What non-canon addition should be canon?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

What non-canon addition should be canon?

Post by Bacon Skittles » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:27 am

<deleted>
Last edited by Bacon Skittles on Sun May 23, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What non-canon addition should be canon?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:10 am

-The whole episode of Gohan's birthday and the flashbacks in it.
- Cooler (not M5 or M6 but Cooler as a character)
- Gogeta (same as above)
- The driving episode

Broly should not be canon or anything with this "SSJ Devil" crap. It gives his fanboys even more reason to hype and overrate him much more than they already do

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:01 am

Bacon Skittles wrote:Whether it can fit into the canon or you just happen to like it, what should be canon?

Bojack Unbound and Wrath of the Dragon are good candidates for fitting perfectly within the canon. Golden Oozaru also seems to be fine. I think Super Saiyan 4 could be recolored and renamed. I like the idea of a "compressed Oozaru form but not as a Super Saiyan form. The same goes for the red hair. It should be brown/black. Image

Though I would be fine with the red hair as long as the user could go Super Saiyan, thus changing the body hair to golden. Also Broly. If Goku is a Super Saiyan God, then Broky should be the Super Saiyan Devil. The LSS form has a green tint to it. Red and green are compliments/opposites of each other. Since initial Super Saiyan God is red, this would be a great comparison.

Cooler could be reworked slightly and the same for Super Android 13, but they seem very likely to exist in the canon. Except for Metal Cooler.
Where is that image from? Also, the word you're looking for is continuity, not canon.

For me, it would be the Bardock special. Just remove all scenes with Goku in them and adjust Vegeta's character design and it can work: Bardock gets impatient waiting on Vegeta for an entire month, so when a bunch of his friends take off to conquer a planet, he goes with them.

Movie 13 is the other thing I would add. Just change Tapion's sword so that it's not Future Trunks' sword. Make the movie how it played out -the tale of a Tapion and Trunks- instead of the story of how Future Trunks got his sword.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:11 am

Dayspring wrote:Where is that image from?
It's from the anime, when Goku's transforming into a SSJ3.

OT: I'd like the anime version of History and Trunks to override the manga version, for the entire Bardock OVA to be canon, and for some of the extended anime fight scenes such as base Vegito vs Buu to be canon.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:14 am

Dayspring, that shot is from the Super Saiyan 3 Goku transformation scene in the anime. Part of a trippy sequence where the camera zooms into Goku's eye and shows the Oozaru shrinking down into infant Goku.

I would happily incorporate Movie 12 into the continuity but it really is not possible. Movie 9 is fantastic and I endorse that particularly for being the most cohesive movie of them all as it pertains to the manga.

And even though I have always put the manga first, I strongly prefer the Bardock Special over DB- and haven't really let go of the idea that it took place in the same continuity as the manga. Such a damn good story.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:30 am

Duo wrote:Dayspring, that shot is from the Super Saiyan 3 Goku transformation scene in the anime. Part of a trippy sequence where the camera zooms into Goku's eye and shows the Oozaru shrinking down into infant Goku.

I would happily incorporate Movie 12 into the continuity but it really is not possible.

Thanks! I also really love movie 12, but it just can't fit with Goku and Vegeta being dead. Shame. :(
Movie 9 is fantastic and I endorse that particularly for being the most cohesive movie of them all as it pertains to the manga.
I think I'm misreading this. How does it pertain to the manga?
And even though I have always put the manga first, I strongly prefer the Bardock Special over DB- and haven't really let go of the idea that it took place in the same continuity as the manga. Such a damn good story.
Agreed. Even his contradicting personality traits in the movie work because of Minus now. If only it weren't for the scenes with the kids in them!
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:48 am

His personality is not contradictory. Pratically all the scenes Bardock was "calm" came along with baby Kakarot, so all those scenes can't be considered together with Dragon Ball Minus. Even that being said, all that was left is Planet Meat events, that scene along does not contradict anything, is Bardock in action, just like the beginning of Minus. So his personality still match. Heck, it is even possible to consider Bardock calling the others in order to fight Freeza, but for unknown reason (actually because Toriyama is lazy enough or just worried in reviving someone else who didn't need this at all) the Saiyans didn't go with Bardock.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:16 pm

