Why didn't Trunks & Goten have tails?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mictaliano

Why didn't Trunks & Goten have tails?

Post by mictaliano » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:31 am

I don't know if this has been answered yet, but why did Gohan have a tail, but Goten and Trunks didn't? They are all 2nd generation saiyens! Has this been explained in the series in any way, shape or form?
I'm on a PSP. And I'm trying to follow the rules!

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:40 am

Toriyama stated their tails were removed at birth. Current fan theory is that he forgot about the tails and said that to clear his tracks.

Or maybe we're mean.

But yeah, that's more or less the official answer.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:04 am

Goku and Chi-chi were away from everyone else after the 23rd Budokai. Son Gohan was born and Ox King was likely the only other person aside from his parents he saw for the first couple years of his life. So no one who knew about Oozaru was around to say anything to them about it.

By the time Son Goten and trunks came along, Bulma knew full well about Oozaru transformations. Chi-chi most likely knew as well (perhaps Bulma or Gohan told her about the transformations).

So story wise thier tails were most likely removed at birth for thier safety, the safety of others and for them to appear as normal humans and fit nto society better. Vegeta was training fo the androids when Trunks was born and was not around to protest such a decision. Goku was dead when Goten was born and also had no say in the matter. Most likely a maternal decision on both counts.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:39 am

B-kun wrote:Toriyama stated their tails were removed at birth. Current fan theory is that he forgot about the tails and said that to clear his tracks.

Or maybe we're mean.

But yeah, that's more or less the official answer.
*slaps B* That's not the reason Toriyama-sama gave. He said that: "Tails are a recessive trait. Goten and Trunks were born without them." Which defies real-world logic since, being recessive, Gohan shouldn't have had one either.

But, ya, it's still the offical reason Recessive trait, not born with tails.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:48 am

I could get into the whole science behind recessive traits and all that about this...but I've tried it once and it was a big waste of thought.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:04 am

Duo wrote:I could get into the whole science behind recessive traits and all that about this...but I've tried it once and it was a big waste of thought.
Yeah, I've heard good logical reasons of why Goten and Trunks would have to have been born with tails. But I still think they weren't. This is not a show where you want to apply real world logic.

On another note, which was it that Toriyama actually said? And when did he say it?

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:33 am

I remember in the manga when Kuririn first met baby Trunks he asked what happened to his tail, but we don't get an answer... I guess Toriyama just wanted to leave tells out of the picture and so decided to let everybody come up with their own reasons as to why Goku and Vegeta's tails never naturally came back and Goten and Trunks were never seen to have one.

In that one Shonen Jump that came out a few years ago he was asked why Goten and Trunks didn't have tails and he said, "It would seem tails are a recessive genetic trait." He probably had never even thought about it and just made that up when he was asked. If that's the answer then it just means the chances of half saiya-jin/humans being born without a tail is greater than the chances of them being born with one(that must be how traits work in the DB world, it's obviously not the same as real genetics or it'd be impossible for them to have tails and even 75% of the pure saiya-jins would be tail-less :P ).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:48 am

Yeah, recessive traits seem to be the best explanation. I'm no expert, but I'll see what I can say. Think about it this way; Gohan, Goten, and Trunks are each half-saiyan, half-human. They each have one fully Saiyan parent, with the genes for a tail, and one fully human parent, with no tail genes. So they've got a 50/50 chance of having or not having a tail. Gohan happened to land in the "tail" half, but Goten and Trunks didn't. So by the same logic, Pan only had a 25% chance of having a tail, and Goku Jr. had who-knows how little, and so on...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:57 am

AGH. Thanks, Xyex. X_X S'what I get for being online when, by all logic, I should be sleeping.

Sorry, guys, recessive genes is the right one.

HP
Beyond Newbie

Post by HP » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:58 am

^ That's a good point, SSj Kaboom. I simply like to think their tails were removed at birth, though.
beareyes [img]http://image1.beareyes.com.cn/joytlun/img/238.gif[/img]

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:21 pm

I agree that it was simply genetics. Trunks and Goten's generation was different than Gohan's in that they were able to transform into Super Saiyans easier at a young age and they were not born with tails.

