Kakarot does make sense .... at least in spanish

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

chronocross
Not-So-Newbie

Kakarot does make sense .... at least in spanish

Post by chronocross » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:19 am

Well, let me explain. As everyone knows Kakarot is derived from the english word carrot, and know carrot in spanish is translated to "zanahoria" . So now let me explain zanaoria, this term is use to describe a "sane" , pure and tranquil person, so basically a person of good heart. So the name of Kakarot fits Goku perfectly. And I can stand behind this explanation because this term is use in almost all the spanish speaking countries in south and central america.
I aim to misbehave

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:50 am

Although it may make a further, yet similar sense in another language, the name itself does make sense contextually to the theme of DragonBall itself. As I am sure you know, "carrot" in its context continues to propegate the food related puns found through out the series.

So because of that, there really is no reason to stand by an unintentional connection that currently holds little and no relevant value towards the puns used in the series.

If, in fact he was named for such reasons, it would throw off the whole lot of the puns contained with the Saiya-jin race.

:P

ShadowAssailantX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ShadowAssailantX » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:46 am

lost in thought wrote:Although it may make a further, yet similar sense in another language, the name itself does make sense contextually to the theme of DragonBall itself. As I am sure you know, "carrot" in its context continues to propegate the food related puns found through out the series.

So because of that, there really is no reason to stand by an unintentional connection that currently holds little and no relevant value towards the puns used in the series.

If, in fact he was named for such reasons, it would throw off the whole lot of the puns contained with the Saiya-jin race.

:P
I think he was just pointing it out, not trying to prove that this is the sole reason behind his name. :D
So zetta slow

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:54 am

ShadowAssailantX wrote:I think he was just pointing it out, not trying to prove that this is the sole reason behind his name. :D
Pointing out he was doing indeed, but the topic is a little venture skewed. If you read the topic, it somewhat implies (unlikely to be the message Chronocross was looking for when creating this topic) that the pun we all know, doesn't make a lot of sense. So I replied in kind, that it does make sense the way it is, but taking that secondary meaning based on a translation of the word through another language, wouldn't in this context.
I also knew that he wasn't trying to prove that it was the 'soul' meaning.

Either way, this topic, and your response are redundant. Atleast I applied myself to the topic and formally gave reasoning to validate any claims on my part; you however just went and knit-picked at a barely visible thought in my reply. Nice. :shock:

ShadowAssailantX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ShadowAssailantX » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:08 am

lost in thought wrote:
ShadowAssailantX wrote:I think he was just pointing it out, not trying to prove that this is the sole reason behind his name. :D
Pointing out he was doing indeed, but the topic is a little venture skewed. If you read the topic, it somewhat implies (unlikely to be the message Chronocross was looking for when creating this topic) that the pun we all know, doesn't make a lot of sense. So I replied in kind, that it does make sense the way it is, but taking that secondary meaning based on a translation of the word through another language, wouldn't in this context.
I also knew that he wasn't trying to prove that it was the 'soul' meaning.

Either way, this topic, and your response are redundant. Atleast I applied myself to the topic and formally gave reasoning to validate any claims on my part; you however just went and knit-picked at a barely visible thought in my reply. Nice. :shock:
My intent wasn't to try and piss you off, I just felt you we're chewing the poster out for a harmless topic. I was trying to lighten the mood, and I'm rather taken aback by your malicious verbal assault.

EDIT: It's all in the past, Lost :wink:
So zetta slow

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:33 pm

How is the topic redundant?

I think it's interesting how words and expressions translate to similar things in other languages.
Where's the beef?

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:54 pm

That's very neat!

Quit bickering... This show, after all, is the reason we are here and the opinion of someone will not , in any way, hurt you by listening and accepting.

Mr. Toriyama seems to be one of those people who could start a world war. So many people love his show and so many people hate it with a passion. Those of us that love it want to make sure everything either has a scientific explanation or a beautiful detail behind it to make everything fit. Those that hate it cause us to look like fools and in their own ways themselves for being judgemental to those that find joy in a simple cartoon.

It's really a very complicated system we, as the fans, and Mr. Toriyama hace set up.
Just remember, everytime something bad is happening to you. Something even worse is happening to someone else.

chronocross
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chronocross » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:12 am

Well, I was just stating what I think is an interesting fact. Anyhow, I accept that the title of the topic is a little missleading and for that I apologise :)
I aim to misbehave

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:21 am

chronocross wrote:Well, I was just stating what I think is an interesting fact. Anyhow, I accept that the title of the topic is a little missleading and for that I apologise :)
There isn't any need for apologies from you, no, I was just pointing out that the pun does make sense, contextually.

Anyway, yeah, it is kind of interesting.

Also, Panda, I wasn't -trying- to bicker with the lad. Apparently ShadowAssailant is incapable of detecting circumstantial and contextual conjecture in reply to another person; but then he didn't want to give up, so I ended it via PM, rather than subject the thread to anymore of that bull.

Ah well, continue. :)

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:20 pm

My new sig is the greatest statement ever. :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:09 pm

Castor Troy wrote:My new sig is the greatest statement ever. :lol:
It must be blissful to be so ignorant. Insert Piccolo forehead-smack image here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:55 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:My new sig is the greatest statement ever. :lol:
It must be blissful to be so ignorant. Insert Piccolo forehead-smack image here.
It's so sad that guy is stuck in the past. I was reading his work and he's still bashing season 6 over a year after it ended. :shock: