Rationalizing forgotten attacks

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Rationalizing forgotten attacks

Post by LightBing » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:05 pm

There are many attacks, mainly in the first portion of the manga, with huge upside. That weren't ever used again. So I ask, why?

Examples:

Mafuba
This should be a no-brainer, can't defeat the opponent, seal them! However, it was never used again past the 23rd TB. My theory, the problem isn't in the technique but in the container. The enemies got so powerful, that the containers wouldn't be able to hold them.

Dodonpa
It's basically a kamehameha but better. We can assume all of Master Roshi students choose not to try to learn it, because of it's creator and out of respect for their master. Still kinda weird that such a useful technique was forgotten.

Bankoku Bikkuri Shō
You know, the electric like attack Jackie Chun used against Goku in the 21st TB. He called it his most lethal attack, stronger than the Kamehameha. This would be useful in the many battles. Most likely he chose not to teach them.

Shiyōken
Grow two extra arms! This one is weird, it was introduced to be quickly countered. In a way that doesn't seem right, just because one is faster doesn't make having two extra arms redundant. Hum... :think:

There are probably a few more techniques like those. So what do you guys think, what are your theories?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Racionalizing forgotten attacks

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:08 pm

Piccolo's arm stretching was forgotten too. It might not pack a lot of punch but it can be real useful for closing the distance and its not like Piccolo can't grow an arm back if it backfires on him.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:34 pm

Modern fights are incredibly uninspired. I think Goku used the kamehameha in his fight with Beerus more times than he did in the Saiyan and Namek sagas combined.

Either the creators have forgotten those moves, or they don't feel like bothering having anything beyond punching, kicking, and throwing generic beams.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:36 pm

You know what I miss most, the Power Pole. Now that was an item that was useful and unique in combat.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:22 pm

Why didn't they just call Devilman to kill every opponent for them?

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:33 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Why didn't they just call Devilman to kill every opponent for them?
I remember that "what-if" from one of the Tenkaichi Budokai games. It was awesome. :mrgreen:

tasuxeda

Post by tasuxeda » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Mafuba
This technique also causes the user to die so not a technique to be used lightly.

Dodonpa & Bankoku Bikkuri Shō
These techniques might not scale up as well as the Kamekameha does.

Shiyōken
My theory is that Shiyōken is similar to Shishin no Ken in that the arms power is divided between the original arms and the extra arms.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:26 pm

Don't forget about stuff like the Multi Form/Tri Form techniques. Those were pretty cool tricks and probably would have helped in the fight against Freeza's army.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:38 am

Did Tien ever use the volleyball technique after Dragonball?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:03 am

There's also the fact that using the Mafuba kills you.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:51 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:There's also the fact that using the Mafuba kills you.
And also the fact that is you use the Mafuba technique incorrectly, you can end up destroy the electric rice cooker intended to trap your target, making the technique pointless in the end. Hell, that why Tien never bother using it in the end after practicing the technique for several hours. The electric rice cooker kept being heavily damaged or destroyed.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:31 am

Remember when Goku escaped Freeza's paralyzing light ball without being damaged by flying away the instant it exploded, basically outracing the explosion? And he was able to do the same against Beerus recently. What is stopping every character from just outracing the explosion of a ki attack every time they're hit?

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:11 am

They don't try anymore, Goku just seems like a Kamehameha spammer now, there not much originality in fights these days.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:15 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Remember when Goku escaped Freeza's paralyzing light ball without being damaged by flying away the instant it exploded, basically outracing the explosion? And he was able to do the same against Beerus recently. What is stopping every character from just outracing the explosion of a ki attack every time they're hit?
Sometimes the attacks are faster than they are, I guess.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:27 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Piccolo's arm stretching was forgotten too. It might not pack a lot of punch but it can be real useful for closing the distance and its not like Piccolo can't grow an arm back if it backfires on him.
That's a good one. When was the last he used it? Against #17?
tasuxeda wrote:Mafuba
This technique also causes the user to die so not a technique to be used lightly.

Dodonpa & Bankoku Bikkuri Shō
These techniques might not scale up as well as the Kamekameha does.

