Why Didn't Goku Teach Piccolo the Kaio-ken?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

oreos-splash
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Why Didn't Goku Teach Piccolo the Kaio-ken?

Post by oreos-splash » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:13 pm

wow a lott of interesting theories in this topic! I want to put in my own two cents :-)

I believe that the kai o ken is a forbidden technique for the living, because the technique can be extremely fatal, and even results in death. It's fine if you're trying to learn it while you're dead, but while alive its best to learn the theory and move on.

but still doesn't explain why Tien didn't learn it, unless he learned an application, or decided to forget about it because it was too risky, or input of his own version into his own techniques, and Akira forgot about it
those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it~ Edmund Burke (at least that's what Google says)

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:20 am

Darkprince410 wrote:
That's all filler content though, and is essentially not even suggested in any way, shape, or form in the manga. Outside of Goku being shown preparing a Genki Dama, which he used to destroy a large object thrown by Kaiou, the only aspect of their actual training we're shown is Goku being knocked away by Kaiou with a palm thrust.

Everything shown of their training together between Goku catching Bubbles to mastering the Genki Dama:
"Filler" as it may be, I don't directly discount it as non-essential or non-relevant. When we are shown so little in both versions, I believed it to be an important clip to point out as it was never shown during the edited ocean cast version of the saga, and may be skipped over by people watching "Marathon" mode on more recent DVD sets to the point that many people may never have even seen it.

The base Kaiou-ken is a 2x increase, as the concept of a 2x Kaiou-ken isn't even mentioned until Goku used it part way through his battle with Vegeta in order to try and dodge Vegeta's fiery ki blast. Why Toriyama decided to have Goku call out Kaiou-ken 2x during that situation is unknown, but both prior to that and after, when Goku was just calling out "Kaiou-ken" (no number added) it was a 2x increase.
Without a doubt this is true as you have described. Once the technique was mastered, the base form was always a double. Of that I am not making any claims to the contrary. In the early days of the internet, and the many years since, there has always seemed to be confusion because of Goku calling out a "Kaioken times two" in that one scene. To the point of people thinking there was a basic one and theories around it being a 1.5 times increase and so on. I was possibly not very clear in my statements, but I what I meant was that the basic learning form shown in that clip with Kaio is probably akin to a non multiplying "x1" if you will, if there were such a thing. Any use once Goku returned to earth was always a double multiplier to be sure I wanted to point out that Goku seems to have two variations of use regarding the technique. Quick, instant use bursts, and extended use "power up and maintain a short time" variants. The bursts are instant-on base double Kaiokens, like when he broke Nappa's back. The extended use for the fight with Vegeta saw Goku take a bit longer activating it, applying the multiplier, and seemingly shoring himself up for the strain it would impart. Hopefully, that explains what I was trying to say a bit better without adding any additional confusion.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:38 am

Akira wrote:
Darkprince410 wrote:
That's all filler content though, and is essentially not even suggested in any way, shape, or form in the manga. Outside of Goku being shown preparing a Genki Dama, which he used to destroy a large object thrown by Kaiou, the only aspect of their actual training we're shown is Goku being knocked away by Kaiou with a palm thrust.

Everything shown of their training together between Goku catching Bubbles to mastering the Genki Dama:
"Filler" as it may be, I don't directly discount it as non-essential or non-relevant. When we are shown so little in both versions, I believed it to be an important clip to point out as it was never shown during the edited ocean cast version of the saga, and may be skipped over by people watching "Marathon" mode on more recent DVD sets to the point that many people may never have even seen it.
There's no indication though that this was filler with Toriyama's involvement, and filler content without Toriyama's involvement is basically meaningless. Otherwise we'd have to accept things like Goku being simultaneously far stronger and far weaker than post power-up Gohan in the Buu Saga, that Tenshinhan and the others bumped their battle powers up to over 40x in the span of a week on Kaiou's planet, and so on.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:37 pm

Given that Kaio is a God, perhaps his techniques have intrinsically divine qualities.

Although it's not formally stated with the Genki Dama, it is expressed as only those without "evil Ki" being able to wield and repel it. The same could apply with the Kaio-ken, in which case, Piccolo's evil Ki would prevent him from using it.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:46 pm

Didn't Kami say Piccolo's evil was pretty much gone after the Raditz battle?
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:19 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:Didn't Kami say Piccolo's evil was pretty much gone after the Raditz battle?
Not quite, Kami expresses him still being evil but no longer to the degree of a Demon Clansmen.

Even before merging with Piccolo in the Cell arc, Kami establishes that "most" of his evil was gone, but not all of it. It's worth noting that Goku was the only one pure enough to qualify to become a God at Kami's recommendation, and based on the fact he can still ride Kinto'un, it doesn't appear he lost that quality after marrying Chichi. So it would reinforce the idea of Goku's uniqueness granting him the ability to wield Kaio's techniques but not the others that trained there.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Then is Kaio also unable to use the Spirit Bomb since he isn't pure either? At least with Kaio-ken you can infer that him being quite old even for a Kai and likely well past his prime by the time he got the idea for Kaio-ken is a good explanation for why he could never use it himself.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:07 pm

I think it's just a case of Goku being Goku. Why should he care if Piccolo could do it or not? He doesn't exactly rely on Piccolo to help him out in battle. The people Goku relies on make the Kaio-ken seem silly.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:11 pm

