So is Tarble now non-canonical?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: So is Tarble now non-canonical?

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:40 am

canon, fanon, schmanon. Let me just say this: Yo! Son Goku and its original characters were made when even the idea of another movie was just a dream, and attempting to weld them to anything beyond Battle of Gods is going to make things muddled.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:31 pm

He was mentioned again in the Broly movie, so at least in the movie verse he is still "canon".

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:41 pm

Vegeta brought him up in the newest movie and that movie was written by Toriyama. At least he is not forgotten.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:54 pm

He hasn't been totally disregarded as he's been mentioned in the most recent movies in passing, even though the 2008 JSAT special was so far his only onscreen appearance.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: So is Tarbles now non canon?

Post by Ssjcell » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:13 am

ZombieVito wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:1. There is no canon, none, nothing at all.
Can you and anyone else who says this please stop saying it cause all you're doing is spreading false information.
I agree. It's getting annoying.
I know if you don't like the new material just say it we all know there is a Canon though

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:44 am

Ssjcell wrote:I know if you don't like the new material just say it we all know there is a Canon though
It has nothing to do with personal taste though. There is no canon simply because none has been established. But hey, if you are saying that this franchise has one, we would like to see an evidence of it.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:17 am

Grimlock wrote:
Ssjcell wrote:I know if you don't like the new material just say it we all know there is a Canon though
It has nothing to do with personal taste though. There is no canon simply because none has been established. But hey, if you are saying that this franchise has one, we would like to see an evidence of it.
Alright I'll take a shot here db-z-minus- super-broly

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:29 am

And where is the evidence I asked for? A source to back your claim up? This is not one, this is merely your opinion.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:00 pm

Tarble is canon the question is what is his look ? His manga look version or his anime look version. 8)
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:39 pm

Ssjcell wrote:
ZombieVito wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Can you and anyone else who says this please stop saying it cause all you're doing is spreading false information.
I agree. It's getting annoying.
I know if you don't like the new material just say it we all know there is a Canon though
There is a canon story, but there is no singular canon. The super anime, manga, and the 3 new movies are all in a way “canon”, yet they all contradict themselves, so there is no singular “canon”. Characters like Beerus and Whis are canon, but things like the purple Vegeta arc would probably not be considered canon by Toriyama.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:05 pm

currently is canon, or maybe only in the movies
fadeddreams5 wrote:There is no official canon besides, of course, the original source material, which is the manga. That is fact.
that is false, the author said clearly that super (series) was the official continuation of z therefore it is the main canon.

the manga is incomplete and it's more to market the anime.

the movies are "discontinued" after the series adapts the movies is simple ..
Last edited by Tai Lung on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:08 pm

No, Tarble is still canon.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:54 pm

I'm not much for canon debates. The franchise has always had a "made-up-on-the-fly" quality to it that precludes there being any true canon that doesn't ignore massive swaths of story from various media.

Regarding author comments: I don't consider something "true" just because the author said it after the fact. A retcon has to take place in-universe. For example, Goku's origins are retconned in Broly. That is the new "official version." Toriyama's comments about the origins of Buu have no relevance. The manga and anime explanation has never been overwritten with new media. Just my two cents.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Tai Lung wrote:currently is canon, or maybe only in the movies
fadeddreams5 wrote:There is no official canon besides, of course, the original source material, which is the manga. That is fact.
that is false, the author said clearly that super (series) was the official continuation of z therefore it is the main canon.

I'm pretty sure Toriyama has never even used the word canon before. The movies and manga were also stated to be continuations of his story as well. BoG, RoF, the Super anime, the super manga, Broly, are all "canon" in a way. A better way to describe it is that they are official continuations of Toriyama's story. None of them really supersedes the other at this point, basically whatever Toriyama decides in the next thing he makes is what they go with.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:49 pm

dragon boss z wrote:
Tai Lung wrote:currently is canon, or maybe only in the movies

I'm pretty sure Toriyama has never even used the word canon before. The movies and manga were also stated to be continuations of his story as well. BoG, RoF, the Super anime, the super manga, Broly, are all "canon" in a way. A better way to describe it is that they are official continuations of Toriyama's story. None of them really supersedes the other at this point, basically whatever Toriyama decides in the next thing he makes is what they go with.

