Would Goku feel despair if everyone hated him?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Would Goku feel despair if everyone hated him?

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:42 pm

I mean, the concept is great. But I wouldn't trust Toei with that kind of story (nor Toriyama), they'd probably just make Goku beat up the bad guy without trying to better himself.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:57 pm

Doctor. wrote:I mean, the concept is great. But I wouldn't trust Toei with that kind of story (nor Toriyama), they'd probably just make Goku beat up the bad guy without trying to better himself.
Who wrote the Trunks and Bardock specials? Couldn't he be asked to do it?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:03 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I mean, the concept is great. But I wouldn't trust Toei with that kind of story (nor Toriyama), they'd probably just make Goku beat up the bad guy without trying to better himself.
Who wrote the Trunks and Bardock specials? Couldn't he be asked to do it?
The Bardock special was written by Takao Koyama (who also wrote the original 13 Dragon Ball Z films) and Katsuyuki Sumisawa. Seemed like the Bardock special was just a fluke, to be honest, unless this Sumisawa person had a big role in the script. As for the Trunks special, no idea, but it was already based off of the manga chapter.

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:25 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:A part of me wants to say yes but given how little regard he has for anyone else when they're not in-danger or useful to him somehow, I don't imagine this bothering him as long as he could still do what he wanted.
Yep, that's pretty much it. He won't be bothered that much unless he legitimately can't train (i.e being paralysed or something) but words or everyone hating him won't change him much, even if it affects him. That's just the character.

This reminds me not too long ago someone I know said Goku is totally not a great character because he likes training/fighting and is too happy so no matter what he's only a child who likes training so no matter what the only way he'd be great is if he stops training and gets tortured (Because that's the only way to become a man for some reason) and becomes useless. :eh: Short story short, he said Goku would actually care if someone belittled Goku's training to the point that he'd actually stop training. What do you guys think of that?
Last edited by TheUltimateVegito on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:08 pm

TheUltimateVegito wrote:Yep, that's pretty much it. He won't be bothered that much unless he legitimately can't train (i.e being paralysed or something) but words or everyone hating him won't change him much, even if it affects him. That's just the character.
I'm sure it'd change him. Maybe not in a drastic way like making him depressed or whatever, but I'm sure he'd be sad and maybe try to find a way to make them all happy, like moving away from his home or just stop talking to them.

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:27 pm

Doctor. wrote:
TheUltimateVegito wrote:Yep, that's pretty much it. He won't be bothered that much unless he legitimately can't train (i.e being paralysed or something) but words or everyone hating him won't change him much, even if it affects him. That's just the character.
I'm sure it'd change him. Maybe not in a drastic way like making him depressed or whatever, but I'm sure he'd be sad and maybe try to find a way to make them all happy, like moving away from his home or just stop talking to them.
Yeah, it'd definitely be something that'd weigh on him forever. I meant if it would affect him to the point that he'd be depressed/stops training. I always imagined that he'd just give up trying to change them after awhile if it's confirmed that he can't change them back.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

yamu

Post by yamu » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:22 am

I don't know if Goku would feel despair specifically. But as someone who gains a lot of motivation from his friends and loved ones, he probably wouldn't be half the fighter that we came to know him as. He might have ended up like Turles, to be honest. That, and bumping his head of course.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:11 pm

I have a hard time imagining any turn of events where everyone *hated* Goku and Goku was still Goku and everyone else was still everyone else.

if Goku turned evil, it was either: a) a coerced spell/transformation, which would make his friends sad, eager to help him, or confused, but I can't imagine they would suddenly hate him. I mean, Vegeta is *way* more evil and far less liked but people still didn't suddenly hate him after the Majin episode (ok, Kaioshin was pretty miffed...). Or B) Goku fins some hidden depths within himself that makes him want to be evil and a jerk…. which sounds like it isn't Goku anymore. Who is this stranger and what did they do with my Goku? Still, I think his family and friends would mostly be confused and sad.

Alternatively, Goku wouldn't change but everyone else hated him, either because of: a) a spell/possession, ala Baby: He'd be gung-ho in fixing the problem and fighting, but wouldn't despair. or b) everyone was suddenly a jerk on opposite day and hated him -- he'd probably despair, then, but, who are these crazy people, anyway? Goku is pretty likeable in-universe, even when he is being inconsiderate, because he is always well intentioned. Find it hard to believe everyone he knows would suddenly hate him for no reason.