Do you think Yamcha was bullied by his family?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Do you think Yamcha was bullied by his family?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:33 am

I've always attributed Yamcha's shyness towards women as a result of him bullied by his 4 older sisters and his mother (and that's also why he rebelled to become a desert bandit). His father was a deadbeat who left the family so he was no help.

It would also explain his wannabe-alpha male tendencies.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

precita
Banned

Re: Do you think Yamcha was bullied by his family?

Post by precita » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:54 am

Yamcha was probably an orphan.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:35 am

Honestly does anyone is this series have a family other than Bulma or Chi-Chi (and Goku too, I guess)? Not counting the ones they make themselves, of course.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:21 am

MajinMan wrote:Honestly does anyone is this series have a family other than Bulma or Chi-Chi (and Goku too, I guess)? Not counting the ones they make themselves, of course.
Dende has like 100 siblings :) But really I guess that depends on what you mean. Are you talking like we see their parents and siblings outside of flashbacks or do flashbacks and rare visits count? Because if we go by the later then you can come up with a decent amount.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:30 pm

MajinMan wrote:Honestly does anyone is this series have a family other than Bulma or Chi-Chi (and Goku too, I guess)? Not counting the ones they make themselves, of course.

Videl has her dad, same as Chichi, 18 has her brother, master roshi has his sister. I think that is it other than goku and bulmas families. Yamcha I always figured was an orphan, but it is krillin I'm most curious about. Maybe he is also an orphan and why he joined Orin temple so young.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:17 pm

irreality wrote:

Videl has her dad, same as Chichi, 18 has her brother, master roshi has his sister. I think that is it other than goku and bulmas families. Yamcha I always figured was an orphan, but it is krillin I'm most curious about. Maybe he is also an orphan and why he joined Orin temple so young.
There is also Upa under Karin's tower who lives with his father Bora. And Suno who has her mother(?).

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:41 pm

Hitiro wrote:
irreality wrote:

There is also Upa under Karin's tower who lives with his father Bora. And Suno who has her mother(?).
As well as Vegeta and his brother. Uub has a family, also. Same with Namu (at least in the anime.) Tao and Tsuru-Sennin are brothers, Roshi and Baba, the Kaio and Kaioshin are essentially siblings, etc.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:15 pm

I always assumed Yamcha had a mother due to him being a human and humans having to be born at some point, but I have never heard about him having 4 older sisters before. I thought he was an orphan.

How I'd love some of these other characters to have an explained back story.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:24 pm

TheZFighter wrote:I always assumed Yamcha had a mother due to him being a human and humans having to be born at some point, but I have never heard about him having 4 older sisters before. I thought he was an orphan.
We're not actually told much anything about Yamcha's past. The OP made up the concept of him having older sisters for the sake of a theory as to why he is the way he is around women, but he could just as likely have no siblings at all, given what we know of him.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:32 pm

The idea of his mother and sisters bullying him making him afraid of women doesn't make sense to me, though. He isn't afraid of Chichi, for example, who is too young, and probably wouldn't have been afraid of someone like Uranai Baba. He is just shy/scared around women he finds attractive, not scared of women in general.

Once he gets over that, he seems relatively normal in terms of women. I mean, girls do fawn over him sometimes in the anime, and he has at least one girlfriend after Bulma. Nothing suggests there is anything weird about his dating life. If anything, every other guy in the series is out of the ordinary by normal society norms, either a pervert, uninterested in women or marrying the first woman they seriously date.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:03 pm

Yamcha was bullied by everybody.

This is a guy that never made it past the Semi finals in tournaments despite his ability. And when he lost, it was embarassing, especially against Kami.

Then he beats a Saibaman but gets killed because of his overconfidence. Not only that, but the woman that he's been with for many years decided to leave him for a man who's partly responsible for his death in the first place, and there's absolutely nothing he can do about it.

What a disaster. Yamcha was always used as a whipping boy for Toriyama anytime a new foe appeared.

There's action figures of him lying dead on the ground after getting killed by a Saibaman for Pete's sake.

However, I'm sure Yamcha gets women. After being with Bulma, there's no way it can get that much worse in terms of overcoming his fears of women.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:30 pm

In the series Yamcha is constantly shown happy and smiling, especially in the Buu saga. Yamcha's life isn't miserable like you're making it out to be.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:42 am

I don't think Yamucha has a family (besides Pu'ar even then he's more of a pet).
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:31 pm

soppa saia people wrote:I don't think Yamucha has a family (besides Pu'ar even then he's more of a pet).
The desert was Yamcha's family. But even that got sick of him and kicked him out.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:23 am

precita wrote:In the series Yamcha is constantly shown happy and smiling, especially in the Buu saga. Yamcha's life isn't miserable like you're making it out to be.
He's putting on a brave face, to hide the pain inside. It happens.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:14 am

Saiga wrote:
precita wrote:In the series Yamcha is constantly shown happy and smiling, especially in the Buu saga. Yamcha's life isn't miserable like you're making it out to be.
He's putting on a brave face, to hide the pain inside. It happens.
Ouch. Clearly hitting a bit too close to home there.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:24 am

I still don't get why Yamcha didn't go back to playing baseball. He would be a millionaire. Gets a Homerun every hit and can catch every ball by flying to it.

Makes no sense.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:12 am

precita wrote:I still don't get why Yamcha didn't go back to playing baseball. He would be a millionaire. Gets a Homerun every hit and can catch every ball by flying to it.

Makes no sense.
It's likely a situation of him needing to suppress his strength down to keep things fair, otherwise the organization would likely ban him from playing. Even though his strength, speed, etc are all natural and aren't through the use of performance enhancing drugs, his team would have too much of an advantage over any other for it to be considered even remotely fair.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:16 am

There's no evidence he stopped playing baseball though.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:29 am

Kid Buu wrote:There's no evidence he stopped playing baseball though.
The Daizenshuu indicates that his work now is as a part-time bodyguard with Puar, and that he occasionally helps Tenshinhan and Chaozu with farming. No mention is ever made of him playing baseball after the timeframe of that episode.