Why did Piccolo think Gotenks could beat Super Boo pre SSJ3?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Why did Piccolo think Gotenks could beat Super Boo pre SSJ3?

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:08 am

Piccolo sends the boys into the ROSAT to train and attempt to beat Boo, but given the massive power gap between Gotenks and Boo at that time, how could Piccolo possibly believe that SSJ Gotenks would be enough even with training? Note that this is before him or Goku knew that he achieved SSJ3.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: Why did Piccolo think Gotenks could beat Super Boo pre S

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:34 am

Good guys never give up.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:30 am

He most likely misjudged Buu's Ki.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:47 am

Did you forget that Evil Buu, after eating Mr. Buu, gained the ability to sense ki and skyrocketed himself to God's Temple, demanding Piccolo to produce the promised warrior? He didn't really have a choice.

Also, Evil Buu had been alive for... I don't know -- minutes? -- before he shot himself up there. There wasn't enough time to gauge how much more powerful he had become beyond "Oh shit, he's stronger!" Also also, Goten and Trunks are in the Room; Piccolo has no idea what they're doing or the specifics of their training. It's a different dimension.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:35 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Piccolo sends the boys into the ROSAT to train and attempt to beat Boo, but given the massive power gap between Gotenks and Boo at that time, how could Piccolo possibly believe that SSJ Gotenks would be enough even with training? Note that this is before him or Goku knew that he achieved SSJ3.
You are forgeting some parts,,,Super Boo rushed to Kami's place and demanded to fight Gotenks...

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:09 pm

B wrote:Did you forget that Evil Buu, after eating Mr. Buu, gained the ability to sense ki and skyrocketed himself to God's Temple, demanding Piccolo to produce the promised warrior? He didn't really have a choice.

Also, Evil Buu had been alive for... I don't know -- minutes? -- before he shot himself up there. There wasn't enough time to gauge how much more powerful he had become beyond "Oh shit, he's stronger!" Also also, Goten and Trunks are in the Room; Piccolo has no idea what they're doing or the specifics of their training. It's a different dimension.
And would you say that this statement is completely true?

Chapter: 498 (DBZ 304), P7.4-5
Context: after Boo disappears
Trunks: “Even if he really is still alive, it doesn’t matter! That jerk was helpless against Gohan! [Gohan] was about as strong as our Super Gotenks!”
Goten: “He was even stronger.”
Trunks: “Really? …Yeah…Just a little bit.”

Gohan being a little bit stronger? I always thought by a lot.

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:29 pm

The hesitation and it being Trunks shows that is was almost definitely by a lot, and Trunks was just reluctant to admit it.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:56 pm

No, that's Trunks trying to still play the "cool" act while still admitting that Goten's not wrong. He had just, a second prior, tried to say that Gotenks was more powerful than Gohan, so he's clearly trying to play that Gotenks is still the best. So when Goten points out that Gohan's definitely stronger, Trunks tries to save face by acting that he's only "a little stronger".

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:No, that's Trunks trying to still play the "cool" act while still admitting that Goten's not wrong. He had just, a second prior, tried to say that Gotenks was more powerful than Gohan, so he's clearly trying to play that Gotenks is still the best. So when Goten points out that Gohan's definitely stronger, Trunks tries to save face by acting that he's only "a little stronger".
Gohan completely and utterly dominated the fight against Super Buu, while Gotenks was struggling to hold his own, and it was only his weird techniques that gave him any sort of advantage ever. That doesn't look like a little to me, especially considering how bad Gohan's gotten in terms of skills.

So I guess, it's basically Trunks trying to save face by saying it's only a slight difference when it's not.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:17 pm

I wouldn't say Gotenks necessarily struggled...
He seemed to be kicking Buu's ass when he was serious, and his mouth blast seemed to do more than to Buu than Buu's did to Gotenks.

Not that I'm agreeing Gotenks and Gohan are that close...

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:25 pm

The extent of damage that Gotenks and Ultimate Gohan were able to inflict on Super Buu should also compared in proportion to the amount of effort both fighters put in. Although Gotenks was able to gain a decent advantage over Super Buu, it seemed to have taken a good amount of effort to get to that point. Gohan on the other hand, was able to make Gotenks' advantage over the vile menace look marginal with a lot less effort.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:31 pm

I think that, when serious, SSJ3 Gotenks and Mystic Gohan could have easily defeated Super Buu if they had not toyed around with him. I said it before months ago that virtually everyone who fought with Super Buu could have beaten him if they had just gone in for the kill instead of letting him think up a way to absorb them.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:15 pm

1) He sent them to the Room of Spirit and Time to continue to train while he stalled Boo, so there was the possibility Gotenks might have been able to overtake him by the time he went in (and via Super Saiyan 3, that actually ended up being true).

2) Gotenks was still the strongest of the fighters on Earth at that point by a considerable margin.

3) He had no other choice and had the contingency plan of locking them all in the Room if things went wrong.

h0kuten
Banned

Post by h0kuten » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:53 pm

False hope and crappy Chi sensing, which is sort of what Piccolo is known for during this portion of the series.

Masako-kun
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masako-kun » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:53 am

Piccolo was going through a mid-life crisis.

But seriously, I think in that situation he would try anything that might yield an increase in power. I think I remember that a fused warrior is not just each individual power combined; it's a fair bit more. Add the multipliers of SSJ and then you would reckon that they'd have a fair chance. That is if it were against Majin Buu...you then get Super Buu and theories go out the window, as Trunks might say.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:15 pm

A heaping mix of desperation and misplaced optimism, I'd say.

Also, I wonder if he was hopeful because he expected for Gotenks to go Super Saiyan, became disheartened when it seemed that he couldn't, and then was relieved when he showed he actually could later.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:19 pm

Because miracles happen in battle. After everything he's seen, it would be conceivable that the kids could win against Buu, even if they figure out how to become SSJ3 on the brink of death.