushing themselves to achieve things like new Super Saiyan forms. So they "deserve" them more than Gohan, who only ever trains and fights out of necessity or for occasional sport. Things like new forms are the result of that hard work.

The Shonen Jump motto is "friendship, effort, victory," not "apathy, freebies, victory."
You've got a point with the other forms, but with Super Saiyan 4, from what I remember, you needed to turn into a Golden Great Ape after gaining the Super Saiyan transformation and then control yourself, leading into the Super Saiyan 4 form. Vegeta didn't get that from hard work, instead being shot by a device while Goku got it after merely growing his tail back. That's not hard work. Gohan could have easily gotten that transformation and would have made more sense than the other hybrids since he was confirmed to have had a tail at one point.

He could have briefly gotten Super Saiyan God and if brought by the writers, could have easily gotten the new transformation or Super Saiyan 3 by explaining that he had been training. Training was what got him Super Saiyan 2 before either Goku or Vegeta.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:56 pm

As far as Gohan goes, I always figured he had the potential to reach SSj3 but since he doesn't train like Goku or Vegeta he never actually did (or will.) That, and his "mystic/ultimate" power-up already unlocked his dormant power "way, way beyond his limits" (vs. SSj3 which is described as only bringing out the limits of Super Saiyan power), so he's already stronger than a hypothetical "Buu Saga Gohan who trained after Cell and unlocked SSj3" would've been. Well, was stronger, anyway -- it's sounding like he might have lost that power-up as of the new movie and had to go back to just using Super Saiyan again, so he's "post-Z-sword training" Gohan at best now.

Goten and Trunks are a similar case -- if Gotenks has SSj3, then the individual kids should have the potential to reach SSj2 and SSj3 also... but since the kids slacked off rather than keeping up their training, they never managed to actually advance to higher transformations at all, and probably got even weaker just like Gohan did. I figure the alternate future Trunks probably managed at least SSj2, though, since he doesn't seem to be the type to stop training (especially since he's the last strong fighter his world has, and his run-ins with Cell should've shown him pretty clearly that a new enemy stronger than the Androids coming out of nowhere isn't an unreasonable possibility.)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:50 pm

Kaboom wrote:Goku and Vegeta are the ones who are constantly working hard and pushing themselves to achieve things like new Super Saiyan forms. So they "deserve" them more than Gohan, who only ever trains and fights out of necessity or for occasional sport. Things like new forms are the result of that hard work.

Super Saiyan God took so much effort

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:21 pm

SSJ3 is incredibly impractical so I don't think Toriyama would bother giving it to him. SSJ4 is quite complicated to achieve, but honestly, I'm going along with the opinion of Kaboom, I think SSJ4 should be exlusively for the pure bloods (Goku and Vegeta). SSJSS can still happen for Gohan. he was a part of the SSJ God ritual along with Vegeta, who became a SSJSS in ROF. So the jury is still out for that one.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: I think SSJ4 should be exlusively for the pure bloods (Goku and Vegeta).
Why? SSJ4 requires Oozaru and SSJ. Gohan has been shown to be able to use both.

I would understand that opinion regarding Trunks and Goten since it's stated somewhere that they were born without tails and there never use Oozaru or have tails in the manga. But Gohan has it.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:28 pm

Actually even Gine and Tarble are able to get Super Saiyan God ("Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" in the process). If they don't absorb in the first time, well... How many times the ritual can be done? Is there a limit? Or Vegeta is a prodigy as well?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:49 pm

rereboy wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: I think SSJ4 should be exlusively for the pure bloods (Goku and Vegeta).

I would understand that opinion regarding Trunks and Goten since it's stated somewhere that they were born without tails and there never use Oozaru or have tails in the manga. But Gohan has it.
I just would much rather have a transformation exclusively for 1-2 characters rather than having every character than has Saiyan blood in them have it byt hta process, make the transformation less special and unique. But just that's just me.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:17 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
rereboy wrote:

I just would much rather have a transformation exclusively for 1-2 characters rather than having every character than has Saiyan blood in them have it byt hta process, make the transformation less special and unique. But just that's just me.
I tend to go along with Toriyama's statement that the tails were a recessive trait. That being said, since Gohan was the only hybrid that was seen with one, then it would only make sense that he could obtain it.

I'm a little tired of this claim that one more person is going to make these transformations less special. If you're not open to Gohan getting SSJ3 or SSJ4, then who do you think should have it apart from Goku and Vegeta (and in the case of SSJ3, Gotenks)? I thought he should have it above any of the other Saiyans apart from those two because for marketing purposes he's much more popular than Goten and Trunks and since these are Dragon Ball Z films, from a series that essentially focuses on his growth from child to man, it would only make sense to throw him a bone every one and a while rather than having him play second fiddle to his father and his rival in every form of media apart from the series itself and Bojack Unbound.

Three people having these forms won't do anything to ruin them.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:00 pm

That's honestly a load of crap. Dragon Ball never really pushes the effort angle, and Goku and Vegeta exploit free power ups constantly. Even the developments they make from training don't consistently match the length of time or effort involved.

