Was non-divine telepathy just forgotten?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gorrilian

Was non-divine telepathy just forgotten?

Post by Gorrilian » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:15 pm

I remember it being used for the canyon fight versus Vegeta and when Goku read Krillin's mind, but after that it seemed only Kaio and East Kaioshin could use it prominently. Weren't there situations where using ki like a 2 way radio would have been called for?
That which is, is bound to be
That which is not, may never be
In this sense, no things are free
Wether they may or may not be

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Was non-divine telepathy just forgotten?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:17 pm

Goku reads Krillin's mind on Namek, and Piccolo telepathically calls Gohan when Gero attacks him. Other than that, I don't remember it ever happening again.

Edit: Oh, and Babidi does his big planetary telepathic thing, and talks to Vegeta after he's possessed.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Absolute Ice
Beyond Newbie

Post by Absolute Ice » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:33 pm

But Babidi can due to his magic power, he truly possesses that ability. I wonder how and why Piccolo and Goku can read/talk through telepathy if this is not an ability of Namekuseijins and Saiyans.
ジャネンバ ミラ

For a reality whose Janemba and Mira join the canon world and receive a proper personality.
The Greatest Villains Ever!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:45 pm

DIdn't Piccolo telepathically talk to Goten and Trunks while they were preparing to fight Super Buu?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Absolute Ice
Beyond Newbie

Post by Absolute Ice » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Yes, and when Piccolo calls them to go to Kami's Lookout.
ジャネンバ ミラ

For a reality whose Janemba and Mira join the canon world and receive a proper personality.
The Greatest Villains Ever!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:51 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:DIdn't Piccolo telepathically talk to Goten and Trunks while they were preparing to fight Super Buu?
Yeah, I forgot about that one. And Kami and Kaio had a telepathic conversation in the Freeza Arc. Kaio's actually probably the biggest telepath we've seen. That might explain where Goku and Piccolo got the ability.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:00 pm

Has there been a plot reason to use telepathy recently? Only instance I could think of was maybe calling Goku and Vegeta from Beerus' planet, but maybe there are distance limitations.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:03 pm

irreality wrote:Has there been a plot reason to use telepathy recently? Only instance I could think of was maybe calling Goku and Vegeta from Beerus' planet, but maybe there are distance limitations.
Well, Kaio "heard" them from the Kaioshin realm. Granted, he does say that it's his "specialty," and Goku and Piccolo probably aren't as good at it.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:30 pm

Kaioh called Vegeta to warn him about Beerus.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:21 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Well, Kaio "heard" them from the Kaioshin realm. Granted, he does say that it's his "specialty," and Goku and Piccolo probably aren't as good at it.
Yeah, they normally use Kaio as the "heavenly telephone" which made me think that the telepapthy doesn't work for the others from one realm to another as easily.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:09 pm

So that ends it. Telepathy hasn't been forgotten, it's used when it's needed.

SuicidalZerg
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuicidalZerg » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:17 am

Also, for the record, Telepathy has been used since the very beginning... Muten Roshi seemed to utilize it the most, reading the thoughts of Namu, and both Roshi and Tsuru sen'nin argued telepathically before the Goku vs. Tenshinhan fight. Then after the fight, Roshi spoke telepathically to Tenshinhan. Piccolo Daimao also spoke telepathically to his henchmen while they were out searching for the Dragon Balls.

Also, in late DBZ, Piccolo spoke telepathically to Gohan regarding Goku's fight with Majin Buu on the Kaioshin realm. And then, of course, in GT, he spoke to Gohan again before earth exploded. And in the fight with Yi Xing Long, as Goku was preparing to blow himself up, Vegeta telepathically spoke with him to tell him to not be a fool about doing so.
Nozawaberries commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqta3iB6ZM

Twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/suicidalzerg
Planet Minecraft skins: http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/son_gohan/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SC2SuicidalZerg
NA Battle tag: SuicidalZerg.158
MC username: SuicidalZerg

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:07 am

And in the fight with Yi Xing Long, as Goku was preparing to blow himself up, Vegeta telepathically spoke with him to tell him to not be a fool about doing so.
Is this the only instance Vegeta ever used it? If that's the case, then I don't think he knows how to (in canon).

It's a good thing that they didn't use this ability much in the series. It would have been a little annoyingly if they did it all the time.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:54 pm

It was only used for plot convinience and nothing more.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)