The TRUE timeline of Dragonball

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Re: The TRUE timeline of Dragonball

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Speedster wrote:[
Cell: Hehehe...Destroying it now is too late. The necessary cells have already been gathered, and the research has begun. Although, I won’t be completed for another twenty-four years
He said so while talking to Piccolo during the Androids arc. If they were in Age 767 as you suggest then he would be completed in Age 791 which is false as in Age 788 he was already completed, he killed Trunks and stole his time machine.
I know, but to fit that statement in we'd have to ignore the fact that from that point onward Trunks is always stated to be from only 17 years in the future, thus the gap between Trunks' time travel and Cell's time travel would be increased to 6-7 years rather than 3-4 years and it becomes impossible to fit Cell's 24 year statement in.

DMU

Post by DMU » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:26 pm

Hey guys, I know this is an old threat, but I think the DBS manga strengths Speedster point, when Bulma says that if 1 day passes in the present, 1 day has to pass in the future.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:44 pm

DMU wrote:Hey guys, I know this is an old threat, but I think the DBS manga strengths Speedster point, when Bulma says that if 1 day passes in the present, 1 day has to pass in the future.
Since he has made too many posts, I don't feel reading them all. So I don't know if he's actually right or wrong (if you could summarize what he said...), what I do know is that Bulma's line brings severe issues, huge problems, major inconsistency, enormous plothole, gigantic mistake.

If we go by what Bulma says there, in no way Trunks returns to the past (for the second time) from AGE 785, he would have come back from AGE 787. That also affects when the androids were defeated; they both were defeated in AGE 785. It would also affect Dragon Ball Super, Trunks returns to the past from AGE 796, if we go by Bulma's line, then it should be AGE 799 and in the present it should be AGE 782 (if we keep the "17 years back in time" from Dragon Ball Super).

Bulma's line would keep in line that Trunks time travelled twenty years even in later times, however, I do think that in Dragon Ball Super they chose for him to return seventeen years exactly because of the discrepancy that occured back in the day: while in the present three years passed, in the future it was AGE 785.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:41 pm

In the Broly movie the day that Freeza was announced as the new emperor to the Saiyans is placed at 41 years before present day. Five years later we have the events of Dragonball Minus where baby Goku is put in a pot and sent to Earth followed by Freeza blowing up planet Vegeta.

Given the known time skips, in order for all the known events to fit in the given 41-year time frame, all of the contested/challenged time skips (like Goku’s age at the 21st TB and the gap between the defeat of Freeza on Namek and Mecha Freeza) have to be as per my original post. Starting from year X, the year that Freeza took over the empire from his father, we have the following timeline:
As for calculating year X. Future Trunks first arrival is placed at 20+3+3=26 years before Age 788, i.e. in Age 762. Since that year is X+27 (i.e. X+27=762) it follows that year X is Age 735, with Goku therefore being born in Age 737 and the Broly movie events taking place in Age 776 (=735+41). This is cross-validated by the movie where there is a counter starting from Age 737 (probably because that’s the year of Goku’s birth) and after counting through all the years one by one (Age 737, Age 738, Age 739, …) and showing Goku's adventures we reach Age 775 followed by “present day” suggesting that present day is Age 776.

So lo and behold the TRUE timeline of Dragonball:
Age 735: Freeza takes over as emperor. Broly is exiled to planet Vampa
Age 737: Goku is born.
Age 740: Goku after growing for 3 years in the incubator is placed in a pot and sent to Earth.
Age 740: Freeza destroys Planet Vegeta.
Age 749: The 21st Tenkaichi budokai. Goku states he is 12 years old.
Age 752: The 22nd Tenkaichi budokai.
Age 755: The 23rd Tenkaichi budokai.
Age 760: Radditz arrives on Earth.
Age 760: Battles against Nappa and Vegeta.
Age 760 December: Goku defeats Freeza on Namek
Age 762: Future Trunks warns Goku about the Androids.
Age 764: Trunks is born.
Age 765 May: The Androids appear.
Age 765 May: Cell Games
Age 772: Buu arc
Age 772: A wish is made for people’s memories’ of Buu to be erased.
Age 773: Battle of Gods arc. Videl is early in her pregnancy. Shenlong is summoned. SSJG Goku vs Beerus
Age 774: Pan is born.
Age 774: Freeza gets resurrected and trains. Shenlong grants 3 wishes.
Age 774: Freeza comes to Earth for revenge. Golden Freeza Vs Goku/Vegeta
Age 774: U6 tournament arc
Age 774: Future Trunks arc
Age 775: Bulma gets pregnant.
Age 775: Bra is born, Tournament of Power takes place
Age 776: Freeza brings Broly to Earth. Broly Vs Goku/Vegeta.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:07 am

α) Chapter 1 through Pilaf Saga, "Hunt for Dragon Balls"
β) +1 year, 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai, Red Ribbon, Uranai Baba
γ) +3 years 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai, Tenshinhan, Piccolo Daimaoh
δ) +3 years 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai
ε) +5 years Raditz, Dead Zone
ζ) +1 year Vegeta, Wheelo, Tullece, Namek, Freeza, Slug
η) +2 years Trunks, Coola 1
θ) +3 years Coola 2, Androids, 13, Cell, Brolli, Cell Games, Bojack
ι) +7 years Brolli 2, Bio Brolli, Paikuhan, Saiyaman, Tournament, Janemba, Boo, Tapion
κ) + 10 years End of Z, 28th Tenkaichi Budoukai
λ) +5 years GT, Black Star, Baby
μ) +1 year 31st Tenkaichi Budoukai, Super 17, Ω Shenron
ν) gokou Jr

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:35 pm

Well, for me the DBS Broly movie messed up when they said 41 years ago. I think the 41 years ago should have been the time of Planet Vegeta's destruction and the Bardock story. The movie said that occurred 5 years after Freeza became emperor though, so actually it should have been 46 years before. Otherwise, it can all make sense if you only include Jaco the Galactic Patrolman manga, DB Minus, and DB manga.

The other thing is Goku's age. In DB Minus, Gine says that Goku was in the incubation pod for at least 3 years. Therefore, he has to be at least 3 years old when Grandpa Gohan finds him or 2 years old turning 3. The question, how the hell is Grandpa Gohan supposed to know how old Goku would be? He would have to guess and that would then become a reference point. Goku says he's 12 years old after he learns to count properly at the time when Bulma says she was 16 years old. However, in the Jaco manga, Tights says Bulma is only 5 years old at the time when Gohan finds Goku. Hence, according to the Jaco manga, the age gap between Goku and Bulma is 2 years, not 4. The only that can be fixed is if Bulma is 5 years old turning 6 and Goku is 2 years old turning 3 soon.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:26 pm

In chapter 69 of the DBS manga Granolah says that the planet of Sugarians was actually the planet of Cerealians 40 years ago (it stopped being so when the city was ravaged by Freeza’s army (Saiyans) and all Cerealians (except Granolah) were killed).

Then in chapter 71 Granolah says “it’s 50 years overdue but revenge will finally be mine” referring to revenge against the Saiyans and Freeza for the genocide of his people.

Then in chapter 76 Monaito says that it has been 40 years since a Saiyan named Bardock saved them during planet Cereal's destruction/genocide corroborating that the genocide of Cerealians and the destruction of their city took place or completed 40 years ago.

The 50 years reference in chapter 71 must therefore either be a mistake or there was somehow a 10-year war/conflict between the Cerealians and the Saiyans/Freeza/King Cold army which is unlikely/farfetched. In any case we can safely say that planet Cereal’s ravaging was completed 40 years prior to current time.

Updated TRUE timeline:
Age 735: Freeza takes over as emperor. Broly is exiled to planet Vampa
Age 737: Goku is born.
Age 737: The Sayains complete the ravaging of Cerealians’ planet.
Age 740: Goku after growing for 3 years in the incubator is placed in a pot and sent to Earth.
Age 740: Freeza destroys Planet Vegeta.
Age 749: The 21st Tenkaichi budokai. Goku states he is 12 years old.
Age 752: The 22nd Tenkaichi budokai.
Age 755: The 23rd Tenkaichi budokai.
Age 760: Radditz arrives on Earth.
Age 760: Battles against Nappa and Vegeta.
Age 760 December: Goku defeats Freeza on Namek
Age 762: Future Trunks warns Goku about the Androids.
Age 764: Trunks is born.
Age 765 May: The Androids appear.
Age 765 May: Cell Games
Age 772: Buu arc
Age 772: A wish is made for people’s memories’ of Buu to be erased.
Age 773: Battle of Gods arc. Videl is early in her pregnancy. Shenlong is summoned. SSJG Goku vs Beerus
Age 774: Pan is born.
Age 774: Freeza gets resurrected and trains. Shenlong grants 3 wishes.
Age 774: Freeza comes to Earth for revenge. Golden Freeza Vs Goku/Vegeta
Age 774: U6 tournament arc
Age 774: Future Trunks arc
Age 775: Bulma gets pregnant.
Age 775: Bra is born, Tournament of Power takes place
Age 776: Freeza brings Broly to Earth. Broly Vs Goku/Vegeta.
Age 777: Moro arc
Age 777: Granolah arc

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:32 pm

The "true timeline" is completely off. May I ask the reasoning behind the wrong dates?

