Cell Juniors in episode 185

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Cell Juniors in episode 185

Post by Adnan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:40 am

Has anyone else noticed that although there are supposed to be 7 cell juniors, 8 get destroyed by Gohan?

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:43 am

You mean 8 in the anime, and 7 in the manga? Yeah, sure (only because Mike and Julian discussed it in the podcast). I suppose that the animators just wanted to make it look more gruesome.
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:45 am

Well there were 7 in the anime too, until episode 185 that is.

JAKEMAN
Beyond Newbie

Post by JAKEMAN » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:54 am

What I think about it is that the animators thought of an extra way of Gohan killing the Cell Jrs
Remember these things I tell you
*Dragonball GT: The GT Stands for Good Tunes
DS Friend Code

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:06 am

This is one of Toei's most famous mistakes! The magical 8th Cell Junior that came from no where...

I don't think it was a case of "we wanna include this "gruesome death" too!" because the deaths in the Anime are pretty mild. If you compare to the Manga chapter...haha. It's probably because they dragged out the episode so much that they lost track and didn't bother back-checking.

Most people never really noticed anyway...I didn't until I heard about and counted them out as they died. I like to show this to my non-DBZ fan friends for a good laugh every now and then.

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:39 pm

I think they just made a mistake counting. I've known about this for a while, not because I figured it out myself: I probably found it out online or something. :lol:
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:28 pm

I think I found out about the 8 Cell Jrs in the Beckett DBZ magazine (when it was still good). Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it was just a miscount thing. Someone should post all 8 of the Cell Jr deaths via episode screencaps.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:47 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Someone should post all 8 of the Cell Jr deaths via episode screencaps.
OK.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image

Some of them are weird, because his very touch causes an explosion on them. Also, since the colors go all weird and darkish-blue when he kills, the images come out weird looking :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:14 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Some of them are weird, because his very touch causes an explosion on them. Also, since the colors go all weird and darkish-blue when he kills, the images come out weird looking :P.
Yeah, I kinda liked the manga version better.
And they did the same thing with the blue-ey tinge when Gohan kills Bojack in Movie 9.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Mon May 01, 2006 8:53 am

I've only seen the sequence once before, but is it possible that they simply show one of the Cell Juniors being killed from a different angle? I.e. six deaths from one point of view and one death from two points of view?

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Mon May 01, 2006 11:12 am

I haven't seen the actual episode, but screens #5 and 6 from Vegetto EX's post do seem to support your theory.
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Mon May 01, 2006 1:11 pm

ngnikolaos wrote:I haven't seen the actual episode, but screens #5 and 6 from Vegetto EX's post do seem to support your theory.
No. Screencap #5 and #6 are clearly two different kills if you watch it in the actual episode. In #5 he kills a Cell Junior who's standing on the ground and #6 was a Cell Junior who was in the air.

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Tue May 02, 2006 4:44 pm

I guess Cell had a backup...?

I guess everyone has noticed but it's always bothered me that Gohan's eyes change after his Mystic Powerup...

I think it makes him ugly... especially when the crap animators are used.
Just remember, everytime something bad is happening to you. Something even worse is happening to someone else.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Tue May 02, 2006 4:46 pm

The answer is that when Gohan turned SSj2, Cell was so scared he shat out another Cell Jr.

That is all!

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue May 02, 2006 6:11 pm

Panda wrote:I guess everyone has noticed but it's always bothered me that Gohan's eyes change after his Mystic Powerup...

I think it makes him ugly... especially when the crap animators are used.
I would disagree; with his eyes drawn like that he looks like he's finally "grown up", the Gohan who doesn't need his friends to be all half dead before he can finally fight seriously.

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Tue May 02, 2006 8:03 pm

I'll admit that it bothered me somewhat at first because it seemed to me the whole style was getting way too boxy, but I learned to like it after a while. It really shows how deeply the powerup affected him.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Tue May 09, 2006 6:47 pm

Heh, speaking of this, I remember in the Doomrider AMV, the bit with the Cell Jrs showed each being killed with a number in the lower right corner going like this:

"1"
"2"
"3"
"4"
"5"
"6"
"7"
"8 ?"

I thought it was hilarious when that question mark popped up. :P
I also go by "veemonjosh".

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 09, 2006 7:07 pm

I could have sworn I had that number eight screen from the video uploaded somewhere, but I couldn't find it :). Too lazy to make it, again...
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kirkywirky

Post by kirkywirky » Tue May 09, 2006 7:52 pm

The anime may have shown 8 Cell Jr. Deaths. But if you look at Screencap #1, it was not the darkish-blue type. And I didn't think the Cell Jr. exploded (please correct me if I'm wrong). So that may mean that since 'it' is Cell's offspring, it may have inherited Piccolo's cell of regenerating too. Maybe off-screen, he regenerated back his head. So that being said, the Cell Jr. in Screen #1 might be one of the remaining seven.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 09, 2006 8:27 pm

There's really no debating it. There's eight killed in the episode. Unless you're actually watching the episode and scenes in context, you can't infer enough from the screen caps I listed above.