What would YOU do to make these characters relevant?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Netter75

What would YOU do to make these characters relevant?

Post by Netter75 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi, I've been a long time guest in these forums and only just registered, so this is my first topic.

Many fans have mooed about how fighting characters like Tien, Yamcha, Roshi, Yajirobe and Chiaotzu lost their significance to the plot after the first arc of DBZ, while other supporting characters like Launch, Puar, and Oolong relinquished their non-fighting capacity well before that. My questions is how would YOU write a plot to make these now-background characters relevant again? The story has evolved a long way since their prime, with Super Saiyan Gods and deities now being the primary focus, so can any room be carved?

The easiest way to implement them would probably be to have the A-tier characters be off fighting somewhere else while a new threat invades the earth. With shape-shifting, psychic mime powers, brute strength, samurai swords, and sneezing galore, it might make an interesting sub-arc.

Your thoughts?
Working on AMVs for every major Dragon Ball character from Piccolo to Puar :crazy:
Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8PEvVt1fQW

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Re: What would YOU do to make these characters relevant?

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:11 pm

First off, I would discard Yajirobe entirely. As far as I'm concerned he's a gag character who's long since stopped being funny.

The Muten Rōshi should remain retired from fighting, but it would be great to see him return to a mentor role to the next generation (that is if Goku and Vegeta ever relinquish the spotlight for a few minutes). Maybe like Kaiô-sama he can't actually use all of the techniques, but he knows enough about them to be able to teach them to exceptionally talented students.

As for Yamcha, Kuririn, Tenshinhan and Chaozu, the best way to make them relevant the story again is to give them techniques and abilities, that while may not put them on-par with a Super Saiyan Whatever, would make them relevant again.

Maybe Yamcha discovers that the Kaiô-Ken doesn't place as much strain on a human body as it does a Saiyan (or that just he himself is naturally gifted in using it), allowing him to abuse the crap out of his own super version of that technique without risk to his life and health. Maybe the downside is that he can only keep that up for a few minutes at a time like Super Saiyan 3, making it more of a desperation move than anything practical.

Tenshinhan should be a master of several highly destructive energy techniques, allowing him to be a threat even against fighters like Super Saiyan Blue Goku or Golden Freeza. The drawback is that he's a glass-cannon, and that actually getting hit by an opponent at that level is still going to be catastrophic, meaning he would probably need help from his buddy...

Chaozu. Still physically weak and vunerable, but offset by having enormous magical powers like Babidi. Allow him to support Tenshinhan and friends from the back row while undermining enemies.

Kuririn... I could see him having his strength "drawn out far past its limits" by the elder Kaiôshin; that alone wouldn't bring him up anywhere near Goku or Vegeta, but then like Tenshinhan it could make his Kamehameha and Kienzan attacks more deadly.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:13 pm

Roshi and Oolong should stay retired and sort of in the grey in my opinion, because they along with Bulma/Chi-Chi really play well off one another well for comic relief.

Yamcha should interfere with Gohan's training with Piccolo and as for training as well, which should lead to him developing a technique similar to Kaio-Ken.

Tien, I think we are missing a big opportunity here to explore what was never explored! That 3rd eye and his alien heritage could really be the come back for him... I'd probably have a threat that was released by someone (Similar to Babidi releasing Buu) and give the enemy some kind of "healing ability" which means no matter how much Goku and Vegeta beat him down, he'd just heal and get back up, even from their strongest attacks. I think it'd be neat if Tiens alien ancestors where the ones that sealed this new threat away eons ago and he is the only way of capable of sealing him away again. The Kai's help him unlock the power of that 3rd eye (new form) and after Goku/Vegeta beat the threat down, before he heals, Tien seals him away while hes weak.

Piccolo, I'd give the Namek Book of Legends treatment for his power up similar to Maliks DBNA.

