Can Whis and Beerus breathe in space?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Can Whis and Beerus breathe in space?

Post by supercat » Fri May 29, 2015 9:49 am

I can't help but wonder if Whis and Beerus share the same gift as Frieza of being able to survive in space.

We could always assume that Whis made a barrier to save Bulma, but could the other reason be that it was also because both he along with Beerus actually do not have the capability to breathe in space?

I highly doubt that they feared Frieza's blast or the planet exploding, so the barrier definitely must have been to either protect Bulma and/or themselves from space.

My personal opinion is that both Beerus and Whis would have no problem surviving in space, but they simply chose to save Bulma.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Can Whis and Beerus breathe in space?

Post by Doctor. » Fri May 29, 2015 9:51 am

Beerus and Whis travel through space at astonishing speeds. I don't think they really have the need to breathe, like Freeza.

supercat

Post by supercat » Fri May 29, 2015 9:54 am

Doctor. wrote:Beerus and Whis travel through space at astonishing speeds. I don't think they really have the need to breathe, like Freeza.
So my question is, can they breathe in space if the situation calls for it, or if they needed to for any reason.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri May 29, 2015 9:57 am

You can't breathe in space since space is a vacuum, that's why I said they probably don't have the need to breathe if they can travel through space all the time.

supercat

Post by supercat » Fri May 29, 2015 10:03 am

Doctor. wrote:You can't breathe in space since space is a vacuum, that's why I said they probably don't have the need to breathe if they can travel through space all the time.
So barring Whis' ability to create a barrier, if either him or Beerus were caught in the explosion of a planet, would you say that there is a chance that they wouldn't be able to survive in space?

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:30 am

Doctor. wrote:You can't breathe in space since space is a vacuum, that's why I said they probably don't have the need to breathe if they can travel through space all the time.
There is oxygen and other gases in space though. It's just that the molecules of oxygen are so spread apart that it's impossible for a normal individual to be able to take in enough to survive. Since we don't know the oxygen requirements of Beerus and Whis, we can't say whether or not they're able to survive with the air that thin.

Additionally, just because they're traveling through space doesn't mean they don't necessarily need to breathe. For example, in some retconned versions of Superman, he still needed to breathe oxygen, but he was able to remain in deep space for extended periods of time by holding his breath and just how well his body processed that oxygen in his lungs. It's very possible that Beerus and Whis were technically doing the same thing.

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Fri May 29, 2015 10:43 am

supercat wrote:
So barring Whis' ability to create a barrier, if either him or Beerus were caught in the explosion of a planet, would you say that there is a chance that they wouldn't be able to survive in space?

No both would die.This is why they created a barrier in Revival of F. The problem with this is why didn't Vegeta do the same.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:57 am

shonenhikada wrote:
No both would die.This is why they created a barrier in Revival of F. The problem with this is why didn't Vegeta do the same.
We don't know that though. Remember, Beerus had already made a declaration that he would protect Bulma, so Whis creating the barrier could easily just be an extension of that declaration. Nothing was said or suggested to indicate that Whis created the barrier because they (Beerus and Whis) needed it.

supercat

Post by supercat » Fri May 29, 2015 11:15 am

Whis' whole intention for creating that barrier seems to be unknown at this time. However, given the fact that Beerus was likely intending on protecting Bulma, that could very well have been the reason. Perhaps one can look for subtle clues like if there was any signs of concern expressed by either Whis or Beerus when the planet was about to go down.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 29, 2015 12:07 pm

It's impossible to breath in space unless you're a freak of nature like Cell or a space alien like Freeza. Beerus, while a God, is still a mortal being that needs to eat, drink, sleep and breath like any other living organism to survive. Whis, though, I'm not entirely sure about. He is a God, yes, but with the abilities he's shown, how much a mortal he truly is still up for debate.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Fri May 29, 2015 4:53 pm

I don't really know what to believe, but I think Beerus needs to breathe. Maybe Whis also needs it, but he can manipulate matter and time, so I find it pretty obvious that he can store oxygen, or produce it. He could generate a barrier to protect the Earthlings, and the Earthlings didn't really show any signs of suffocation, so I think Whis generated perfect surviving conditions. Whis can travel many hundreds of light years together with Beerus in ~30 minutes, and also did it with Goku and Vegeta prior F.(Goku told Beerus about that in the film), so I think he can produce and capture oxygen using generated barriers when flying in space.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri May 29, 2015 4:58 pm

Is space a vacuum in Db?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri May 29, 2015 5:04 pm

The better question would be "do they even need to breathe?" They can for sure, but maybe it is not necessary.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:04 pm

Pretty sure they can just the saiyans can't.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri May 29, 2015 9:18 pm

Toriyama said in an interview that in BoG, Goku and Beerus were just at the edge of space so there was enough air for them to breathe. So it seems that Beerus can't, but he can survive with much thinner atmosphere than a human needs. I don't know about Whis, he probably created the forcefield for the benefit of the others rather than himself. IIRC it was Beerus who told Whis to put up the forcefield once the Earth started to break apart in RoF. So Whis might not need air to survive.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Sat May 30, 2015 5:44 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Is space a vacuum in Db?
Space isn't even a vacuum in our universe, I doubt it's a true vacuum in their universe.

saunasolmu
Beyond Newbie

Post by saunasolmu » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:39 am

mogi67
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mogi67 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:45 am

TheGmGoken wrote:Is space a vacuum in Db?
The air is thinner at Kami's place so it must be, right?

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:57 pm

Based on the recent chapter, yes.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:52 pm

Well, Beerus' job is destroying planets, so they'd be hanging around in space quite often.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.