Things like Super Saiyan 4, and Super Saiyan God, weren't achieved through effort and training. So while it makes sense for Goku/Vegeta to surpass Gohan during that 7 years training between Cell and Boo, it doesn't make sense that they're the ones who get the free power ups just because they train. The two things simply aren't related at all.

I also don't see how Gohan training or fighting for necessity makes him undeserving. If anything, that he actually does train and fight when he thinks necessary is rather admirable - he's doing something he doesn't enjoy in order to help out and protect those he cares about. Meanwhile, there's nothing really admirable in Goku and Vegeta's training because they just do it out of personal enjoyment - and they actually neglect their family and friends to do it. Their enjoyment of battle is also not admirable at all, it leads to both of them putting their friends in danger so that they can get more satisfaction out of it.

After one time neglecting his training in the manga, during a period of peace, Gohan is never allowed to live that down. Goku and Vegeta constantly neglect everyone else, and never have to suffer for it - they have lasting relationships and friendships despite putting no effort into them, why does Gohan get punished for not putting effort into training? Hell, Kuririn quite training and he still gets to be stronger than Tenshinhan.

It's just especially weird when Dragon Ball has shown that training is not the only way to gain strength, or that it never showed that there was anything wrong with gaining strength through other means. This stigma against free power ups just doesn't hold up when Goku is the most frequent receiver of them.

I also don't see why purity of blood is so important, or why giving Super Saiyan 4 to one more person is going to devalue it. Frankly, giving it to Vegeta on the spot with a quick zap from a machine devalues it more than anything else would. I'm waiting to actually see the movie, but I will say that if Vegeta shows off Super Saiyan God SS without an explanation (and just leaving the assumption that all the development happened off-screen) I'd say that's already devalued as well.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Post by Berserker1921 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:28 pm

Saiga wrote:

That's honestly a load of crap. Dragon Ball never really pushes the effort angle, and Goku and Vegeta exploit free power ups constantly. Even the developments they make from training don't consistently match the length of time or effort involved.

Things like Super Saiyan 4, and Super Saiyan God, weren't achieved through effort and training. So while it makes sense for Goku/Vegeta to surpass Gohan during that 7 years training between Cell and Boo, it doesn't make sense that they're the ones who get the free power ups just because they train. The two things simply aren't related at all.

I also don't see how Gohan training or fighting for necessity makes him undeserving. If anything, that he actually does train and fight when he thinks necessary is rather admirable - he's doing something he doesn't enjoy in order to help out and protect those he cares about. Meanwhile, there's nothing really admirable in Goku and Vegeta's training because they just do it out of personal enjoyment - and they actually neglect their family and friends to do it. Their enjoyment of battle is also not admirable at all, it leads to both of them putting their friends in danger so that they can get more satisfaction out of it.

After one time neglecting his training in the manga, during a period of peace, Gohan is never allowed to live that down. Goku and Vegeta constantly neglect everyone else, and never have to suffer for it - they have lasting relationships and friendships despite putting no effort into them, why does Gohan get punished for not putting effort into training? Hell, Kuririn quite training and he still gets to be stronger than Tenshinhan.

It's just especially weird when Dragon Ball has shown that training is not the only way to gain strength, or that it never showed that there was anything wrong with gaining strength through other means. This stigma against free power ups just doesn't hold up when Goku is the most frequent receiver of them.

I also don't see why purity of blood is so important, or why giving Super Saiyan 4 to one more person is going to devalue it. Frankly, giving it to Vegeta on the spot with a quick zap from a machine devalues it more than anything else would. I'm waiting to actually see the movie, but I will say that if Vegeta shows off Super Saiyan God SS without an explanation (and just leaving the assumption that all the development happened off-screen) I'd say that's already devalued as well.
You have to remember gohan doesn't want power. Doesn't want to be stronger. In the past he did because he had too from the sayians-to cell arc. Yes you can argue he wanted to be like his father. Yet some times he rather just study. I think eventually his mom trying to make him a scholar finally got to him. Especially during those 7 years Goku was dead. If goku didn't die. Then we be seeing a ssj god super Saiyan gohan. I think it's because he never really loved fighting. Just wanted to hang with his father. And the only thing his dad wanted to do was train and fight strong enemies. But as he got older he realized that his dad or vegeta can handle it. Because that's what drives them. To be the strongest and the best. I am sure if he actually gave a damn and wanted to train he be the strongest in the universe. Or third. Lol you have to remember that gohan doesn't want to be best.

Also to argue your next point to why goku and vegeta get power up without training or off screen. Your forgetting mystic gohan. He sat on his butt for 24-30 hrs as old Kai unlocked his potential. If gohan needed to he would have taken the same rays to make him a ssj4. Or done the ritual to become a god. But he doesn't need too. Goku and vegeta got it and so far no one is dead. (Well mostly thanks to the dragon balls). I think he doesn't have the strive to do this. He wants to be a scholar and goof father to pan. The problem or thing he learned was that since goku trains and dies a lot. He was never there for him. So he decided to focus on his family. I am sure if goku and vegeta die suddenly and can't be revived. That's when you will see gohan pushed above his limits

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:35 pm

'X' doesn't get 'Y' because the series is too set in its ways to change.