Half saiyan's mixed blood of human and saiyan gives them special abillities. For Gohan, he was born with a tail and had hidden potential triggered by rage that eventually allowed him to transform into a Super Saiyan 2. The old Kai also saw more hidden power and released it. By GT, Gohan was able to control this special energy and that made his Super Saiyan 2 form even stronger. Trunks and Goten's mixed blood allowed them to naturally be able to control high amounts of power. This advantage allowed them to transform into Super Saiyans. They got used to it since they transformed so early on and never reached Super Saiyan 2 because they were specially skilled as Super Saiyans just as Gohan was skilled as a Super Saiyan 2. Their ability to naturally control high amounts of power was also shown when they shocked Piccolo by transforming into a Super Saiyan 3 even though they were such a young fused warrior.
Last edited by Hero 004 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:45 pm

I also go by the theory that Goten and Trunks were born without tails (Wheter Akira Toriyama forgot them or not). The same applies to Pan and Bra.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:16 am

Trunks' was said to be cut off in the manga.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:20 am

Dayspring wrote:Trunks' was said to be cut off in the manga.
Nope. It was asked but Bulma never answered. The manga never said it one way or the other for either of them. It comes down to what Toriyama-sama said in the interview.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:43 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:Yeah, recessive traits seem to be the best explanation. I'm no expert, but I'll see what I can say. Think about it this way; Gohan, Goten, and Trunks are each half-saiyan, half-human. They each have one fully Saiyan parent, with the genes for a tail, and one fully human parent, with no tail genes. So they've got a 50/50 chance of having or not having a tail. Gohan happened to land in the "tail" half, but Goten and Trunks didn't.
That's not how recessive works. Recessive traits only appear if there are no dominant traits masking them.

So, Goku would be 'tt', two recessive 'tail=yes' genes. If ChiChi is anything but 'Tt', with the 'tail=yes' being masked but still able to be passed on, then either Goten would have a tail, or Gohan wouldn't.

So, either tails are not recessive, or ChiChi is part Saiyan.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:29 am

I studied this stuff in college, and I can tell you the previous poster is correct, the "recessive trait" cannot explain it at all if you understand how genetics work.

Toriyama may have said that once as a joke or maybe he didn't fully understand it. I don't ever remember reading anything about him having said that, but I don't deny it is possible somewhere he said such a thing. The best answer is the one I gave that they knew the dangers of Oozarus and had them removed.

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:39 am

The recessive trait theory can work if "not having a tail" is the recessive trait and both Goku and Vegeta are Tt and both Bula and Chi-Chi are tt. Gohan would have gotten T from Goku and t from Chi-Chi making him Tt, and thus having a tail. Goten would have gotten t from Goku and t from Chi-Chi making him tt, thus no tail, same goes for Trunks but from Vegeta and Bulma.

But Then again, humas don't have a "tail" chromosome, and if saiyans do then that would give them 24 where humans only have 23, making cross-breeding between the two impossible. I say they just had them removed at birth.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:07 am

Attempting to apply real world science to a fantasy world (where we cannot be sure it applies at all) = headache :wink:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:18 am

Akira wrote: Toriyama may have said that once as a joke or maybe he didn't fully understand it. I don't ever remember reading anything about him having said that, but I don't deny it is possible somewhere he said such a thing.
Taken from the October 12th edition of AskVegettoEX:
Q. Was it ever clarified why Trunks never had a tail like Gohan? - A.P.

A. Sorta kinda... but not in DragonBall. In the first issue of the domestic Shonen Jump (January 2003), a fan asks Toriyama why Goten and Trunks don't have tails, to which Toriyama simply replies:

"It seems that tails are a recessive trait."

What does this mean? One of two things:

1) Toriyama planned this from the start (unlikely), or
2) He forgot about tails by the time he came up with Goten and Trunks, and thus never bothered to explain the details of their tail situation :P
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:40 am

:? I've just always gone with 'They were removed at birth' kinda thing. I dunno...I also believe that Bra and Pan had tails at one point as well...
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.