The first time you watched Dragonball?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiya-jin
Banned

The first time you watched Dragonball?

Post by Saiya-jin » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:31 pm

I know we are all DB,DBZ, and some DBGT fans here, but when was the very first time you were introduced to the show/manga? You told you about it? We're you just at the store and happened to see Dragonball Volume ?? sitting on the shelf, or were you just flipping through the channels when all of a sudden, you heard someone yell "KAMEHAMEHA" through the screen.

My first time was when I was about 8 years old. I stayed the night at my grandmothers house and had stayed up all night. I flipped through the channels at about 6 in the morning and guess what I saw, the Raditz arc. Wanna know what else? It was on the FOX channel!(Good times, good times :lol: )

What about you?(Just thought I'd ask)

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:48 pm

My first exposure was the Dragon Power NES game. I guess you could count that as my first real exposure. Hard to remember my first actual exposure to the anime. I believe it was a glimpse of the old 1995 Kidmark dub, I vaguely remember channel surfing way back one very early morning and coming across Roshi talking to Goku at Fire Mountain. Damn, that has to be so far back, certainly over 10 years. Thanks for making my brain hurt. :shock:
14 years later

Saiya-jin
Banned

Post by Saiya-jin » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:53 pm

should I apologize or say "your welcome"?

Anyway, yeah, I see what you mean. One quick thing about those Kidmark dubs. I happened to find a VHS Kidmark Dub of Dragonball(Episodes 11-13 "The Ledgend of Goku") and I want to know, are they rare and/or hard to find?

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:59 pm

I was first exposed to DBZ before DB and it was through merchandise.

Let's see, it was September 1992, back in primary school, I was shown by a classmate the infamous, shiny DBZ trading cards that were printed in Japanese. Shortly, I then found out when it aired on TV (every Saturday I think it was). When I first watched it, the series had already progressed to the Freeza Saga.
The analytical enigma. 分析性的不解之谜.

unstable_person99
Beyond Newbie

Post by unstable_person99 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:43 pm

My memory's a bit fuzzy so I can't remember that well.

I was 5-years-old and I woke up pretty early so I just turned on the TV and flipped to the WB channel (I was too young to tell time and didn't realize that it was too early for Kids WB) and on came an episode from the Raditz saga.

9 years have passed since then and I must say thank God for my earlybird days!
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/f169/unstable_person99/Avatars/?sc=1&multi=13&addtype=local&media=image&test=test]Avatars[/url]

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:00 pm

Flashback to 5:00am on Saturday, February 22 1997 (my tenth birthday, yay!). I awoke early and stumbled on to this funny looking cartoon called "Dragon Ball Z" on my local Fox network. Who was this scrawny looking Goku guy, why did he have a yellow cloud, and why did he want to fight that huge guy with a tail named Nappa? I was about to change the channel when all the sudden the small guy beat the snot out of the huge guy while flying around and shooting balls of light out of his hands. "Whoa, this is awesome!" I watched every Saturday morning until one day it wasn't on anymore. Sadly, I moved on. Fast forward to 1998. While flipping around I ended up on Cartoon Network's Toonami and to my surprise Dragon Ball Z was on! YAY! I got hooked all over again and saw all 53 episodes of the Saiyan and Namek sagas. Then I saw all 53 again. And again. And again, and again, and again. Then I saw the commercial for "Z Day" where they would show all new episodes. YAY!!! So that's the story, since then I've introduced myself to Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT, and I've been hooked on all three series ever since.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:02 pm

I saw the first episode of Z at 5:00am at the age of 9, because I woke up too early for school. It didn't hook me but it seemed cool.

Next year, it was on Cartoon Network. Begin Addiction.

Saiya-jin
Banned

Post by Saiya-jin » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:12 pm

It seems that DBZ was always on early in the morning. Maybe they didn't want us seeing it? That doesn't matter! We are such big fans that we loved it and had to watch it, and didn't even know what it was yet!

HP
Beyond Newbie

Post by HP » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:18 pm

Well, the first time ever I saw anything related to DB was a long ago too. I think 1994, maybe. On a videogames magazine, there it was: the review, or whatever, of a NES game featuring some "stupid figures" (It was Piccolo Daimao and Goku, actually! :P ). I didn't pay much atention to that and found those characters very annoying and cheesy, to tell the truth. :oops:
Only years later, after properly knowing DB, I did realize that article on that old mag was my first Dragon Ball view! :lol: funny...

However it was in 1995, when the series started airing over here, that I first saw the anime, and was thus, properly introduced to the Dragon Ball World.
The very first episode I watched (I can't remember which one was it, but it was short after the beginng. #3 or #4 or something...), I remember I didn't appreciate it at all. Just watched it for the sake of it, you know?.. had nothing else to do.. :roll:
Until one of the next few days, when I heard my friends talking about it and how funny it was... that captured my attention!! :shock:

The rest... is history. :wink:
Last edited by HP on Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beareyes [img]http://image1.beareyes.com.cn/joytlun/img/238.gif[/img]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:21 pm

Sometime in the Summer of 2000...it was on CN at either 5:00pm or 5:30pm. I can't remember.
Ironically one of the reasons I started to watch was there wasn't anything else on at the time. XD
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:32 pm

Wow... lots of people saying they first saw the show when they were 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 years old.... and that makes me feel really. fucking. old. :shock:

I think I already mentioned how I got in the show on the podcast, so I won't bother repeating the whole thing. Long story short, saw the old Ocean Group dub on TV at 6:30 am on a weekday in 1995, while getting ready for high school. Shit man, 10 years ago. Egads.