Dyno wrote:His personality is not contradictory. Pratically all the scenes Bardock was "calm" came along with baby Kakarot, so all those scenes can't be considered together with Dragon Ball Minus. Even that being said, all that was left is Planet Meat events, that scene along does not contradict anything, is Bardock in action, just like the beginning of Minus. So his personality still match. Heck, it is even possible to consider Bardock calling the others in order to fight Freeza, but for unknown reason (actually because Toriyama is lazy enough or just worried in reviving someone else who didn't need this at all) the Saiyans didn't go with Bardock.
I meant more that Saiyans are depicted as being cold and uncaring, but Bardock does something out of character like the bandanna thing. Pairing it up with Minus gives you the explanation: he flat-out says Gine is making him more and more soft.

Like you, I feel the rest contradicts nothing. Gine's absence is explained by the movie: she's not a combatant and he never has the downtime to see her. Not sure why you think the others not going with Bardock means Toriyama's lazy. The movie shows that they don't believe him. Plus, Toriyama didn't make the movie. The only scenes that don't work are the ones with Goku and Vegeta. Even then, it's easy to look past all the Vegeta scenes aside from the last one.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:29 pm

Dayspring wrote:I meant more that Saiyans are depicted as being cold and uncaring, but Bardock does something out of character like the bandanna thing. Pairing it up with Minus gives you the explanation: he flat-out says Gine is making him more and more soft.

Like you, I feel the rest contradicts nothing. Gine's absence is explained by the movie: she's not a combatant and he never has the downtime to see her. Not sure why you think the others not going with Bardock means Toriyama's lazy. The movie shows that they don't believe him. Plus, Toriyama didn't make the movie. The only scenes that don't work are the ones with Goku and Vegeta. Even then, it's easy to look past all the Vegeta scenes aside from the last one.
Remember, Minus takes place one month... Gine making him softer is okay and still can fit with the bandanna thing, you know. He had his friends killed. But given Bardock's reaction to it and revenging them right away, his softness can still be applied, or at least, towards Gine and some other fellows. Not to mention that scene explains why Bardock appeared with bandanna in Chapter 307.

Actually you misunderstood... Toriyama's supposed (I'm not saying he is indeed lazy) laziness is due to him not covering the rest of the month and/or his explaination as to why Bardock appeared with bandanna, why the Saiyans didn't go with him, even though Gine is not a perfect combatant, why would she leave Bardock to deal with that situation alone.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:46 pm

Dyno wrote:Remember, Minus takes place one month... Gine making him softer is okay and still can fit with the bandanna thing, you know. He had his friends killed. But given Bardock's reaction to it and revenging them right away, his softness can still be applied, or at least, towards Gine and some other fellows. Not to mention that scene explains why Bardock appeared with bandanna in Chapter 307.
I'm not disagreeing. I'm saying Bardock having friends in the special is a contradiction until Minus introduced Gine's influence over him. As mentioned, the ONLY scenes that flat-out fail are those pertaining to Goku.

And to play devil's advocate, the bandanna in the manga can be explained away as him having a bandanna. :P
Actually you misunderstood... Toriyama's supposed (I'm not saying he is indeed lazy) laziness is due to him not covering the rest of the month and/or his explaination as to why Bardock appeared with bandanna, why the Saiyans didn't go with him, even though Gine is not a perfect combatant, why would she leave Bardock to deal with that situation alone.
I disagree. It's a bonus chapter to Jaco. Having a chapter showing Bardock get bored for a few weeks and then another chapter or two re-enacting the rest of the special wouldn't make sense and would result in the page count of Jaco being far too big.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:15 pm

Dayspring wrote:I'm not disagreeing. I'm saying Bardock having friends in the special is a contradiction until Minus introduced Gine's influence over him. As mentioned, the ONLY scenes that flat-out fail are those pertaining to Goku.

And to play devil's advocate, the bandanna in the manga can be explained away as him having a bandanna. :P
Ah, got it now, sorry. xD But I don't know... It was said Bardock had a four-people team long time ago, which Gine was also part of it.
Dayspring wrote:I disagree. It's a bonus chapter to Jaco. Having a chapter showing Bardock get bored for a few weeks and then another chapter or two re-enacting the rest of the special wouldn't make sense and would result in the page count of Jaco being far too big.
Indeed. That is exactly where it should be told us more about the Saiyans in general, their legends, their connection with Freeza, Tsufurujins/war, everything about King Vegeta, his royality... Tell us a perfect background. And then, one month passed... But instead, everything was just rushed to end like that. :|

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:38 pm

- Broly should be retconned and canon.

- Cooler should be retconned and canon.

- Pikkon and the other world tournament saga should be canon (excluding scene where Pikkon and Goku travel to hell)
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:07 pm

History of Trunks and Bardock the Father of Goku.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:17 pm

- Cooler
- The Other World Tournament
- Wrath Of The Dragon
- Fusion Reborn
Doctor. wrote:History of Trunks and Bardock the Father of Goku.

Umm... 90% of the events in both those TV special special still take place.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:34 pm

The Cooler and Bojack movies fit almost to good to not include them.

Some of the filler fights should be included:

- The Ginyu force vs Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Chaoz.
- Piccolo vs Freeza while Goku is doing the Genkidama.
- Krillin vs Imperfect Cell.
- Piccolo vs Babidi.
- Krillin vs Super Buu.
- SSJ3 Goku vs Buutenks.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:36 pm

Zombie wrote:The Cooler and Bojack movies fit almost to good to not include them.

Some of the filler fights should be included:

- The Ginyu force vs Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Chaoz.
- Piccolo vs Freeza while Goku is doing the Genkidama.
- Krillin vs Imperfect Cell.
- Piccolo vs Babidi.
- Krillin vs Super Buu.
- SSJ3 Goku vs Buutenks.
Crap, I forgot about Bojack Unbound. :oops: That would be a great epilogue for the Cell Games.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:39 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Umm... 90% of the events in both those TV special special still take place.
I'd say 90% of the events during History of Trunks take place, but that's not the case with the Bardock special, a lot of things are very different from Toriyama's version. Regarding History of Trunks, I feel Toei changed the special chapter for the better (adding more substance to the special, adding more depth to Gohan's character, only letting Trunks go SSJ when Gohan dies, etc), hence why I nominated it.

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bacon Skittles » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:54 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:- Cooler
- The Other World Tournament
- Wrath Of The Dragon
- Fusion Reborn
I totally forgot about the Other World Tournament. It totally can fit within the canon (though some very minor changes.) However I feel that it had a lot of potential that was never used. Goku could have met the original Super Saiyan, Bardock, and even far stronger characters. I very much doubt that by the time the Cell Saga ended that Goku is the strongest dead character ever. Also Fusion Reborn should have been rewritten and fit within the Other World Tournament Saga and not during the Buu Saga.

Also why do people keep insisting that Future Trunks has the Brave Sword? They're two completely different swords. Tapion's can slice through Hirudegarn while Future Trunks's sword can't slice through an android.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Bacon Skittles wrote:Also why do people keep insisting that Future Trunks has the Brave Sword? They're two completely different swords. Tapion's can slice through Hirudegarn while Future Trunks's sword can't slice through an android.
That has to do with both the fact that Kid Trunks was stronger than Future Trunks at that point and that Hirudegarn was off-guard while Android 18 was aware Trunks was attacking her.
Last edited by Doctor. on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:32 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Bacon Skittles wrote:Also why do people keep insisting that Future Trunks has the Brave Sword? They're two completely different swords. Tapion's can slice through Hirudegarn while Future Trunks's sword can't slice through an android.
That has to do with both the fact that Kid Trunks was stronger than Future Trunks at that point and that Hirudegarn was off-guard while Android 18 was aware Trunks was attacking him.
But the canon welders fail to realize that it would have been impossible for the box that held Tapion and Hildegarn to be opened in the Mirai Timeline. No Dragonballs after all.