EMP vs androids

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanKingMike

EMP vs androids

Post by SaiyanKingMike » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:28 am

Would an EMP render 17 and 18 ineffective. Obviously the cybernetics made the human stronger and infinite energy core plus the bombs since its electrical. 16 and 19 would be destroyed instantly. Would 20 though? I dont think his brain would survive an EMP

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: EMP vs androids

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:26 am

You could assume that the device Bulma created and gave to Krillin is an EMP Device, so yeah, it would make them ineffective.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:29 am

FoolsGil wrote:You could assume that the device Bulma created and gave to Krillin is an EMP Device, so yeah, it would make them ineffective.
Does the TV remove emit an EMP when it commands the TV to shut down? Then why would we assume that the remote to shut down the androids emits an EMP?

As for the topic, the androids are almost fully biological and not all forms of tech are susceptible to EMPs. There is no guarantee that they would actually be affected by something like that, even regarding the fully mechanical androids.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:06 am

I would say, given that an EMP is likely the first weapon humanity would use against them, Gero would have likely either developed them in a way so that an EMP wouldn't affect them normally, or their vital systems that would be affected by an EMP are properly shielded. It would seem like a major design flaw to allow such an obvious weakness to be exploited.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:13 am

rereboy wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:You could assume that the device Bulma created and gave to Krillin is an EMP Device, so yeah, it would make them ineffective.
Does the TV remove emit an EMP when it commands the TV to shut down? Then why would we assume that the remote to shut down the androids emits an EMP?.
What you wake up and decide to be an asshole or something? Shut up.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:55 am

An EMP disables all electronic and the Androids source of power come from electronics, so yeah, the Android would be royally screwed against an EMP.

MisterGuyMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MisterGuyMan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:35 am

So I did some googling and I'd have to say no EMPs likely wouldn't affect the Androids. Apparently nuclear explosions create EMPs because their very large and very sudden explosions mess with the currents already in the air:
"The way you generate an EMP (or any interesting electromagnetic effect) is you get a bunch of charge and suddenly move it. A nuclear weapon on its own doesn’t have a bunch of extra charges to move around, but luckily (unluckily?) the Earth abides! Between about 40 and 300 miles above your head (about 39 and 299 miles for our Denver readers) there’s a layer of charged particles called the ionosphere. It’s created by radiation from space (mostly the Sun) knocking electrons free of their host atoms. A nuke releases enough heat, suddenly enough, that the resulting upward and outward “puff” of air literally moves the ionosphere overhead. That moving charge is what causes the bulk of the EMP. To a lesser extent, a nuclear device also ionizes the surrounding air, and then moves that." (http://www.askamathematician.com/2011/1 ... ic-pulses/)
If Z fighters are good at anything, it's making big explosions so from what I'm reading, they'd be making EMPs from any nuclear sized explosion.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:53 am

I don't think it would affect #17 and #18 very much. It would affect #16 and #19, since we are shown their innards and they are clearly metal. But I think all or most artificial components on #18 and #17 might have been organic/had a cellular structure so that Cell could absorb them. Otherwise, there would be random metal parts floating in Cell, which would be weird. Maybe that is what happened? :think:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:17 pm

irreality wrote:I don't think it would affect #17 and #18 very much. It would affect #16 and #19, since we are shown their innards and they are clearly metal. But I think all or most artificial components on #18 and #17 might have been organic/had a cellular structure so that Cell could absorb them. Otherwise, there would be random metal parts floating in Cell, which would be weird. Maybe that is what happened? :think:
Nothing about the Android human/metal amalgamation makes sense.Tthey are organic enough to be absorbed, but because of their batteries and bombs, they are apparently robotic enough that a device can be created to shut them down. A device that could give off a pulse that would make them inert.
MisterGuyMan wrote:So I did some googling and I'd have to say no EMPs likely wouldn't affect the Androids. Apparently nuclear explosions create EMPs because their very large and very sudden explosions mess with the currents already in the air:
"The way you generate an EMP (or any interesting electromagnetic effect) is you get a bunch of charge and suddenly move it. A nuclear weapon on its own doesn’t have a bunch of extra charges to move around, but luckily (unluckily?) the Earth abides! Between about 40 and 300 miles above your head (about 39 and 299 miles for our Denver readers) there’s a layer of charged particles called the ionosphere. It’s created by radiation from space (mostly the Sun) knocking electrons free of their host atoms. A nuke releases enough heat, suddenly enough, that the resulting upward and outward “puff” of air literally moves the ionosphere overhead. That moving charge is what causes the bulk of the EMP. To a lesser extent, a nuclear device also ionizes the surrounding air, and then moves that." (http://www.askamathematician.com/2011/1 ... ic-pulses/)
If Z fighters are good at anything, it's making big explosions so from what I'm reading, they'd be making EMPs from any nuclear sized explosion.
Those are good points. In Real Life. But Dragonball laughs at the face of physics, so I don't see logic as a valid point. 17 and 18 can be taken down by EMPs, they may be mainly organic, but can still be treated like a device if the plot requires them too.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:28 pm

I mean, we have stuff that is EMP-proof now. I'm pretty sure a mad scientist making evil robots to take over the world would put in safeguards against such an attack.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

MisterGuyMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MisterGuyMan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:13 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Those are good points. In Real Life. But Dragonball laughs at the face of physics, so I don't see logic as a valid point. 17 and 18 can be taken down by EMPs, they may be mainly organic, but can still be treated like a device if the plot requires them too.
Without any other evidence we're just left with what we have and must speculate accordingly. The plot didn't EMP at all so if we're just going to argue plot requirements then we might as well stop discussion altogether. Having said that the Androids destroyed all the militaries of the world in the alternate timeline so I highly doubt an EMP would shut them down cold.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:28 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
irreality wrote:I don't think it would affect #17 and #18 very much. It would affect #16 and #19, since we are shown their innards and they are clearly metal. But I think all or most artificial components on #18 and #17 might have been organic/had a cellular structure so that Cell could absorb them. Otherwise, there would be random metal parts floating in Cell, which would be weird. Maybe that is what happened? :think:
Nothing about the Android human/metal amalgamation makes sense.Tthey are organic enough to be absorbed, but because of their batteries and bombs, they are apparently robotic enough that a device can be created to shut them down. A device that could give off a pulse that would make them inert.
Bombs don't need electronic components, though -- explosive material is all chemical and the trigger can be the same. Nor do batteries, for that matter: energy could be stored in the chemical bonds instead of capacitors. #17 and #18 think they are more advanced than the models that are machine made. It makes sense if they are stepping stones to Cell's design.

The shut down device might be the only "electronic" device in them. And that might "fail on" rather than "fail off", so an EMP that disables it would make them unable to be shut off rather than shutting them off. Only a specific signal from the blueprints would turn them off.

Otherwise, I think Future Bulma would have come up with an EMP pulse to disable them if she can come up with a time machine.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:31 pm

I very much doubt the Z senshi could make EMP-like blows otherwise they would have long affected the equipment we see in the series.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:29 pm

FoolsGil wrote:What you wake up and decide to be an asshole or something? Shut up.
Whether it was provoked or not (and this was not, as far as I can tell), this type of response is completely uncalled for. Please don't do it again.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:28 am

FoolsGil wrote:
rereboy wrote:
Does the TV remove emit an EMP when it commands the TV to shut down? Then why would we assume that the remote to shut down the androids emits an EMP?.
What you wake up and decide to be an asshole or something? Shut up.
No, I noticed a flaw in your reasoning and I pointed it out to you as clearly as possible so that you would understand it. I didn't insult you at all, unlike you just did. Reflect upon yourself before lashing out on others.
Lord Beerus wrote:An EMP disables all electronic and the Androids source of power come from electronics, so yeah, the Android would be royally screwed against an EMP.
We don't have any idea what kind of tech they have besides the fact that it is tech.

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:40 pm

Highly doubt a EMP would work on the androids

TheBritWriter
Banned

Post by TheBritWriter » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:53 pm

EMP tends to get misused in writing and general thinking as much as 'Quantum speed'

EMP depends on the scale of the delivery (nuclear warheads give out EMP as one poster has quoted on) but not only are number of computers, military and civilian aircraft have EMP shielding of somesort but that Gero a scientist who has been studying goku and has seen countless vids tat documented the saiyans, king piccolo etc nuking cities would have taken into account anything that could threaten the androids. That the androids/cyborgs have no ki energy that can be detected shows that Gero does show that Gero took into consideration any factor that can give them an advantage.

Even giving the androids two generators, one in use and a backup that switches on once the other fails is a good way to counter an EMP or any power failure.

About the remote, wasn't it mean to activate the bomb inside the androids as opposed to a simple switch off?

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:01 pm

TheBritWriter wrote:
About the remote, wasn't it mean to activate the bomb inside the androids as opposed to a simple switch off?
No, it simply deactivated them. It was essentially the same kind of remote that Gero had used on #17 and #18 before, which #17 destroyed later when Gero was threatening to deactivate them again.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Pretty sure dr gero would have safe guarded himself and his androids against emp attacks.