Calendar Dates In The Manga

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Calendar Dates In The Manga

Post by MagicBox » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:53 pm

Howdy, everyone! I've got a quick question for all the timeline nuts out there.

I'm browsing through Herms' "The History Of Ever" guide in hopes of finding a list of calendar dates that are confirmed within the manga itself. Basically, I'm looking for dates that are outright stated by either the characters or the narrator.

So far, I've got...

May 7th: The date on which the Tenkaichi Budōkai is always held.

May 9th: The date on which Piccolo Daimaō announces that he has taken over (as well as Japan's official "Gokū Day" out-of-universe).

May 12th: The date on which the Artificial Humans attack near South City.

Am I missing anything? It's entirely possible that I skimmed past something in the guide. Again, I'm only looking for dates that are specifically confirmed in the manga. I'm not interested in anything that's inferred within the guide books. For example, the Daizenshū state that Piccolo Daimaō regains his youth on May 8th because we kinda-sorta see one night passing in the manga itself, but since it's not outright stated, I don't count it.

Thanks in advance, everyone!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Calendar Dates In The Manga

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:31 pm

MagicBox wrote:May 7th: The date on which the Tenkaichi Budōkai is always held.

May 9th: The date on which Piccolo Daimaō announces that he has taken over (as well as Japan's official "Gokū Day" out-of-universe).

May 12th: The date on which the Artificial Humans attack near South City.

Am I missing anything? It's entirely possible that I skimmed past something in the guide. Again, I'm only looking for dates that are specifically confirmed in the manga. I'm not interested in anything that's inferred within the guide books. For example, the Daizenshū state that Piccolo Daimaō regains his youth on May 8th because we kinda-sorta see one night passing in the manga itself, but since it's not outright stated, I don't count it.

Thanks in advance, everyone!
The May 7th date shouldn't be counted either, as that too is "just" an inference made in the Daizenshuu, due to fact Piccolo announces Piccolo Day on May 9th and thus the 22nd tournament took place on May 7th.
All the other tournaments are not given specific dates and are certainly not stated to take place on exactly the same date(from a real world perspective huge sporting events tend to fall in or around the same dates fx Champions League Finals in football(soccer for the Americans), so it does make sense to just keep the date).

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:56 pm

In the manga it's just May 9th, May 12th, and...ugh, the date of the Cell Games, which is "M 17th" in the original manga and May 26th for the kanzenban and full color manga.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:01 pm

Herms wrote:In the manga it's just May 9th, May 12th, and...ugh, the date of the Cell Games, which is "M 17th" in the original manga and May 26th for the kanzenban and full color manga.
I wonder, if the month of May means something special to Toriyama or whether it's just a complete coincidence.
His birthday is in early April, so it doesn't seem to be that, though it's close.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks very much, you two!

My mistake regarding May 7th. I could've sworn that was mentioned somewhere. Thanks for the correction.

I completely forgot about the Cell Game dates as well. Thanks again!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:06 pm

dbgtFO wrote:I wonder, if the month of May means something special to Toriyama or whether it's just a complete coincidence.
Well, May 9th is a Japanese number pun on "Goku" (5=go 9=ku), so there's a definite reason for that one at least. The revised Cell Games date just comes from calculating forward from May 12th, but if May 12th itself has any number pun or other meaning, then I'm not aware of it. The original Cell Games date of M 17th seems like Toriyama trying to use weird made-up month names again, like he did in Dr. Slump.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.