Vegeta and King Vegeta name

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Vegeta and King Vegeta name

Post by LightBing » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:58 am

Since both have the same name, shouldn't Vegeta have been Vegeta the Second or Vegeta II. I mean, imagine the confusion if the King was succeeded and they'll both be the same, with the exception of the goatee.

User avatar
Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 912
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: Vegeta and King Vegeta name

Post by Super Vegetto » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:05 am

No nead, unless if they write the Saiyan history book,,,there was a King V and there was a Prince V and it stayed that way.

User avatar
irreality
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Vegeta and King Vegeta name

Post by irreality » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:19 am

You don't even know if King Vegeta is not King Vegeta the 27th.

In families with generational names, people figure it out from context, usually, or people get nicknames to use in everyday situations. I think it is fine. I don't think Saiyan's keep history books? Maybe they write it down there.

User avatar
Marco Polo
I Live Here
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: France

Re: Vegeta and King Vegeta name

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:26 am

LightBing wrote:Since both have the same name, shouldn't Vegeta have been Vegeta the Second or Vegeta II. I mean, imagine the confusion if the King was succeeded and they'll both be the same, with the exception of the goatee.
Vegeta is Prince Vegeta though. He never became King. We don't know what he would have been called if he had.

User avatar
Rocketman
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10798
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:17 pm

Re: Vegeta and King Vegeta name

Post by Rocketman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:28 am

The Saiyan King is also not named in the manga, and Nappa implies that the Prince was named after their planet due to his enormous strength.

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: Vegeta and King Vegeta name

Post by LightBing » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:19 pm

Saiyans History books, now that would be a fun read. I bet all the Kings would nickname themselves "The Warrior".
Rocketman wrote:The Saiyan King is also not named in the manga, and Nappa implies that the Prince was named after their planet due to his enormous strength.
Didn't remember that. Who named him then must have been a lazy employee.

User avatar
fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5144
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: New York

Re: Vegeta and King Vegeta name

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:41 pm

I forget... was the Planet Plant thing made up by the anime too? Cause I would think if they conquered a planet and renamed it, it'd have to be named after something or someone important in their culture. Makes sense to name it Planet Vegeta after their king. It's also consistent with the trend of people ruling planets and naming it after themselves (i.e. Frieza).
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7774
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Vegeta and King Vegeta name

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:11 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I forget... was the Planet Plant thing made up by the anime too? Cause I would think if they conquered a planet and renamed it, it'd have to be named after something or someone important in their culture. Makes sense to name it Planet Vegeta after their king. It's also consistent with the trend of people ruling planets and naming it after themselves (i.e. Freeza).
Toriyama came up with the name Planet Plant:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/production/toriyama/
ctrl F and write "plant."
And it was clarified in GT's perfect files, that the planet was indeed named after the Saiyan leader, following their annihilation of the Tsufurians.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=14812
ctrl F and write "age 720"

Post Reply