Krillin, I'd sort of steal a bit from Herms theory of the God forms and I'd have him sort of create a short time technique similar to Kaio-Ken using the methods of the spirt-bomb but gathering the energy in his body instead. I'd keep his appearance the same, but I'd give him blue eyes and a different aura so one could tell the difference. I'd probably bump him up between SSJ2-3 tier level and it'd only last a few minutes before he tires out. Also his form gets stronger as in the first one, he gathers energy from people then maybe the 2nd one from planet earth, and the 3rd the universe or something. I guess you could call the forms Super Krillin 1, 2, and 3? Genki Krillin, Genki Denki Kuririn, or Denki Krillin? This would all be based of Herms theory just tweaked for Krillin's use simply because if Humans are too weak, why not use the energy of others to make themselves stronger?

As for the rest I'd keep them where they are since Gohan is already on his way back up.. Yajarobe should also be in that category with Roshi and Oolong. Trunks and Goten are still kids so they are still going to be goof balls. Majin Buu is good where he's at.

We all know they will never catch up power wise to Goku and Vegeta but I think there could be other things than power to make them useful again, like my idea of Tien's sealing abilities. Unfortunately after I believe the Cell Arc, power is all that matters, we won't ever see Yajarobe having a strategy and cutting off someones tail again.

As far as power goes at the very most the cast could become equivalent to SSJ2 and just maybe a little further but not beyond SSJ3, excluding Gohan of course from this group as he will probably gain SSJB. I do agree they should make the entire cast fight underlings to at least make an attempt to feel useful again, but they handled Freizas army like it was nothing so it's probably going to be the one-on-one show now with Goku vs the big bad boss.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:35 am

What could have been interesting would be episodes or story arcs where fighting isn't the main focus, and everyone can just hang out or something. For example, Yamcha decides to teach everyone how to play some baseball, and it becomes a hilarious high speed baseball shonen for a few episodes. That would be fun to watch.

Or, allow the characters to create the techniques instead of some unseen alien force teaching Goku. How much more respected Chaozu would have been if he created Instant Transmission, and taught it to a couple people including Goku, for example?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:06 pm

Roshi - Stays retired, but develops new techniques and trains other Z Fighters.

Piccolo - Discovers the secret of God Ki, teaches everyone how to use it. Then powers up himself thanks to the Namekian Book of Legends who teaches him magic powers only Namekian Warriors have access to.

Yamcha - Retires because he is shit.

Chiaotzu - Learns powerful psychic techniques like the ones Guldo used. Can stop time for he and his mates for few seconds.

Krillin - Mixes God Ki with Kaioken (up to 30x) and uses KK in short burst only when he hits or gets hitted. Gets his potential fully unlocked by Elder Kai.

Tenshinan - Uses God Ki and masters his Neo Tri-Beam to reduce damage to his body. Gets his potential fully unlocked by Elder Kai.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:10 pm

I'd just do what Dragon Ball Online did.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I'd just do what Dragon Ball Online did.
Yeah, that would be cool.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:03 pm

Super has such a large cast of so many irrelevant and long forgotten characters it makes me sad.

It makes me want to re-watch their glory days, its the Goku and Vegeta show now.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:21 am

I think character like Ten and Yamcha are done,they should focus more on the new characters like Jaco,Champa,Monaka and the Universe 6 guys.
omaro34 wrote:Super has such a large cast of so many irrelevant and long forgotten characters it makes me sad.

It makes me want to re-watch their glory days, its the Goku and Vegeta show now.
People like Yamcha,Chaozu,Tenshinhan,Roshi have never been relevant in Z.Roshi in ROF is way more relevant than he ever was in Z who does nothing but being a pervert.Bulma,Jaco,Gohan etc.. have been relevant in Super.You don't have to be a God Tier to be relevant in the story.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:54 am

Goten and Trunks: Have them age into Teenagers so that they're less childish. Also, have Roshi take a mentor like role for them, to give him more screen time

Piccolo: Namekian Book of Legends baby. All the way home

Gohan: Have him use scientific knowledge to bolster his attacks, make him less of a punchy kicky guy

Tien and Krillin: Training with Whis

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:52 am

This would only ever happen in an era after Goku and Vegeta leave Earth and have their final battle.