HP
Beyond Newbie

Post by HP » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:36 pm

Meri wrote:Wow... lots of people saying they first saw the show when they were 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 years old.... and that makes me feel really. fucking. old. :shock:
:lol: I thought the same as you.
Was 11 when I first saw DB.
beareyes [img]http://image1.beareyes.com.cn/joytlun/img/238.gif[/img]

The Mole
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Mole » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:04 pm

I was flipping through the channels when suddenly, I saw a info thingy for "Dragon Ball Z" on Cartoon Network. I thought to my self, "Hmm, it has 'dragon' in it, so it must be good". Unfortunatly for me it was one of the Fake Namek episodes, and I completly lost interest. I turned off the tv and went outside.

About a year later (I can't remember any of the dates) I decided to give DBZ another chance. Amazingly, I happened to catch the first episode!

I then learned that it wasnt what I originally thought it was (censored and all that stuff). Long story short, I searched the internet far and wide for info on it. By the fourth grade (I'm a freshman in high school now) , I knew the story from DragonBall to GT. Due to this I got to gloat at my friends for "predicting" what would happen.

I had recently read the manga. I call the scanlations "Anime Labs on Paper".
Even I became a loser when I made one of these...
http://www.myspace.com/randomvideosw00t

Gotens_Girl

Post by Gotens_Girl » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:06 pm

My sisters and I used to watch the dub a lot before school, on the super awesome Cheeze TV. My first episode was something in the Android Saga, I think. All through primary school, I remember liking DBZ. I have a fuzzy memory of collecting some sort of DBZ disc thingies...I had a shiny one. ^.^

It eventually disappeared from Cheese, and it wasn't till years later that I spotted anything Dragonball related again. A pop up for some action figures came up on my computer, showing Broli. Obviously, I considered myself an expert (being a wittle fangirl in those days) but didn't know who he was and went to find out.

Eventually stumbled across here. Mwahaha.
<Zackarotto> Have fun raping the moral standards of the universe, you unloved bastard children.
<Vaeran> We always do. <3

Thanks Xyex for the avatar! ^_____^

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:31 pm

I first saw it in 1994, when I was 10. My friend had an older brother who had a friend who was really into anime and stuff, and he had family in Japan. One day I went over there and they were watching a show I hadn't seen, completely in Japanese. I didn't know it at the time, but it was the Cell Games, with the fight between Gokuu and Cell.

We were all hooked after that. We actually got to see GT episodes almost as they came out.

gohan2k
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan2k » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:51 pm

Things were a little different in New Zealand as we never got either the Harmony Gold of Kid mark dubs of Dragonball and I'm not sure if we ever go Dragon Power but anyway my first glimpse of the show was when Dragonball Z started in New Zealand in April 2000.

It played 4.30pm weekdays on channel 3 (free to air) and at first I didn't watch it because I had only seen the ads and it really looked crap. The ads made it look like a badly dubbed show with some weird evil "sigh-ann" warriors.

The first time I actually watched that I can remember was the episode Trouble on Arlia at the beginning with Gohan eating an apple. Needless to say I wasn't all that impressed.

Later on though I saw the fight with Goku and Nappa and by the time the fight with Vegeta was finished, I was hooked.

Unfortunately the whole series being on free-to-air TV suffered from the most strickest standards ever to get every episode down to a "G" rating.....Thank goodness for DVD!
Last edited by gohan2k on Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="TripleRach"]I don't like Vegeta much. He spends most of the series as a whiny bitch.[/quote]

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:53 pm

I first saw it august 1999 when I was when I was 9 or 10 and it was the fight with Radditz, I lost interest in it and moved on. Little while later I thought I’d watch it again and to my surprise I loved it and it wasn't even a fighting episode. It was when Goku was in with snake princess and he was in the Jacuzzi. Got hooked on it ever since. :lol: I think it was because I just found it funny that snake chick was trying to knockout Goku but couldn't
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:11 pm

I saw bits and pieces of the Kidmark dubs way back in the mid 90s(where I would've been 14 or 15). I'm pretty sure it was the episode where Goku and the gang were trying to get out of Pilaf's trap and Goku went ape. Though I didn't pay attention long enough to see what it was about. So I didn't get into the series until around 2002 or so.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:44 pm

I first saw "Curse of the Blood Rubies" back in 95 when I was 12 going on 13. I watched the original DB dub after that. Though it wasn't really until I was 15 when I got into DBZ,, right as it was airing on CN.

Ultimate Tofu Guy Drift

Post by Ultimate Tofu Guy Drift » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:54 pm

I used to watch it at 8:00am on free to air tv. That was back in 2000 and it was the freeza saga. I only watched it because it was right before I went to school and I had nothing else to do. The station changed the timeslot and I didn't bother watching it again until Feb 2002. On the brink of the Buu saga, my friend had the dvds of Saiyaman so I watched them before they aired on TV and I was hooked.