The author takes the anime super series as "the main and most complete" the movies are discontinued with apparence the anime and the manga is minor adaptation and incomplete that depends on extra material

its seems enough for me to indicate the main "canon"

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/07/01/dr ... ries-plot/

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Tai Lung wrote: The author takes the anime super series as "the main and most complete" the movies are discontinued with apparence the anime and the manga is minor adaptation and incomplete that depends on extra material
You are putting words in his mouth. He never said the main or most complete, he just said it was a complete continuation, which it is. When it comes to what Toriyama considers canon, it seems he just picks out what he likes and throws out what he doesn't.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:20 pm

dragon boss z wrote:
Tai Lung wrote: The author takes the anime super series as "the main and most complete" the movies are discontinued with apparence the anime and the manga is minor adaptation and incomplete that depends on extra material
You are putting words in his mouth. He never said the main or most complete, he just said it was a complete continuation, which it is. When it comes to what Toriyama considers canon, it seems he just picks out what he likes and throws out what he doesn't.
"Dragon Ball Super" is a complete continuation of the Majin Boo story arc. It's got a bit of post-battle aftermath, continues with the "Battle of Gods" arc where the God of Destruction Beerus appears and the "Revival of 'F'"

After ...
. "A manga adaptation from" Toyotarō "will run every month in V-Jump starting with this month's August 2015 issue.

It seems obvious to me how the anime is treated as main and the manga to lesser adaptation at least as it was announced

the films and manga as such are incomplete and depend on extra material as I said is enough for me.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Tai Lung wrote: "Dragon Ball Super" is a complete continuation of the Majin Boo story arc. It's got a bit of post-battle aftermath, continues with the "Battle of Gods" arc where the God of Destruction Beerus appears and the "Revival of 'F'"
After ...
. "A manga adaptation from" Toyotarō "will run every month in V-Jump starting with this month's August 2015 issue.
It seems obvious to me how the anime is treated as main and the manga to lesser adaptation at least as it was announced
the films and manga as such are incomplete and depend on extra material as I said is enough for me.
Toyotaro's manga isn't an adaptation of the anime though, it's an adaptation of Toriyama's script. The anime is an adaptation as well.
I would agree the Super anime is the definitive continuation of the anime, but it is not the definitive continuation of the manga, as it has filler characters and references. The fact they didn't use SSBKK and SSBE in the new movie, they used kid Vegeta's BoG hair and not Super hair, kid Trunks acted like he never saw Frieza soldiers before, ect. all lend credence to there not being a single definitive version, unless you count Broly movie into the movie verse with the other movies, and then their is a Broly anime retelling.
And the other versions aren't really incomplete. The Super manga can just fit in the RoF movie and Broly movie into the gaps it left.
I would agree that the Super anime is the version most people tend to go with, as it's the most popular. But just don't expect anime only concepts to play a big role in any future plot line, as Toriyama probably won't even consider them.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:31 am

dragon boss z wrote:
Tai Lung wrote: "Dragon Ball Super" is a complete continuation of the Majin Boo story arc. It's got a bit of post-battle aftermath, continues with the "Battle of Gods" arc where the God of Destruction Beerus appears and the "Revival of 'F'"
After ...
Toyotaro's manga isn't an adaptation of the anime though, it's an adaptation of Toriyama's script. The anime is an adaptation as well.
I would agree the Super anime is the definitive continuation of the anime, but it is not the definitive continuation of the manga, as it has filler characters and references. The fact they didn't use SSBKK and SSBE in the new movie, they used kid Vegeta's BoG hair and not Super hair, kid Trunks acted like he never saw Frieza soldiers before, ect. all lend credence to there not being a single definitive version, unless you count Broly movie into the movie verse with the other movies, and then their is a Broly anime retelling.
And the other versions aren't really incomplete. The Super manga can just fit in the RoF movie and Broly movie into the gaps it left.
I would agree that the Super anime is the version most people tend to go with, as it's the most popular. But just don't expect anime only concepts to play a big role in any future plot line, as Toriyama probably won't even consider them.
that does not change the important point the series will return and will surely adapt the film of broly being discontinued after.
the manga is adaptation of the script but again it does not adapt the entire script but the anime does.
the movies are omitted with the series
and goku makes it clear that he fights with ribrianne and kefla that only happens in the anime etc
So the anime said is the adaptation of the script more completely therefore the main canon
so it is clear the manga is just a minor adaptation.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:23 am

Tai Lung wrote: that does not change the important point the series will return and will surely adapt the film of broly being discontinued after.
And even if it does happens I don’t think that means the Broly movie is retconned, it just means the anime is doing a retelling.
the manga is adaptation of the script but again it does not adapt the entire script but the anime does.
Toriyama’s script said Black could also go regular ssj, but that only happened in the manga. Where is your evidence the manga leaves more things from Toriyama’s script out?
and goku makes it clear that he fights with ribrianne and kefla that only happens in the anime etc
When was this? Are you talking about the flashback pic in the movie? Those two were next to all of the GoD that Goku never fought as well, the reason they were drawn was because they were the most recognizable.
So the anime said is the adaptation of the script more completely therefore the main canon
so it is clear the manga is just a minor adaptation.
I’m going to need proof the anime is adapting more of the script.