Who is the most effective teacher/trainer?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

soduh2
Not-So-Newbie

Who is the most effective teacher/trainer?

Post by soduh2 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:15 pm

Who would do the best job teaching a normal person to fight/manipulate Ki?

Just because you're a good student doesn't mean you'll make a good teacher.

Name characters without including those whose profession is to train (ie: King Kai, Korin, Kami, Roshi, Whis).

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: Who is the most effective teacher/trainer?

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:25 pm

Gohan since he is the only one who fits your criteria.

soduh2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by soduh2 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:30 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Gohan since he is the only one who fits your criteria.
Only if you're super strict about it. Technically you can include Goku too as Uub can be considered a "normal human" too. Without the distinct parameters, who demonstrates the best teaching skills?

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:47 pm

Since your question seems to be specifically pertaining to the best teacher for a normal human being, I'm going to have to say that Roshi, Goku, and possibly even Gohan takes the cake here.

From what I've seen, they seem to be the most proficient in terms of teaching a human fighter how to leverage their ki from scratch.

While Whis probably is the most seasoned teacher overall, I'm not sure if he has ever had the experience of actually building up a fighter's power from ground zero. Although there's really no reason to single him out as a teacher who has only trained beings born with abnormally high battle powers, I am a bit inclined to believe that his students have all had a far greater potential to progress at a much quicker rate than an average human fighter.

Even King Kai's teaching career seems to mainly entail working with more seasoned trainees, as the vast majority of his students seem to be notable warriors who have each earned their right to train with him.

While Kami and Karin do have experience working directly with humans, they've primarily trained fighters who have already had some level of foundation established.

Being a human himself, Roshi may have a deeper understanding of how humans channel ki, and what is specifically necessitated to awaken their powers. Even if a human and a being like Beerus did start off at the same starting point, the human fighter's weaker potential would have to be addressed in a very tailored way. They would most likely require a greater degree of hand holding to address the minute challenges that may not be present for a naturally gifted fighter like Beerus.

Goku training Uub is a completely different story as the boy was already born with an innate power that could be triggered with a mere outburst of anger. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if Goku did possess the right kind of knowledge to help a normal human being develop their ki. He seems like the one of a kind teacher who has a deep understanding of all types of teaching for nearly all levels of fighters.

Although by definition, Gohan is not a teacher, he has shown some promise by teaching Videl how to harness her ki from scratch. Therefore, I'd say it's only fair to group him into the same category of teachers as Roshi.

Bottom line is, we can't really compare different types of teaching with one another. Doing so would be much akin to comparing apples to oranges.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:01 pm

supercat wrote:Although by definition, Gohan is not a teacher, he has shown some promise by teaching Videl how to harness her ki from scratch. Therefore, I'd say it's only fair to group him into the same category of teachers as Roshi.
The topic's author specifically asks for characters whose profession is not to train (ie not King Kai, Karin, Kami, Roshi, Whis, etc.).

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:50 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
supercat wrote:Although by definition, Gohan is not a teacher, he has shown some promise by teaching Videl how to harness her ki from scratch. Therefore, I'd say it's only fair to group him into the same category of teachers as Roshi.
The topic's author specifically asks for characters whose profession is not to train (ie not King Kai, Karin, Kami, Roshi, Whis, etc.).
Haha, I completely misread it then.

Well with the legendary masters excluded, I'd have to say that Goku likely possesses the most fundamental knowledge on teaching.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:19 am

I think Gohan -- he showed Videl how to do it relatively quickly, and explained flying to Goten. He has a much better grasp of how to turn theoretical concepts into words.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:44 pm

I know it's not canon, but doesn't Gohan in Dragon Ball Online's world publish a book where he explains the channelling of Ki (or something like that) easily so that regular humans could learn how to do it? I mean, since he wrote a manual on the topic, wouldn't he be the best?
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:50 pm

if i could choose someone from dbz to train me i would pick vegeta. not even a contest.

therefore i think he is the best trainer in dbz.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Piccolo because his strict, death-like methods of training have worked in the past and caused Gohan to actually become strong and not a wimp which he probably would have been without the training and might have even caused a lot of the Z-Fighters to die. Gohan would be a good trainer, but I think he would be a little slow paced compared to Piccolo.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:06 pm

Piccolo because his strict, death-like methods of training have worked in the past and caused Gohan to actually become strong and not a wimp which he probably would have been without the training received from Piccolo which might have even caused a lot of the Z-Fighters to die. Gohan would be a good trainer, but I think he would be a little slow paced compared to Piccolo.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:19 am

I'd probably want to be trained by Tien. He seems like he'd know how to handle it.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Diotor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diotor » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:12 am

Alex9196 wrote:if i could choose someone from dbz to train me i would pick vegeta. not even a contest.

He'd probably kill you with his methods rather than make you stronger.

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:50 am

Diotor wrote:
Alex9196 wrote:if i could choose someone from dbz to train me i would pick vegeta. not even a contest.

thats the point, look at vegetas training, he pushs himself very far, often near death. when i would be his pupil and wouldnt do that i would be a disgrace.

Diotor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diotor » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:40 am

Alex9196 wrote:
Diotor wrote:

thats the point, look at vegetas training, he pushs himself very far, often near death. when i would be his pupil and wouldnt do that i would be a disgrace.

However, you're missing the point that Saiyans push themselves to near death for the zenkai power up. You wouldn't get that, making it more dangerous than worthwhile.

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:45 am

i think piccolo also pushs himself near death, but we didnt get to see him train so often. i am sure regardless of race the harder you train the stronger you get.

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Post by Berserker1921 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:49 am

I believe Whis is the best teacher. He is the one teacher that Vegeta would listen too. I have to say that mean a lot. I mean this Vegeta. He could have learned from north Kai. I mean the kaioken even though it's rather useless it could have helped him a lot in the past. Also he could have seen old kaioshin and asked to have his potential released.

However Vegeta never did any of that. Because of three reasons. 1. He believes them beneath him. Teachers who are not more powerful then him aren't worth his time. Even though they could have given him fantastic abilities. 2. He rather learn on his own and master his own skills. Also I don't think he would have the patience to sit down and do nothing for 1-2 days. 3. And three they prob hate Vegeta.

This why Whis is Amazing. He is leagues above Goku, beerus, and himself. That shows that Vegeta thag he could learn some amazing things from him. Since his so much more powerful then him. Also Whis prob doesn't care about vegetas past indisgressions. So that works for Vegeta. Also Vegeta wouldn't talk crap to him since he knows Whis could prob knock him out with a poke to the head.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:02 am

OP said "whose profession is not to train." I think that excludes Goku since his profession/life is to train so he can get stronger. Going by OP's words, Gohan would be the only candidate here.

h0kuten
Banned

Post by h0kuten » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:31 pm

Whiss is by far the best. He trains godly fighters who surpass Vegetto level characters.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:59 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:OP said "whose profession is not to train." I think that excludes Goku since his profession/life is to train so he can get stronger. Going by OP's words, Gohan would be the only candidate here.
To train OTHERS, not themselves. So people like Roshi, Korin or Whis are excluded.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW