Do the first 13 Z films fit into the anime canon?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Do the first 13 Z films fit into the anime canon?

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:40 pm

No, they don't. They are said to be set in alternate universe.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:40 pm

Toriyama views the older films set in their own dimension. So this how I view it:

DBZ Movie 1 - Set in a world where Radditz never came to Earth. This can explain why they know Gohan and why Goku was surprise by Piccolo's weight clothes.
DBZ Movie 2 - Set in a world where Freeza didn't go to Namek and Goku kills Vegeta.
DBZ Movie 3 - Set in a world where Goku was never late coming back to Earth and Goku kills Vegeta.
DBZ Movie 4 - Set in a world where Piccolo kills Freeza. It can explain why there is no Vegeta since Piccolo probably killed him afterwards.
DBZ Movie 5 & 6 - Set in a world where Future Trunks never went back in time and Kami was able to discover #19 and Dr. Gero before anyone else. Piccolo fused with Kami before #19 and Dr. Gero show up and destroyed them quick. It can explain why Dende is the new Kami.
DBZ Movie 7 - Set in a world where Goku didn't get the heart virus and they where able to find the blueprints of #16-19 and use it to create a remote control, allowing them to deactivate them. Cell never shows up in this world/timeline.
DBZ Movies 8, 10 and 11 - Set in a world where is no Cell Games. This is why everyone is not in a panic and that Goku was able to go on a interview with Chi Chi. After they fight Broli in Movie 8, they try to fight Cell head on and Goku gets himself kill. Gohan kills Cell before he can try self destructed himself. Several years later, Goku never returns back to Earth which can explain why he is in Other World in DBZ Movie 11. Kaioshin, Gohan and Vegeta where able to stop Babidi and Dabra. Krillin didn't bother to go with Kaioshin. It can explain his appearance in DBZ Movie 11.
DBZ Movie 12 - Set in a world where somehow all 12 movies happen in the timeline. Gohan manged to kill Super Buu and they used the Dragon Balls to wish back everyone.

DBZ Movie 9 and DBZ Movie 13 seem to fit very well with the main universe/timeline of the series. The only big error in DBZ Movie 9 is the lack of Goten as a baby and Trunks hair is somewhat longer. The only error that Movie 13 has is the lack of Mr. Satan and Fat Buu. It's possible that Buu was sleeping which is why he didn't help against Hirudegarn.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:49 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: DBZ Movie 2 - Set in a world where Freeza didn't go to Namek and Goku kills Vegeta.
DBZ Movie 3 - Set in a world where Goku was never late coming back to Earth and Goku kills Vegeta.
DBZ Movie 4 - Set in a world where Piccolo kills Freeza. It can explain why there is no Vegeta since Piccolo probably killed him afterwards.
I always thought those movies take place in the same continuity, where Goku arrives early and Piccolo kills Vegeta when he is battle-worn.

Btw, in Lord Slug, when he reads Bulma's mind, there's a brief flashback of The Tree of Might.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:46 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:No, they don't. They are said to be set in alternate universe.
By who? Toriyama? That means separate from the manga not the anime.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:00 pm

In Movie 4, the other Z fighters are not around. I assume that they choose to stay on King Kai's planet longer or they didn't bother to join. In Movie 4, Piccolo seems to be fused with Nail while he is not in DBZ Movie 3. So I'm not sure if Movie 3 and 4 can take place in the same world/timeline.
She/Her

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:40 am

Dragon Ball XenoVerse shows that Bardock's TV Special & Movie 10 take place in different dimensions from the main dimension, where DB/Z (+fillers maybe), (maybe) M1, (probably) M5, (maybe) JSAT, BoG, (probably) FnF, (probably) Jaco, and XV take place, and GT is shown to be an alternative timeline created by Trunks' time-travels. It also has other temporary dimensions that are created by distortions in history caused by Towa, Mira, and Demigra, where what-ifs take place. So, not just the movies, but everything else, like Dragon Ball Heroes, Dragon Ball SD, video-game what-ifs, the Summer Vacation Special, the Traffic Safety Specials, etc can fit in different dimensions, alternative timelines, or temporary dimensions, if you take DBXV as anime canon.

As for the guidebooks, a few movies (and Neko Majin) are said to take place in different dimensions, but DB/Z (+fillers), M1, M5, Bardock's TV Special, EoB, JSAT, BoG, and GT take place in the same continuity according to the official timeline in Chozenshuu #4, but keep in mind that this timeline was made before XenoVerse, Jaco, FnF, and Super.

The latest timeline from an official website has DB/Z (+fillers), EoB, Jaco, BoG, and FnF, with M1 & JSAT probably taking place there as well, even though they aren't mentioned.

For what it's worth, Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission seems to take place in a world where DB/Z/GT/Super, along with the 13 Movies, JSAT, PtEtSS, EoB, the TV Specials, Jaco, and Neko Majin have all happened.

So, if we take all these into account, the anime canon seems to be DB/Z(+fillers), Jaco, EoB (anime), M1, M5, JSAT (anime), Super (anime; it replaces BoG & FnF), and XV, maybe M9 & M13 as well since they fit, with everything else taking place in alternative timelines, different dimensions, or temporary dimensions.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:46 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Dragon Ball XenoVerse shows that Bardock's TV Special & Movie 10 take place in different dimensions from the main dimension, where DB/Z (+fillers maybe), (maybe) M1, (probably) M5, (maybe) JSAT, BoG, (probably) FnF, (probably) Jaco, and XV take place, and GT is shown to be an alternative timeline created by Trunks' time-travels. It also has other temporary dimensions that are created by distortions in history caused by Towa, Mira, and Demigra, where what-ifs take place. So, not just the movies, but everything else, like Dragon Ball Heroes, Dragon Ball SD, video-game what-ifs, the Summer Vacation Special, the Traffic Safety Specials, etc can fit in different dimensions, alternative timelines, or temporary dimensions, if you take DBXV as anime canon.

As for the guidebooks, a few movies (and Neko Majin) are said to take place in different dimensions, but DB/Z (+fillers), M1, M5, Bardock's TV Special, EoB, JSAT, BoG, and GT take place in the same continuity according to the official timeline in Chozenshuu #4, but keep in mind that this timeline was made before XenoVerse, Jaco, FnF, and Super.

The latest timeline from an official website has DB/Z (+fillers), EoB, Jaco, BoG, and FnF, with M1 & JSAT probably taking place there as well, even though they aren't mentioned.

For what it's worth, Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission seems to take place in a world where DB/Z/GT/Super, along with the 13 Movies, JSAT, PtEtSS, EoB, the TV Specials, Jaco, and Neko Majin have all happened.

So, if we take all these into account, the anime canon seems to be DB/Z(+fillers), Jaco, EoB (anime), M1, M5, JSAT (anime), Super (anime; it replaces BoG & FnF), and XV, maybe M9 & M13 as well since they fit, with everything else taking place in alternative timelines, different dimensions, or temporary dimensions.

Ummm Xenoverse is a game. It's not by Toei or Toriyama. It's non canon to the manga and the anime.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:34 pm

This is how I see the movies fitting into Dragonball anime canon.

Dragonball Movies 1-4 - All of them alternate timelines and retellings.
Dragonball Z: These all take place in a singular timeline together, but only some actually connect to the anime.
Movie 1 - Takes place before Saiyan arc (Canon)
Movie 2 - Takes place in an alternate Raditz encounter where Goku doesn't die.
Movie 3 - Takes place in an alternate Vegeta encounter where Goku appears before everyone dies and saves the day.
Movie 4 - Same as above. Goku and crew go to Namek sometime after this.
Movie 5 - Takes place after Freeza arc. (Canon)
Movie 6 - Takes place in an Android arc where the Androids Cell was defeated super early (notice how Cell wasn't in Fusion Reborn?). Dende became Kami earlier
Movie 7 - Same as above.
Movie 8 - Same as above.
Movie 9 - Takes place after the defeat of Cell (Canon)
Movie 10 - Takes place in an alternate Boo arc, before the arrival of Boo.
Movie 11 - Same as above.
Movie 12 - Takes place in an alternate Boo arc where Boo was defeated early on. Cameos from all the villains from the previous movies contains all the films into one timeline.
Movie 13 - Doesn't fit into the above timeline, but takes place after the defeat of Boo (Canon)

That's the alternate timeline, the anime timeline looks something like this:

1. Bardock Special
2. Episode of Bardock
3. Dr. Slump
4. Dragonball (All arcs)
5. Movie 1 - Dead Zone
6. Dragonball Z (Saiyan arc)
7. Dragonball Z (Freeza arc)
8. Movie 4 - Cooler's Revenge
9. Dragonball Z (Android arc)
10. Movie 9 - Bojack Unbound
11. Dragonball Z (Boo arc)
12. Movie 13 - Wrath of the Dragon
13. Yo! Son Goku and Friends
??. Dragonball Super (Maybe?)
14. Dragonball GT (All arcs + Special)

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:44 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote:This is how I see the movies fitting into Dragonball anime canon.

Dragonball Movies 1-4 - All of them alternate timelines and retellings.
Dragonball Z: These all take place in a singular timeline together, but only some actually connect to the anime.
Movie 1 - Takes place before Saiyan arc (Canon)
Movie 2 - Takes place in an alternate Raditz encounter where Goku doesn't die.
Movie 3 - Takes place in an alternate Vegeta encounter where Goku appears before everyone dies and saves the day.
Movie 4 - Same as above. Goku and crew go to Namek sometime after this.
Movie 5 - Takes place after Freeza arc. (Canon)
Movie 6 - Takes place in an Android arc where the Androids Cell was defeated super early (notice how Cell wasn't in Fusion Reborn?). Dende became Kami earlier
Movie 7 - Same as above.
Movie 8 - Same as above.
Movie 9 - Takes place after the defeat of Cell (Canon)
Movie 10 - Takes place in an alternate Boo arc, before the arrival of Boo.
Movie 11 - Same as above.
Movie 12 - Takes place in an alternate Boo arc where Boo was defeated early on. Cameos from all the villains from the previous movies contains all the films into one timeline.
Movie 13 - Doesn't fit into the above timeline, but takes place after the defeat of Boo (Canon)

That's the alternate timeline, the anime timeline looks something like this:

1. Bardock Special
2. Episode of Bardock
3. Dr. Slump
4. Dragonball (All arcs)
5. Movie 1 - Dead Zone
6. Dragonball Z (Saiyan arc)
7. Dragonball Z (Freeza arc)
8. Movie 4 - Cooler's Revenge
9. Dragonball Z (Android arc)
10. Movie 9 - Bojack Unbound
11. Dragonball Z (Boo arc)
12. Movie 13 - Wrath of the Dragon
13. Yo! Son Goku and Friends
??. Dragonball Super (Maybe?)
14. Dragonball GT (All arcs + Special)

I agree but I wouldn't put the GT special in. It's too contradictory. And you son Goku and episode of bardock just don't seam like anything more then what if specials like plan to eradicate the saiyans. Super is a no. It's for the manga's continuity. And dr. Slump sure can fit, but it's kinda vague.

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:20 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:I agree but I wouldn't put the GT special in. It's too contradictory. And you son Goku and episode of bardock just don't seam like anything more then what if specials like plan to eradicate the saiyans. Super is a no. It's for the manga's continuity. And dr. Slump sure can fit, but it's kinda vague.
As long as Super has Gregory it isn't in the manga continuity. The only thing we directly know that's been stated as continuations of the manga is the two movies as of recent.

Super seems to be more of a continuation of Dragonball Kai more than anything (same timeslot afterall).

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:55 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:I agree but I wouldn't put the GT special in. It's too contradictory. And you son Goku and episode of bardock just don't seam like anything more then what if specials like plan to eradicate the saiyans. Super is a no. It's for the manga's continuity. And dr. Slump sure can fit, but it's kinda vague.
As long as Super has Gregory it isn't in the manga continuity. The only thing we directly know that's been stated as continuations of the manga is the two movies as of recent.

Super seems to be more of a continuation of Dragonball Kai more than anything (same timeslot afterall).

Kai fits, but don't forget battle of gods connected itself to yo son goku and it had Gregory.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:19 am

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:Ummm Xenoverse is a game. It's not by Toei or Toriyama. It's non canon to the manga and the anime.
Being a video-game doesn't mean anything, there are franchises like Star Wars where video-games are canon. It's also based on DBO, which was written by Toriyama.

But you can ignore it if you want of course, since we don't have an official canon. What I'm saying is that if you want to take it into account, it has this & that.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Xenoverse has a original story to it unlike the other DBZ games. Not to mention it's story made more sense then the Shin Budokai games did in my opinion.
She/Her

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:08 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:Ummm Xenoverse is a game. It's not by Toei or Toriyama. It's non canon to the manga and the anime.
Being a video-game doesn't mean anything, there are franchises like Star Wars where video-games are canon. It's also based on DBO, which was written by Toriyama.

But you can ignore it if you want of course, since we don't have an official canon. What I'm saying is that if you want to take it into account, it has this & that.
Yeah that's fair, I see it as there's a anime canon and a manga canon and the games are all what ifs like some of the films are. Like fusion reborn.

I think it's Ball-Z-GT and dead zone and cooler's revenge and the original 2 dbz specials.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote: Movie 6 - Takes place in an Android arc where the Androids Cell was defeated super early (notice how Cell wasn't in Fusion Reborn?).
Goku is dead in Fusion Reborn, so the Cell games and Goku death must have happen in the Fusion Reborn timeline. Cell was most likely not in Fusion Reborn since they probably didn't have the time to get Norio Wakamoto to do some voice work. I would imagine Cell did escape off screen and was sent back to Hell when they used the Dragon Balls to send everyone back there.
She/Her

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:28 pm

My ideas on movies:

1-2 I'll skip them.

3 - Tree of might / turles:

Goku arrives before any death vs saiyans, and kills them both.

4 - Slug

Same as last one, but everyone continues training, and is slightly stronger. So, when turles is killed, sometime later, slug comes. No namek or frieza encounter here.

5- Cooler

Everyone comes from namek, but goku never spent long time on yadrat, and came back as soon as he learnt IT. No mecha frieza.

6 - Meta cooler

Not sure, but likely after previous movie.

7 - #13

Takes place before kami fusion.

8 - Broly

Takes place in HTC (when goku and gohan are training). If it gets a logical explanation in DBS, it can fit in canon.

9 - Bojack

After cell games.

10 - Broly return

Between 7 year time skip

12 - Janemba

Buu is killed in his fat buu (or super buu) form.

13 - Wrath of dragon

Takes place after Buu saga. Goku has become stronger than everyone, and vegeta has also improved a lot.

Only movie 13, 9 and 10 fit in canon. 8 can fit in canon if it gets a good explanation.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza