Goku: luckier than he deserved at the 21st Budokai?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Goku: luckier than he deserved at the 21st Budokai?

Post by Thanos6 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:50 am

In all three of his fights, it seems like the rules bend a bit.

Against Giran, he's allowed the onetime use of Kin'toun when he uses it to stop himself from landing out of bounds.

Against Namu, after he gets hit by the Diving X/Holy Cross, Namu has to remind the Budokai Announcer (who I'm assuming is new to the job) to begin counting; Goku recovers just after nine. If the Announcer had started on time, I assume Goku would have lost.

The same thing happens against "Jackie Chun." He gets put to sleep by the lullaby attack and Kamesen'nin has to remind the Announcer start counting. Bulma wakes up Goku with "Dinner Time!" again just after nine. Again, presumably, he would have lost had the Budokai Announcer had the professionalism he demonstrated through the rest of the series.

...Or is it just me?

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:38 am

Yeah, the announcer did forget to count from time to time, but I think that's because he was to focused on the fight himself, like the audience was. Or something. :lol:

Anyhow, the Kinto Un wasn't allowed but Goku argued that Giran used bubble gum. So, that's why they allowed it for one time, but if he used it the second time Goku would've been disqualified.

So, I guess you could say that Goku is more the "lucky" type.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:12 am

Again, presumably, he would have lost had the Budokai Announcer had the professionalism he demonstrated through the rest of the series.
Professionalism? He also did nothing when Goku stole Roshi's glasses to protect his eyes from the Tayoken during a battle. That's even worse than using the Kintoun.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:33 am

Neon Z wrote:
Again, presumably, he would have lost had the Budokai Announcer had the professionalism he demonstrated through the rest of the series.
Professionalism? He also did nothing when Goku stole Roshi's glasses to protect his eyes from the Tayoken during a battle. That's even worse than using the Kintoun.
Oh, yeah! That would also be against the rules, wouldn't it? o.o I didn't even think of that.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:32 pm

Well, the Announcer didn't rule against it, nor did any of the monks at the temple...a bit odd, but...

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:45 pm

I think Goku is just abit of a show off and waited till 9 came up on purpose sometimes :lol: .
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:49 pm

o.o;; Wherever does it say in the rules that you can't use sunglasses? The Great Saiyaman sure was allowed to use them. No weapons and armour, sure. But sunglasses surely aren't either of those.

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:46 pm

Unless its used to neglet someones attack! Dun Dun Dun Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun....Sorry, couldn't resist.
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:58 pm

Well, I think there's a difference between bringing sunglasses with you and snatching them off a spectator...

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:17 pm

I'm not quite sure anyone who would argue against Goku's use of sunglasses knew where exactly he got them from. At least that's the impression I got watching the anime version of the fight.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co