So didn't Ginyu die for good when Buu blew up the Earth?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

So didn't Ginyu die for good when Buu blew up the Earth?

Post by precita » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:15 pm

I was just thinking about this. Ginyu lived on Earth as a frog and never died until Buu blew up the Earth. Yet when they brought everyone back to life, only the "good" people were revived by Buu. So wouldn't Captain Ginyu stay dead?

Doctor.
Banned

Re: So didn't Ginyu die for good when Buu blew up the Earth?

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:18 pm

There's no proof that Ginyu was sent to Earth. As far as we know, he died on Namek.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:40 pm

Doctor. wrote:There's no proof that Ginyu was sent to Earth. As far as we know, he died on Namek.
In the anime at least they show Ginyu frog on Earth. He's shown in Capsule corp while the Nameks are staying there. He's also on Yamcha's head when he gets wished back.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:54 pm

precita wrote:
Doctor. wrote:There's no proof that Ginyu was sent to Earth. As far as we know, he died on Namek.
In the anime at least they show Ginyu frog on Earth. He's shown in Capsule corp while the Nameks are staying there. He's also on Yamcha's head when he gets wished back.
That's filler content though. In the manga, the last we see of either state of Ginyu (the frog in Ginyu's body, and Ginyu in the frog's), was on Namek, so there's nothing shown suggesting he had survived that. Essentially it'd come down to whether or not Polunga considered him, in his frog state, as an individual when he granted Dende's wish to send everyone to Earth but Goku and Freeza. We don't see signs of any other Namekian wildlife being teleported there, so it seems that Polunga's wish was confined to "humanoid" life, or at least sentient life.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:16 pm

Ginyu's soul was in that frog, and as far as I can tell, he was sentient and could still process thoughts.

So yes, I believe Ginyu was transported to Earth. As for whether Ginyu died for good when Buu blew up the Earth, maybe. I don't like to think so because I'm a biased Ginyu fan, though. At that point, he was probably about as evil as Pilaf too.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:31 pm

The average lifespan of a frog is only around a decade so he probably died before the Buu arc even began.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:07 pm

NitroEX wrote:The average lifespan of a frog is only around a decade so he probably died before the Buu arc even began.
This was a space frog!
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:16 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
NitroEX wrote:The average lifespan of a frog is only around a decade so he probably died before the Buu arc even began.
This was a space frog!
Doesn't save him from being squashed.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:38 pm

In the manga, we don't see any animals from Namek on Earth, so he presumably died on Namek as a frog.

In the anime, we see that he was transfered to Earth, and ended up at Dr. Brief's collection of animals. In GT, he is already dead, as he escaped along with the other villains from Hell, and he even got his previous body back, somehow.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:23 pm

In the manga, it's possible that he could have died when Freeza blew up Namek or was teleported to Earth then died when Kid Buu blew up the Earth. The scenes of Ginyu as a frog where filler. I remember in GT, we saw a namek frog on Enma's desk. So in GT, the frog is still inside Ginyu's body while Enma probably kept Ginyu frog as a pet after death.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:25 pm

Did we see Captain Ginyu in GT? I haven't watched GT in like 10 years so I have no memory of this.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:41 pm

I was always under the impression that the frog in the "Gohan's Birthday" filler episode was Ginyu, exhausted after his lengthy search for Goku's house.

I suppose the question comes down to: was Ginyu an evil frog? The Filler that showed him at Capsule Corp made it seem like he was trying to take over that little ecosystem, after all. :P
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:42 pm

I remember Ginyu is quickly shown in GT when the villains are in line for Enma's judgement, but I don't remember the frog.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra