Accurate description of Dragon Ball Z timeline ?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shonenhikada
Banned

Accurate description of Dragon Ball Z timeline ?

Post by shonenhikada » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:24 am

Integrates the movies and main timeline. Agree or disagree ?

thefalseprophecy
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Accurate description of Dragon Ball Z timeline ?

Post by thefalseprophecy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:37 am

I like it myself! :thumbup: The only thing is that I can't imagine a confrontation with Freeza after Movie 4 and I don't know why The Trunks Special is after the Boo stuff... However, that being said, a lot of thought went into it!
Last edited by thefalseprophecy on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:46 am

History of Trunks should be on a separate timeline branching from the Artificial Human material...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:19 pm

Regarding Garlic Jr and movies 1-5:

Movie 1 would be the catalyst that allows for Goku to arrive on time to fight the Saiyans. It would result in him being a bit stronger when Raditz kills him, which means he'd reach and return from Kaio's a bit ahead of the manga's timeline. To make it in time for the fight against the Saiyans, he only needs to be somewhere between 3 and 4 hours quicker.

So Timeline 1 is the manga, Timeline 2 is movie 1.

From there, movies 2 and 3 are somehow both exactly a year after the Saiyan saga (the Dragonballs are used). So movie 2 is Timeline 2 and movie 3 is Timeline 3. Neither feature Freeza because defeating the Saiyans on time means Piccolo wouldn't die and, with Piccolo not being dead, there'd be no reason to go to Namek.

This movie 3 timeline branches off into two, because each continues the story of Haiyaa Dragon who gets introduced in this film. Continuing Timeline 3 the most logically gets us movie 4 a year later, whereas Garlic Jr somehow takes place after a series of Freeza battles instead but before Goku's return.

Movie 5 takes place in the three year gap, continuing the Garlic Jr timeline. There are then two timelines branching out of it. One leads to the android saga, the other is movie 6.

It's not possible for Goku to have died in the Cell Games if Vegeta killed semi-perfect Cell, so from there, I see the android saga (continuing movie 5's timeline) branching off into two directions. One leads to the gang defeating the androids by virtue of being stronger on account of movies 3, 5 and the Garlic Jr saga. This would be movie 7's timeline. One leads to them relying on ROSAT to defeat Cell in the Cell Games, but not on FP-SSJ and USSJ because of how much stronger they are. During the days leading up to the Cell Games, movie 8 occurs. Because of how much stronger they are after movie 8, Cell is defeated without the need of SSJ2. This leads to movie 9.

Movie 10 then occurs exactly as you say it does, with the timeline branching off into two during the Budokai. The one in which Babidi is defeated leads to movie 11, whereas the other one leads to a Boo saga. The Boo saga splits in two, one leading to movie 12 as you mentioned and the other continuing as seen in the manga. The non-12 timeline becomes movie 13.

Waaaay over in the manga timeline, Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return! takes place (it's not a DBZ movie, it's Toriyama's contribution to the Shonen Jump anniversary, so it's manga timeline). BoG and RoF are sequels to this timeline.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Nicely done timeline, man. :thumbup:

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:06 pm

Except "Bardock vs Freeza" scene from the TV Special is not a "movie" thing, and it is in the main timeline.