Every martial arts master has some new insight into how to control one's own ki. Gohan's ever growing knowledge of the exact science behind such feats ought to eventually allow him to become a sort of ki control master all his own. In turn, he can increase his own power and diversity his abilities in new and interesting ways. Consequently, he can provide a new form of training for other characters. He becomes a martial arts master, crucial to the training of a new generation of masters and students. Videl trains under Gohan to get stronger, and dedicates herself to directly guarding Satan City as the Great Saiyaman #2. Training closely with her parents, Pan is able to become a Super Saiyan. Using Bulma's smarts, Bra is able to easily understand Gohan's theories; using Vegeta's Saiyan ambition, she is able to take advantage of them; like Pan, she'll be a Super Saiyan. Uub likewise keeps up in power as a result of these new forms of training.

Goten and Trunks start applying Gohan's theories to swordsmanship, and create a new martial arts school. Gyumao and Yajorobe take a hint from Goten and Trunks in an attempt to further hone their weapon-based combat skills; introduce some super powerful ancient melee weapons that only characters with their level of armed mastery could efficiently wield; Gyumao gets a battle axe and Yajirobe can have a katana.

Krillin and Tenshinhan train with this newfound insight in mind and create a New Turtle and New Crane school; Tenshinhan masters the Kaioken. #18 can either train with Krillin, or find some stashed bio-mechanical upgrades in one of Gero's hideouts. Training closely with Tenshinhan, Chaozu is able to greatly improve his psychic abilities; he and Yamcha master the Kaioken. Oolong and Puar can train under Tenshinhan to learn new ways to shapeshift; then they'll be able to transform into plot-advancing objects.

I'll be totally original and give Piccolo the Namekian Book of Legends. Let Kame Sennin drop some otherwise unknown knowledge of the martial arts world of old on the other characters to advance the plot. During her decades in obscurity, Lunch has been amassing an incredible arsenal and team of mercenaries; they could be useful for military tactical reasons.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:43 am

There is sadly nothing that will make those characters relevant ever again. The fact that even now Trunks and Goten have no point anymore but comic relief says a lot in itself.

Darkton
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Darkton » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:47 am

I'll try and make this quick, yet thorough.

Yamcha seemed to me like he was more one to use cunning, especially in the First Dragon Balls Arc. He also seems to favor physical techniques like swordplay and his Ryouga Fufuuken. As such, I'd probably have him develop some more techniques that emphasize the physical.

Tenshinhan is deeply rooted in Buddhist mythology, so I'd give him some things that reflect that. Perhaps some kind of awakened/enlightened form similar to Super Saiyan but with an emphasis on calmness.

Chaozu got a bad rap from the start. He needs some serious power increases and some actual victories. Once that's done, he could stand to learn some cool mental powers and unique skills.

Puar and Oolong can be gag relief. In an era dominated by combat, they don't seem to have much use. The only way I can think to make them relevant is to put them in an adventure-style story.

Muten Roshi makes a great teacher. He's bowed out from combat, but he can still be around to teach, say Goten and Trunks the essentials of martial arts like he did Kuririn and Goku.

Piccolo just needs some kind of powerup. Gohan can go with relearning in this era of combat.

Kuririn seems pretty good so far. He needs a major role in an arc, that's all.

Videl should keep up with her training. I certainly hope she doesn't end up like Chi-Chi and Bulma to become a Saiyan factory.

18 needs to enter combat more, fighting alongside Kuririn.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:49 pm

Maybe have an arc where the Saiyans aren't around (training with Whis, visiting the U6 Saiyans, visiting Monaka's planet, etc.) and have some threat come to Earth that the other characters have to deal with themselves. Or go into the stuff from Dragon Ball Online: Gohan uses his scientific knowledge to study the inner workings of Ki, Kuririn and Tenshinhan go and rebuild the Turtle and Crane schools, respectively. Chaozu was a waste of a character from his introduction and the ship has long sailed on him being a relevant character, so he is still Tenshinhan's little buddy. Yamcha should stay retired and maybe finally get married or something. Muten Roshi should likewise stay retired, but maybe offer words of wisdom on occasion.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)