Is teleportation as fast as light in the anime?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Is teleportation as fast as light in the anime?

Post by flashback0180 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:25 pm

In the original Japanese anime was instant transmission stated to be fast as light or was this the english dub mis translation ?

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Re: Is instant transmission as fast as light in the anime ?

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:30 pm

It's only in the Funimation dub that it's said to be the speed of light.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:10 pm

flashback0180 wrote:In the original Japanese anime was instant transmission stated to be fast as light or was this the english dub mis translation ?
Instant Transmission is exactly what it says it is...instant. The English dub is wrong.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:19 pm

flashback0180 wrote:In the original Japanese anime was instant transmission stated to be fast as light or was this the english dub mis translation ?
Instant transmission is teleportation, not travel. It's instant. The dub is wrong.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:34 am

rereboy wrote:
Instant transmission is teleportation, not travel. It's instant. The dub is wrong.
This is what I tried to say but some people kept arguing there was always a certain delay before disappearance and reappearance.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:28 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
rereboy wrote:
This is what I tried to say but some people kept arguing there was always a certain delay before disappearance and reappearance.
Well, there could be, but even if there was the delay wouldn't really change depending on the distance between the two points.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:35 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
rereboy wrote:
I would think it more like the de-materialisation and re-materialisation aren't instant but getting from one point to the next happens instantly. It should be clear that it is faster than light anyway. Otherwise Goku would be dead from old age by the time he reaches it.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:44 am

So whether he's teleporting across the room or across the universe, it always takes the same amount of time, but there is a delay. I guess that makes sense.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:29 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:So whether he's teleporting across the room or across the universe, it always takes the same amount of time, but there is a delay. I guess that makes sense.
Well, there's the fact that he also has to scan for the Ki too. So it may not take the same amount of time. I guess it depends on how far he can sense without an aid. Like someone with a massive power, powering up. Or being pointed in the right direction, i.e. Kaio.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:49 am

There is delay only because you want there to be one.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:50 am

I think the delay is more of an animation-thing than having anything to do with how the technique works. Kinda like how people in movies and on TV will react to something before it actually happens.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)