Question about Dragonball Z episodes...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jeff66

Question about Dragonball Z episodes...

Post by Jeff66 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:47 pm

Hello.

I am new to the boards. I have been an anime fan for several years and I have watched Dragonball Z sporadically over the years as well. I am wanting to go back to the beginning and watch the series until the end, but I am SO confused about a couple of things, mostly because of FUNimation I suspect. I am hoping that maybe I can get the answers to a couple of questions here.

Here are a couple that stand out in my mind right away...

1. On the "DVD Guide" page of the website it lists Dragonball Z TV with a total of 276 episodes in English and 291 episodes in Japanese. Now, did FUNimation release some DVDs with subs only that cover episodes 277-291, or were these episodes not released in Region 1? I am very confused about this...

2. I am trying to watch the TV series by going the Netflix route, but what they have listed is SO messed up. Add to that the fact that FUNimation doesn't put volume numbers on their DVDs, and there are many times when I don't have a clue which DVD I am supposed to rent/watch next. Is there anything you can recommend to me as far as where I might go to find the DVDs listed in order of their episodes so that I know what to get and am able to watch the series in the proper order? I can't seem to find this on the website.

I am sure I will think of a couple of other things later, but this will suffice for the moment. Thank you in advance!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:09 pm

Back when FUNimation first did DBZ back in 1996-1997, the first 67 episodes of the series (the first "two seasons") were condensed down to 53 episodes. Some material was edited down, entire episodes were cut, etc. Basically, over the course of 67-68 episodes, they lost 15 episodes worth of material.

(This is one of the reasons they're going back and releasing the so-called "Ultimate Uncut Editions" of the first two seasons... the 67-68 episodes in their original, uncut state with both an English and Japanese audio track.)

When they began dubbing season three, they produced uncut versions of the episodes (as opposed to *ONLY* edited versions as before). Their episode numbering began where it left off.

Due to the weirdness of where they left off on dub episode 53, dub episode 54 is about an episode-and-a-half in length. So that one's strange. Otherwise, dub episode 55 corresponds to original Japanese episode 69, and so on until the end of the series.

Now, you might say that doesn't add up. Kinda true. Take a look at what happened on DVD Vol. #21. There was an episode that kinda didn't air on TV (they spliced around it pretty well), and as such, it didn't get a dub episode number to correspond to it. They kinda called it 65a and 65b.

Yes, it's entirely confusing.

The "DVD Guide" should give you an extremely good idea about what's going on with each individual series. Make sure you take a look at the explanatory text that goes with each page. It also appears that you're not taking a very deep look in the guide, since you're asking where to find a list of each individual disc in each saga and such :). Make sure you click the cover images for everything (they also say "[ click image or text for individual discs ]").

Any other questions, shoot away!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jeff66

Post by Jeff66 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:21 pm

Okay, thanks a lot for the information. For SOME reason, I didn't end up getting to the page(s) that you linked me to off of the "DVD Guide" page. Not really sure what happened there, but somehow I didn't find my way to those pages before. These will definitely be a lot of help! Also, thanks for the explanantion of the episodes, as that clears things up a bit as well with the episode numbering and what not.

In fact, I was about to ask a question about the Uncut DVDs, but I just found the answer to it while looking through the "DVD Guides". If I think of anything else, I will post another message. :D

MajinMetroid
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinMetroid » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:02 pm

Rather than start a new topic, I'll just ask here as it sort of pertains to the title...

Is there a place on the site where I can find a full list of episode titles for the Japanese version of Dragonball and Z? If not, is there a site you can recommend?

Supa Burori

Post by Supa Burori » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:12 pm

I would suggest www.pojo.com , They released a specialty Dragonball Z Guide a couple years back and they had the Japanese and Dub names of Dragonball, Dragonball Z (Up to the end of the Imperfect Cell Saga) and Dragonball GT. If you need more information, I'm sure that I can dig out my book and provide you with the info. Also, if you want a copy of this magazine, ask me for the name of it and go to a local bookstore and try to have it special ordered.

EDIT: Here's all the info on there book, if you want it, it is available for purchase from amazon.com. Here's a link to the amazon.com page. I suggest buying it, it only costs $2.12: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN% ... 78-9138302 . Enjoy :D
Part of the Star Wars Revolution Staff Team.

http://sw-rev.net/forums/index.php

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:15 pm

MajinMetroid wrote:Rather than start a new topic, I'll just ask here as it sort of pertains to the title...

Is there a place on the site where I can find a full list of episode titles for the Japanese version of Dragonball and Z? If not, is there a site you can recommend?
We were working on them, but then Julian went to Japan :). They're still certainly a priority of mine.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:49 pm

Errr...I wouldn't recommend Pojo for anything really....

Dragonball Episode titles can be found:

http://homepage1.nifty.com/KYK/db/animovie/db.html

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:44 pm

I might know of a couple lists. Here's Dragon Ball, and here's Dragon Ball Z.

:oops: