Was manga Man-Wolf superhuman?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Was manga Man-Wolf superhuman?

Post by Angelus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:52 am

Or was he just a regular human fighter like Mr. Satan?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Was manga Man-Wolf superhuman?

Post by Herms » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:03 am

He brags about being a 30 Dan martial artist (a real world martial arts rank), which makes me think he's probably roughly as strong as a regular, non-wolf martial artist of that same rank (or at least, as strong as 30 Dan martial artists are in DB world). Otherwise he'd probably brag about being half-wolf, unless he finds his wolf-ness too embarrassing. His claws and fangs are an advantage, but probably not enough for him to qualify as a full-blown "superhuman". And he never tries to bite Jackie, oddly.

Edit: Actually never mind, Dan is a real world martial arts ranking system, but near as I can tell (after several seconds of grueling research), it just goes up to 10. So Man-Wolf claiming to be a 30 Dan is probably meant as a crazy over-the-top claim, like saying he scored 900 in bowling. If we assume he's not just lying and that 30 Dan is an actual thing in DB world, then he might qualify as superhuman based on that, since it would theoretically make him stronger than any real world martial artist.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:28 am

Well, the higher levels of "Dan/Degree" of most martial arts isn't based on skill anymore and is attained by your contribution to the community and the martial arts world (of your martial arts) and your efforts in publicizing the martial art.

Steven Seagal is a 7th Degree/Dan in Aikido. I think it's all skill up to 5th dan. Generally, the lower dan ranks are validated on the basis of knowledge and physical skill. The higher the dan rank, the more leadership ability, teaching experience, and service to the style play a role in promotion.

This could mean he contributed to that said martial art superbly... 30 Dan. Damn. XD

30 Dan... did he mean 30th Dan Blackbelt or 30 Dans (plural) Blackbelt, implying blackbelts in 30 different martial arts?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:58 am

I'd think a wolfman would be stronger than a normal person.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:09 am

Angelus wrote:30 Dan... did he mean 30th Dan Blackbelt or 30 Dans (plural) Blackbelt, implying blackbelts in 30 different martial arts?
The former.
Polyphase Avatron wrote:I'd think a wolfman would be stronger than a normal person.
He's definitely stronger than a normal person (he's a tournament finalist after all). But counting as "superhuman" is another matter. It's extra tricky because in DB even "normal" people tend to have cartoonishly exaggerated abilities. And when training Goku at the start of the series, Kame-sennin talks as if Goku isn't already superhuman and needs to train to reach that point, which seems ridiculous unless DB Earth has a much higher standard for what qualifies as "superhuman" than the real world.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:22 am

Herms wrote:But counting as "superhuman" is another matter. It's extra tricky because in DB even "normal" people tend to have cartoonishly exaggerated abilities. And when training Goku at the start of the series, Kame-sennin talks as if Goku isn't already superhuman and needs to train to reach that point, which seems ridiculous unless DB Earth has a much higher standard for what qualifies as "superhuman" than the real world.
Come to think of it, the tall and short Orin Temple Bullies were superhuman right? They were bullying pre-Roshi training Krillin. Presumably, they were more powerful than that Krillin. I bet either of them could have probably beaten Ranfan, if they didn't get eliminated early.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:52 am

He can beat the shit outta Mr. Satan or Videl... that's for certain (I doubt those two would even make it past the prelims in any of the real tournaments).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Diotor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diotor » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:13 am

I'd probably put him at Panput's level.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:10 pm

I think Man-Wolf is on the cusp of superhuman. He would certainly be able to kick Mr Satan and Videl's ass no problem.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:23 pm

Even in human form? That is his original form.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I think Man-Wolf is on the cusp of superhuman. He would certainly be able to kick Mr Satan and Videl's ass no problem.
Videl's flight could be a problem.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Angelus wrote:Even in human form? That is his original form.
I don't think as a human he's on the cusp of superhuman strength or abilities.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:38 pm

So you think Videl can beat human form Man-Wolf?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:43 pm

Angelus wrote:So you think Videl can beat human form Man-Wolf?
Man-Wolf is a girl chaser. Of course she'd beat him.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:08 pm

But he's a martial artist. XD

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:19 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I think Man-Wolf is on the cusp of superhuman. He would certainly be able to kick Mr Satan and Videl's ass no problem.
Videl's flight could be a problem.
Videl can't do much while flying or is she particularly fast and Man-wolf could probably jump high enough.
Angelus wrote:But he's a martial artist. XD
But he's also a flirt. He!d be too focused on lusting over Videl than fighting back.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:57 pm

For the record, it's technically possible to surpass 10 Dan by learning multiple martial arts variations. For example, Kempo has two big ones (US and Japanese styles) and it's not uncommon for practitioners to master both at the same time. So if someone was 5 Dan in Japanese Kempo and 5 Dan in American Kempo, they'd have 10 Dans in Kempo but not be a 10-Dan Kempo practitioner. Either way, 30 Dans is ridiculously impressive, because it implies he's either a 10-Dan Kempo practitioner in the each of the three major Kempo styles or that he's mastered more than the big three at multiple levels (note: a person wouldn't really be 7-Dan in US Kempo and a 3-Dan in Japanese, because the variations wouldn't be THAT different).

In short, Man-Wolf is damn strong, probably stronger than Satan. However, I wouldn't put him on par with Pamputt.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:30 pm

Dayspring wrote:(note: a person wouldn't really be 7-Dan in US Kempo and a 3-Dan in Japanese, because the variations wouldn't be THAT different)
What did you mean by this? So a guy with both a US 7 Dan and a Japanese 3 Dan would be a 10 Dan?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:03 pm

Angelus wrote:
Dayspring wrote:(note: a person wouldn't really be 7-Dan in US Kempo and a 3-Dan in Japanese, because the variations wouldn't be THAT different)
What did you mean by this? So a guy with both a US 7 Dan and a Japanese 3 Dan would be a 10 Dan?
Yes, but it's more likely that if he was doing both, he'd probably be a 7 Dan in both.

EDIT: The point being, if he actually were a 30-Dan practitioner in one DB-World style as a means of showing off how awesome he is, then he'd likely give Kamesennin a run for his money.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.