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:24 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:32 pm The "true timeline" is completely off. May I ask the reasoning behind the wrong dates?
You wouldn't really be making this comment or asking this question if you had actually bothered to read the thread. You can find the entire reasoning behind each date in all of by previous posts/answers in this thread. No point of repeating myself. All I will say is that my TRUE timeline (and its reasoning) has been 100% vindicated by Dragonball Super and all of its doubters/challengers have been proven wrong.

My timeline as updated in my previous post is the TRUE timeline of Dragonball. I will keep updating it with new events as they unfold in the ongoing DBS manga series and upcoming animated movie (or even series). There is some uncertainty over the exact timepoint of the events of the Moro and Granoloah arc. They can be taking place anywhere from Age 777 to 779 (by the way, if in 779 then the destruction of planet Cereal takes place in Age 739) but I find it more likely that we are currently in Age 777 rather than 779. We may get something in Chapter 77 to pinpoint the date further (further like Bardock making a reference to his just born son or something). We will see.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:35 pm

Speedster wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:24 pmAll I will say is that my TRUE timeline (and its reasoning) has been 100% vindicated by Dragonball Super
Oh, so that's the problem. Going solely by Dragon Ball Super, known for its many mistakes. Well, if it's "yours" then I don't need to worry about, I guess.

But imagine placing Majin Buu saga in AGE 772, Pan's birth in AGE 774 and the end of the series in AGE 782... In your totally off/"true" timeline, Pan is eight years old by the time the 28th tournament happens, contradicting the manga, which says she's four. But anyway, please do keep it up.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:48 am

Interesting topic. I saw another theoretical DB timeline in Facebook, and comparing with yours I saw that there is an essential difference: the "he came from 20 years in the future" was retconned, and Trunks actually came from 17 years in the future.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:34 am

Speedster wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:26 pm
The 50 years reference in chapter 71 must therefore either be a mistake or there was somehow a 10-year war/conflict between the Cerealians and the Saiyans/Freeza/King Cold army which is unlikely/farfetched. In any case we can safely say that planet Cereal’s ravaging was completed 40 years prior to current time.
That 50 Year reference might be in regard to Granolah himself being 50.

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:11 am

Grimlock wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:35 pm
Speedster wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:24 pmAll I will say is that my TRUE timeline (and its reasoning) has been 100% vindicated by Dragonball Super
Oh, so that's the problem. Going solely by Dragon Ball Super, known for its many mistakes. Well, if it's "yours" then I don't need to worry about, I guess.

But imagine placing Majin Buu saga in AGE 772, Pan's birth in AGE 774 and the end of the series in AGE 782... In your totally off/"true" timeline, Pan is eight years old by the time the 28th tournament happens, contradicting the manga, which says she's four. But anyway, please do keep it up.
You don't have to worry about the TRUE timeline I posted in this thread. You are perfectly entitled to believe in a FALSE timeline and keep posting about Super's "many mistakes".

In any case here are a few facts. The ending of the original manga has been officially retconned by Super, the moment Vegeta no longer learns about Uub from Goku right before the 28th TB but instead much earlier. And in general, it is unwise to use the original ending anymore if you are also going to include the events of Dragonaball Super given how this is an entire ongoing series taking place after the Buu arc and before the original ending and the ending is subject to change.

Besides if we you are going to just disregard all the events of Super "because of Super's many mistakes" then where exactly is the problem with the Buu arc taking place in Age 772 and the 28th TB in Age 782? In the absence of Super you can simply have Pan born in Age 778 (thereby making her 4y.o. in the 28th TB) – the rest of the timeline for the original events are as per my originally posted timeline that is about the original manga only (and where I don't use the the birth of Pan as a milestone).

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:50 am

How do you feel about official timelines included in guidebooks and Online? They have few conflicting dates but I think it's 99% accurate or at least nothing in the original manga contradicts most of their dates. I'm curious because this is the first time I've seen someone argue that almost every date on every official timeline is wrong.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:58 pm

This is interesting.

Do you write any fan fiction with this timeline?
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:54 am

Your commitment to coming back every few years exclusively just to keep re-posting here in the thread you made is... well, it's something, to be sure!

I'd just state that, as with everyone else, you are but a fan, and to presume that you have figured out all of the intricate secrets the writers are hiding away from you and have reconciled everything perfectly is... presumptuous at best? With the way you talk to other users about it, extremely problematic at worst?

It's cool to look at things, try to figure it all out, and present that to people. It's super not cool to be unbelievably rude to people. The caps and the colors on top of it? Absolutely bizarre, my dude.

(Same goes for everyone else, of course.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:42 am

Speedster wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:11 amThe ending of the original manga has been officially retconned by Super
Source? Has Dragon Ball Super provided another ending? If that's the case, please post it here, I would like to take a look at it myself.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:39 am

Speedster wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:11 am

In any case here are a few facts. The ending of the original manga has been officially retconned by Super, the moment Vegeta no longer learns about Uub from Goku right before the 28th TB but instead much earlier. And in general, it is unwise to use the original ending anymore if you are also going to include the events of Dragonaball Super given how this is an entire ongoing series taking place after the Buu arc and before the original ending and the ending is subject to change.
Vegeta's reaction in the End of Z to Uub doesn't necessarily totally dismiss previous knowledge of him, as it's more that he shows surprise that Uub specifically is the reincarnation of Buu, not that there's a reincarnation of Buu that exists out there.

Likewise, you have to get into the situation of different continuities with Super, where the manga doesn't have that exchange between Goku and Vegeta regarding Uub, and in turn, you have Toyotaro saying that the story is working towards the End of Z.

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:41 pm

So in chapter 77 we get further confirmation that the invasion of the Cerealians' planet happened 40 years before current time. It repeats for one more time that these events took place 40 years earlier. It is 3 times now that it is stated to be 40 years without anything preceding this number. No “around”, no “about”, no “approximately”. It is plain 40 years. So no wiggle room as far as I am concerned. And that invasion took only a single day or so. And Goku was already born when that happened. So the TRUE timeline is verified once again as there is no other way you can fit the time constraints from both the Broly movie and the Granolah arc otherwise.
Darkprince410 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:39 am Vegeta's reaction in the End of Z to Uub doesn't necessarily totally dismiss previous knowledge of him, as it's more that he shows surprise that Uub specifically is the reincarnation of Buu, not that there's a reincarnation of Buu that exists out there.
Well that’s a stretch to begin with but even if we were to accept that excuse it is not the only thing that is problematic with the original ending versus Super, is it? It is also the fact that in the original ending (chapter 518) it is established that Goku and Bulma have not seen each other for over 5 years (Goku says he last saw her 5 years ago but Bulma then says Goku didn’t show up in that gathering because he was off training - so it is over 5 years – let’s say 5.5 years). So if you are going to place the events of Super as taking place 5 years after the defeat of Buu in order to not contradict Pan’s age in the original ending then you run into the problem of retconning that dialogue of Goku and Bulma in the original ending. Furthermore, you also have the fact that Bulma is visibly aged in the original ending something that also comes up in the dialogue about not having met with Goku for (over) 5 years. What is more is that in the Dragonball Super Super Hero movie the creators said it takes place 10 years after the defeat of Buu so around the original ending. Yet Toriyama has changed the design of Bulma and no longer appears as visibly aged as she was in the original ending.

Any way you slice it, the original ending has been retconned as at least one thing in it is being contradicted by Super and it is not possible to reconcile for everything all at once. You can make an excuse for one thing but then that creates a contradiction with another. As such the wise thing to do is to disregard the ending from the time placement of the events of Super. And let’s not forget that an age readjustment is not unprecedented in Dragonball. Gohan was 3 years old in the original Weekly Shonen Jump and Tankobon releases and changed into 4 years old in the Kanzenban one.
Darkprince410 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:39 am Likewise, you have to get into the situation of different continuities with Super, where the manga doesn't have that exchange between Goku and Vegeta regarding Uub, and in turn, you have Toyotaro saying that the story is working towards the End of Z.
Well that applies both ways. Also any changes in the events must be constrained to those taking place after the defeat of Buu, after the beginning of Super. Like for example when Pan was born. The core of this thread though is not about the time placement of Super itself per se. It is mainly about the events before the beginning of the events of Super i.e. before any change of continuity can apply. And Super supports the time placement of those events as per my TRUE timeline and not as per the conventional one. This comes from fundamental explanations given in Super such as the way time travel mechanics work in Dragonball as well as straight out chronology of past events relative to Super's arcs (e.g. the destruction of planet Vegeta 35 years prior to the Broly arc, the genocide of Cerelians 40 years prior to the Granloah arc, etc).

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:01 pm

Speedster wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:41 pm What is more is that in the Dragonball Super Super Hero movie the creators said it takes place 10 years after the defeat of Buu so around the original ending. Yet Toriyama has changed the design of Bulma and no longer appears as visibly aged as she was in the original ending.
No, Iyoku said that it still takes place within the 10 years between the Buu arc and the End of Z, not that it takes place 10 years after the defeat of Buu.