Shiyōken
My theory is that Shiyōken is similar to Shishin no Ken in that the arms power is divided between the original arms and the extra arms.
I'm pretty sure Cyborg Tao developed a Super Dodonpa.
Polyphase Avatron wrote:There's also the fact that using the Mafuba kills you.
Better to use it than to let everyone get killed. Plus this is Dragon Ball, with two (now three) sets of Dragon Balls ready to bring everyone back.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:07 pm

True... but isn't that the blast Tenshinhan was able to blow away just with a kiai? Tenshinhan was stronger and more skilled than Tao at this point, yeah, but it wasn't such a drastic difference that Tao couldn't even scratch him (the hidden blade in his arm managed to leave a pretty decent slash across his chest, at least.)

I get the feeling that while Super Dodonpa still could've been useful if people had kept on using and developing it into the Z era (I imagine it'd probably be like a better version of Freeza's Death Beams, just like how both the heroes and Freeza use Kienzan-type techniques but Freeza's aren't as controllable as Krillin's), it definitely got left behind by the Kamehameha by the end of Dragonball -- Dodonpa's original "superior to Kamehameha" status only applied to the first versions of each technique, not to the later upgrades.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:25 pm

Pantalones wrote:
True... but isn't that the blast Tenshinhan was able to blow away just with a kiai? Tenshinhan was stronger and more skilled than Tao at this point, yeah, but it wasn't such a drastic difference that Tao couldn't even scratch him (the hidden blade in his arm managed to leave a pretty decent slash across his chest, at least.)

I get the feeling that while Super Dodonpa still could've been useful if people had kept on using and developing it into the Z era (I imagine it'd probably be like a better version of Freeza's Death Beams, just like how both the heroes and Freeza use Kienzan-type techniques but Freeza's aren't as controllable as Krillin's), it definitely got left behind by the Kamehameha by the end of Dragonball -- Dodonpa's original "superior to Kamehameha" status only applied to the first versions of each technique, not to the later upgrades.
He only scratched him because he caught him by surprise. Tenshinhan had a massive gap in power, finishing him with just a punch. That's why the attack was stopped the way it was. Tsuru school certainly excelled in creating techniques, if the characters had keep up improving the technique it would be on the same level or better than the kamehameha.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:51 pm

I can't exactly remember the context of when the Dodonpa was said to be stronger than the Kamehameha, but I always just assumed that was just big talk by the Crane School.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Rationalizing forgotten attacks

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:07 am

Well, let's talk Mafuba.

To all those who said it could kill you, yes, Master Mutaito and Master Roshi, did die after performing. But Tenshinhan did not die in training, (and in an anime exclusive scene, captured Drum by mistake, almost sealing him) Kami performed it, and Piccolo reflected, and none of them died. I believe the answer is simple: a lot of chi is used to contain the opponent in the beam, and you could very well die from expending your normal energy followed by your life energy to force the opponent into the jar.

As for the attack possibly failing to keep the enemy contained, keep in mind that several villains, and a lot of villains in anime, usually come out of sealed containers, it's a trope in itself. I personally don't think that Cell or Majin Buu is too good to be contained, but I do believe that Master Roshi would die mid spell if he performed the Mafuba on them.

Rationalization is simple: No one wants to die. I see Piccolo being the likely candidate of sealing Buu or Cell successfully, but at the cost of his life. It's easier to follow the series staple of putting your hopes and dreams into the Saiyans than actually sacrificing yourself.

on the Dodonpa, frankly all energy attacks look the same, at least the Kamehameha Wave looks cool doing.

Bangkok Suprise - Easy One. Master Roshi decided to convert Tenshinhan to the good side instead of winning, and it took to long to perform against 1000 of Freeza's forces.

Shiyoken - It's not that Tenshinhan forgot, it's that the only attack that gave him an edge equal to the Saiyans, was not the Shiyoken.

Battousai
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Battousai » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:37 am

Insertclevername wrote:I can't exactly remember the context of when the Dodonpa was said to be stronger than the Kamehameha, but I always just assumed that was just big talk by the Crane School.
It's just big talk. Dodonpa is a one finger blast technique, unlike the kamehameha, which use the both hands. Also, Kamehameha uses much more energy. Remember Chaozu when he was spamming Dodonpas against Kuririn ?