Do you think Vegeta had an abusive father?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Do you think Vegeta had an abusive father?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:45 pm

It just might explain his cold-hearted soldier mentally.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Do you think Vegeta had an abusive father?

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:27 pm

They're a race of warriors. Abuse has nothing to do with it. And King Vegeta doesn't seem the type.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:59 pm

The Saiyans are naturally ruthless. But there is one scene where King Vegeta gave advice to his son. He told that he comes from a strong bloodline and possess the power to be an absolute elite. Then he told his son to never forget where he's from, and to train very hard, and that one day he will have the power to become a Super Saiyan. So if that scene sheds any light, it would be that king Vegeta cared about his son and wanted him to be a powerful warrior.

Vegeta came from a royal family, of course he's going to be a prick.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:55 pm

Vegeta stated himself he was stronger than King Vegeta as a kid, so I doubt he'd dare do anything to piss him off.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:26 pm

Nah, I don't see King Vegeta being abusive. Strict and abrasive, yes, but not abusive.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:33 pm

Vegeta would probably kick his father's ass anyways.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:59 pm

He seemed pretty defensive of his father when Beerus was abusing him.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:59 pm

No, I think his father loved him as much as is possible for Saiyan culture and his rank within. I know some of the shots were anime-only, but they do show his father being proud of him. But then again, his dad was killed when he was like 5, so long term, his influence would not have been as great as someone like Freeza, who served a far more twisted adoptive guardian role to him.

I don't think Freeza abused Vegeta in a Tagoma-fashion, but there was definitely something condescending/patronizing/gaslighting going on where I think Vegeta would have detached a lot from forming meaningful social connections or developed very damaging patterns of interaction with people.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:17 pm

Vegeta is royal blood of significant potential. He was most likely pampered with ego, given to him by the king who prompted him up as a treasured figure.
I highly doubt this. Tarble on the other hand was just thrown out like Goku, there wouldn't be room for it.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:01 pm

I wonder if King Vegeta was like Tywin Lannister from Game of Thrones, treating Vegeta like Jaime, but treated Tarble like Tyrion?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

BoosterZabi

Post by BoosterZabi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:53 pm

No, I think he had an abusive step father named Freeza.

His ego definitely came from his dad and his sadistic side is likely the cause of Freeza. He was practically raised by Freeza since the age of five. I would love to see a short manga/anime series (6 episodes) that showed Vegeta's upbringing among Freeza.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:02 pm

If he did, he would have killed him. And from what we've seen in filler scenes, King Vegeta actually seems to like his son, it's Vegeta who hates him due to how weak he was.

If anyone physically abused Vegeta, it would be Freeza.