At this point in the story, Piccolo and Gohan are pretty much the only guys he 100% knows he can count on for anything really. Vegeta is a maverick who can (and does) screw over the good guys if his ego gets the better of him and is pretty dead set on killing him once the Android threat is done. Besides, the whole point of Goku's ass backwards training is for everyone to improve as much as they can, why not give the guy who can reach SSJ levels of strength with a fairly small Kaio-Ken (during the later stages of their training) the technique? Especially since he knows the heart virus could kick in and complicate things which happens anyway.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Hm, good point. Maybe it's Goku's careless nature? He didn't need to use Kaio-ken anymore, so he might have just forgotten all about it. Gohan should remember, though.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Both of Kaio's techniques are desperation moves, and if not used with extreme caution, can very easily destroy the user. If anything makes sense, the risky nature and the draw-backs to these moves are most likely the primary reasons Goku does not pass them on to others.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:48 am

because goku feared that piccolo will become the main character.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

KarinSSJ

Post by KarinSSJ » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:42 pm

In my opinion, in the original manga it's implicit that both Tenshinhan and Piccolo learned Kaioken from Kaio-Sama.

In chapter 312, Tenshinhan says that Goku will win against Freeza because of Kaioken:
"Don't worry. Goku will win. Have you forgot about Kaioken? With this level of trainment, he must be capable to use Kaioken x10" (And then Kaio-Sama replied that Goku was already fighting with Kaioken x10)

In the manga we see nothing about what kind of trainment Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Chaozu and Piccolo received from Kaio-Sama, but it's suposed it was the same kind Goku received. And learning the Kaioken is the most crucial part of it. Of course, it's very difficult to learn this technique, and so I don't think Yamcha and Chaozu managed to do it. But Tenshinhan and Piccolo are genius fighters almost as much as Goku is.

In the quote above, we see that Tenshinhan didn't just know Kaioken, but he understood it to the point as to be certain Goku would be able to use it x10.

In chapter 314, when Kurilin told Piccolo about the Genki Dama, he said: "Damn Kaio... He never told me nothing about it"

Piccolo didn't made a similar comment about Kaioken before. So, it's clear to me that Kaio-Sama mantained just Genki-Dama as a secret, but teached Kaioken to Piccolo and Tenshinhan.

This also explains why Piccolo was stronger than Android 20 in the Androids Saga. And also Tenshinhan being capable of stopping Cell for a while and achieving the completely outstanding feature of repelling a blast from Super Buu (Gotenks absorbed) with Kikoho.

So, why it's never shown Piccolo and Tenshinhan using Kaioken?

Well, Goku used Kaioken x10 against Freeza and was never shown he expliciting saiying "Kaioken", until that Kame Hame Ha x20 Kaioken.

As Dragon Ball arcs passed, some important techniques just stopped to be mentioned, despite the fact that a lot of characters were using them all the time. That happened to Zanzoken, Bukujutsu, Chou Kame Hame Ha (just being mentioned simply as "Kame Hame Ha" in arcs after the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi). And I believe that also happened to Kaioken from Freeza's fight onwards.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:13 pm

Now the question is not why they were not taught, it's why they did not use the Kaio-ken.
Such a wasted opportunity.....
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:18 pm

Because even if it can be used by other characters, Kaioken is just another of tehniques which are solely made for Goku.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:18 am

Simple explanation for the general manga is that Toriyama either neglected to consider it for purposes related to his new, shiny, and convenient plot device, Super Saiyan, or he forgot about it entirely which I wouldn't put it past Toriyama to do. Kaioken was an extraordinary yet momentary burst of power that Goku frequently needed in emergency situations to keep himself going in the fights against various opponents. It seems like Toriyama didn't want to commit to other characters learning this obviously valuable means to keep themselves competitive.

Kaioken would have been and still could the perfect means for at least Piccolo to give himself a leg up. It's only one step but one that has been sorely needed and is so glaringly obvious that you're left throwing your hands up in confusion as to why this obvious means to an end hasn't been taken advantage of yet. Goku may be the main protagonist of the series but I feel that he alone wouldn't be enough to keep the series alive or at least as popular as it has been. Someone like Piccolo being given a widely useful technique like the Kaioken would demonstrate that the others haven't completely acquiesced to the paradigm we have right now with Goku and Vegeta.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:45 am

apex_pretador wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:48 am because goku feared that piccolo will become the main character.
Nice! I still think Piccolo would be the perfect candidate for the technique. If he can improve his stamina then it's likely his healing factor and the kaioken would synergize nicely.
KarinSSJ wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:42 pm In my opinion, in the original manga it's implicit that both Tenshinhan and Piccolo learned Kaioken from Kaio-Sama.

This also explains why Piccolo was stronger than Android 20 in the Androids Saga. And also Tenshinhan being capable of stopping Cell for a while and achieving the completely outstanding feature of repelling a blast from Super Buu (Gotenks absorbed) with Kikoho.
There's also that quote of Piccolo when he's fighting Gero of amplifying his energy in "bursts". This could simply refer to the ki control that fighters from Earth use to raise and lower their power levels such as what Goku and Piccolo displayed vs Raditz or this could refer to the amplification principles of the Kaioken. When I hear "amplification" and "burst" used in the same sentence, I think of Kaioken directly.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie

Post by blacksymbiote » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:35 am

Piccolo would have been too strong if he had kaioken. Imagine if he mastered it to 20x by the Buu saga while being roughly as strong as the SSJs. Buu wouldn't have been an issue.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:09 pm

blacksymbiote wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:35 am Piccolo would have been too strong if he had kaioken. Imagine if he mastered it to 20x by the Buu saga while being roughly as strong as the SSJs. Buu wouldn't have been an issue.
he can sure use it now with god levels of power
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:52 am

Because A.T. simply forgot about it or because it would've made Piccolo too relevant.

Why didn't Goku teach anyone the Instant Transmission?