Time SKIP not Time FREEZE

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Time SKIP not Time FREEZE

Post by TheMikado » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:08 pm

I've seen this posted so many times that it's crazy. There is a clear and complete difference betweening "skipping" time and "freezing" time and definitely in it's mechanics.

First some definitions.

Time SKIP - Literally skipping through time. During the time you are skipping you literally do not exist. For example Trunks skips through time, he does not freeze everything around him as he travels through time at a normal pace until he arrives at that destination in time. He literally do not exist at all during the time he is skipping. It makes no difference if it's 1/2 second or 2 decades the effects of the skip are the same. He cannot change trajectory once he skips because he does not see the world for the time he is skipping.
How this applies to Hit - Hit is a time skipper. What this means is that he literally disappears for that instant where he is skipping. From his perspective its as if the time he skipped never happened. From the outside looking in he would appear to disappear if he wasn't skipping for such a short amount of time.

Time FREEZE - Guldo is a great example. In the case of freezing it wouldn't matter the strength/speed of the opponent because you are literally frozen in that instant. Because you are freezing time you could do a number of things during that time, return to your original position, unfreeze, and no one would notice anything had even occurred.

How speed affects Time Skips - Because a time skip is literally skipping an amount of time that is pre-initiated, An opponent who anticipates your movements could know when and where you should reappear when you exit the time skip. They would need to be both perceptive enough to anticipate and fast enough to react.

Remember we are unaware of what abilities Hit has while in the time skip and whether it allows him to move in both space and time. Anyway. I hope the difference between a Time skip and Time Freeze is more clear as I feel like it's often in correctly used when discussing Hit.

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Time SKIP not Time FREEZE

Post by Cetra » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Trunks does exist through time travelling. He is just in a subspace. He is not where he was before but he is existent somewhere nonetheless.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:21 pm

Cetra wrote:Trunks does exist through time travelling. He is just in a subspace. He is not where he was before but he is existent somewhere nonetheless.
I'm clearly not saying he doesn't exist at all. He doesn't exist in the universe during his time travel state. Unless you're saying they could locate this subspace and find him frozen in time for half a decade while he is moving through time?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:22 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Cetra wrote:Trunks does exist through time travelling. He is just in a subspace. He is not where he was before but he is existent somewhere nonetheless.
I'm clearly not saying he doesn't exist at all. He doesn't exist in the universe during his time travel state. Unless you're saying they could locate this subspace and find him frozen in time for half a decade while he is moving through time?
Well, I am fairly sure that whoever has the chance to time travel could enter this subspace. And being in the subspace does not mean that you do not move in this subspace. Depending on the context it is actually even possible that "moving in the subspace but nowhere else" is possible. It is often used to show warping in video games for example.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:06 pm

I was also saying it made much more sense as a time skip ala King Crimson from JJBA Part 5.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:43 pm

TheMikado wrote:
it really depends on the rules of the space that Trunks is travelling through. There have been many theories posited about different dimensions in which physics behave in strange and unforeseen ways. A lot of Sci-fi stories make use of these things. A prime example is the Halo universe. They have slipstream technology which allows them to travel across subspace. In the Halo universe subspace is made up of seven dimensions existing as a very small bundle. Slipspace(Subspace) is a tangle of intertwined spacial dimensions, comparably similar to a wadded up piece of paper, which lie underneath the three conventional spatial dimensions of the universe. This allows them to travel massive distances in short time periods. The Forerunners have a much greater understanding of the physics in these dimensions so they can instantly warp across the galaxy, slow time, time lock, etc.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Hit is both a time skipper and a time freezer (at least this is the case in the manga). The time skip stuff was more interesting because of how Goku countered it by prediction, whereas the time freeze stuff would be impossible to counter by any clever trick, so they just have Goku lolnope it by having more ki. They should have kept Hit's technique as a "teleport into the future" type thing.