Vegeta's fear of Broly and Beerus

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Vegeta's fear of Broly and Beerus

Post by Doctor. » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:15 am

Am I the only one who thinks Vegeta is out-of-character when he's afraid of Broly in M8 but has no problem with him being afraid of Beerus? Most people I find either think he's out-of-character in both instances or are fine with both occasions.

I think the concept of Vegeta being scared by a stronger opponent is great for the character's potential development, but the key here is the execution. In M8 it was very sloppily done. Vegeta was so adamant about fighting the LSS at the start of the film, but the moment Broly transforms, he's immediately scared without any proper reason to. While in BoG, we had time to set-up Vegeta's potential fear of Beerus by giving him a childhood trauma and alerting him that Beerus defeated SS3 Goku. Plus, M8 is Cell arc Vegeta, a much more arrogant and cocky Vegeta compared to the more mature one in BoG who can admit when someone's stronger than him.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Vegeta's fear of Broly and Beerus

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:44 am

The writers just wanted him out of the picture but they couldn't find a better way to do it which is why I'm so happy Toriyama is writing Super cause that's how Toie would probably handle him throughout the story if it was up to them.

His fear of Freeza on Namek was also handled well because he was the strongest of the group and did everything he could against Freeza, unlike with Broly where he didn't even try.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:27 am

Doctor. wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Vegeta is out-of-character when he's afraid of Broly in M8 but has no problem with him being afraid of Beerus? Most people I find either think he's out-of-character in both instances or are fine with both occasions.

I think the concept of Vegeta being scared by a stronger opponent is great for the character's potential development, but the key here is the execution. In M8 it was very sloppily done. Vegeta was so adamant about fighting the LSS at the start of the film, but the moment Broly transforms, he's immediately scared without any proper reason to. While in BoG, we had time to set-up Vegeta's potential fear of Beerus by giving him a childhood trauma and alerting him that Beerus defeated SS3 Goku. Plus, M8 is Cell arc Vegeta, a much more arrogant and cocky Vegeta compared to the more mature one in BoG who can admit when someone's stronger than him.
Oh agreed. Plus with Beerus at least he tried to fight when he know that was his only option. With Broly he just stood there crying and saying, "Ermagerd, he to streng! Just give up now," Which I find extremely out of character and actually kinda insulting.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:39 am

Err, Vegeta did try to oppose Broly, but then Broly just tanked it like a boss, before powering up to his Ultra Bulky form completely destroying Vegeta's spirit.
It's not so different from his reactions against Freeza(not just Final Form, but starting as soon, as Freeza transforms for the first time) and I don't see that as an out of character moment either.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:48 am

Actually I think Vegeta is totally in-character to be afraid of (Freeza,) Broly and Beerus. Those are the guys he knows of as badass. Even someone like him breaks. Like when he cried multiple times.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:37 pm

Honestly, I never really saw it as all that different from other times when he would break and realize that he wasn't the toughest person around after all. The only real difference is that in those cases, he already knew that his usual breaking tactic of 'RAGE, PURE RAGE, I'm'A BLAST EVERYTHING' wasn't going to work either because he'd already tried that and it tanked, or he could tell they were just that much stronger than him. It's a big part of why I normally couldn't stand his character (outside of some fun parts on Namek) before recent material finally started to show his newer post-Boo mentality better.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Vynak
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vynak » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:50 pm

Cetra wrote:Actually I think Vegeta is totally in-character to be afraid of (Freeza,) Broly and Beerus. Those are the guys he knows of as badass. Even someone like him breaks. Like when he cried multiple times.
I could be remembering wrong, but I believe the only (canon) moment he cries was on Namek.

Anyway, I found Vegeta's portrayal in the Broly movie to be insulting and way out of character. It's one of the main reasons I hate the movie. This is Cell arc Vegeta where he had just recently unlocked SSJ and was overly confident and looking to prove himself. If anything, he should be acting as he did against Cell. Instead they have him acting like a coward, too scared to fight. What happened to his pride, one of his most defining traits? I mean come on, Piccolo has to forcefully drag him to the battlefield by the hair... He's barely recognizable as Vegeta and I wish they hadn't even included him in the movie if they didn't know how to write him properly.

The situation with Beerus was handled realistically in light of his character development in the Buu saga. Beerus is obviously way out of Vegeta's league and is temperamental and fickle. Vegeta now has to consider how his actions will affect his loved ones and act accordingly. So he chooses a more diplomatic route (at the cost of his pride) until the provocation is just too much to handle.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:05 pm

I agree with the OP here.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:18 pm

Vynak wrote:
Cetra wrote:Actually I think Vegeta is totally in-character to be afraid of (Freeza,) Broly and Beerus. Those are the guys he knows of as badass. Even someone like him breaks. Like when he cried multiple times.
I could be remembering wrong, but I believe the only (canon) moment he cries was on Namek.
He cries twice on Namek and there is no canonicity.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:40 pm

He should be afraid of 10x Kaioken SSGSS Goku

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:49 pm

I'm ... not going to venture to defend the characterizations in any of the movies. His portrayal in Movie 8 is about as consistent with his portrayal in the series as Goku caring deeply about wildlife is.

That said, it makes a certain amount of sense that Vegeta, at least before his transformation into a true martial-arts protagonist in the new material, would be the first to mentally shut down in the face of insurmountable opponents. He's a character for whom strength is everything, reared on Freeza's Power Level system, and unlike Goku, for most of the series he takes joy in being on top, rather than in being challenged.

It's also a sort of forgivable convenience that he's the one Toei taps to show the ferocity of characters like Brolli or Beerus, as he's the only member of the cast with that temperament in addition to knowledge of the cosmos. Vegeta can know characters by reputation or legend no one else in the series can, because he spent thirty years space-pirating his way across the galaxy.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:03 pm

Exactly, Vegeta had the same reaction to Frieza and his power so it's literally the same thing and already shown to be part of his character. What wouldn't be is Broly saying bow down and lick my boot and Vegeta obeys. Vegeta would rather die with his pride then subcome to an enemy in any undignified manner.
Which is why I can't get with Vegeta being Beerus b*tch even after the injustices Beerus had done to his family. So I think that's out of character.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:12 pm

Vegeta isn't acting on his own behalf as he had selfishly done in the past. He's being mindful of protecting his family. It isn't until Beeeus is determined to punish everyone where he decides to go down fighting. I don't see the problem in seeing that side of him as a testament of his growth. Boo arc Vegeta would have started Beerus' rampage himself, in comparison.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Nejishiki wrote:Vegeta isn't acting on his own behalf as he had selfishly done in the past. He's being mindful of protecting his family. It isn't until Beeeus is determined to punish everyone where he decides to go down fighting. I don't see the problem in seeing that side of him as a testament of his growth. Boo arc Vegeta would have started Beerus' rampage himself, in comparison.
So why doesn't Goku get the same darn character development??? Like seriously he didn't want to fight Raditz at all in the beginning DBZ and told him to just leave him alone. Then against King Kais warning Goku fight Frieza and Frieza survived and comes to earth. Still not learning his lesson he gives cell a sensui bean and he's the entire reason Beerus ended up interested in earth to begin with. I just find it interesting that we can call Vegeta's embarrassment of himself character development while Goku doesn't seem to have learned and darn thing and actually regressed.

If Vegeta is to the point in his character development where he is willing to training with Goku, change dirty bedsheets, wear pink aprons, and be used as a human footstool I would think the least hi would do is ask Goku to show him a few fighting techniques in their 3 years in the RoSaT and Goku wouldn't be still such and ass where he keeps instant transmission and Kaioken X 10 SSB from him..

Vynak
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vynak » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:42 pm

TheMikado wrote: If Vegeta is to the point in his character development where he is willing to training with Goku, change dirty bedsheets, wear pink aprons, and be used as a human footstool I would think the least hi would do is ask Goku to show him a few fighting techniques in their 3 years in the RoSaT and Goku wouldn't be still such and ass where he keeps instant transmission and Kaioken X 10 SSB from him..
Pretty sure Vegeta has no desire to learn/copy Goku's techniques. Which is a good thing. He's training with Goku and doing the other crap mentioned because it's a requirement in order to be mentored by Whis.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:10 pm

Haha, you're asking me questions reliant on the production side of things. I merely examine the characters as they're presented. Perhaps death has made Goku jaded? Not a thing in the universe can make him take anything seriously when he knows that without a doubt he will always exist as himself! It's probably why he goes out and has a final fight with Vegeta before he exits his fighting prime. He will still have a fighting body ready.

To Goku, Raditz is just a jerk who is causing trouble and is directly threatening his friends, his planet, and then his child. You can't blame him for being apprehensive with such an unpleasant man who claims to be his brother. I wouldn't want anything to do with him either! I will note that once he's aware of his alien origins, he is more true to that side of himself, selfishly picking fights with strong beings at the chance of bettering his own skills at every first opportunity, starting with Vegeta.

Consistently, however, it isn't until his life or others are threatened, when "Saiyan" Goku drops the rules to his game as shown with, again, Vegeta, Freeza, Cell, and Pure Boo. So in a way, he can be blissfully nonchalant until things go too far. It's your right to look down upon him for that, but it makes things interesting doesn't it? Most people in real life never learn their lessons, vowing to change after every misfortune. Our protagonist is a junkie for fighting and getting stronger only makes it worse. For myself, it sheds a little complexity on the growth of Goku's obsession that nobody can seemingly help him with nor is he ever satisfied with whatever milestones he continues to reach. Should we blame Roshi for "motivating" this mindset? Does he plan to make Oob walk the same path? Another discussion I think, but while Goku is pure, he isn't exactly a role model and it fascinates me that he doesn't try to be.

As for Vegeta's relationship with Goku, he's yet to be that comfortable with him, but he's making progress! He actually trained with him, which would be unheard of in prior arcs. Maybe he'll get to the point of asking Goku for pointers in the future? Goku did managed to inspire him to strengthen himself for purer intentions which comes full circle in both Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, so all hope isn't lost.