Why didn't the Z Fighters power up Gohan's Kamehameha at the Cell Saga?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Why didn't the Z Fighters power up Gohan's Kamehameha at the Cell Saga?

Post by keyz05 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:14 pm

I mean, wouldn't that make sense? They could make it more powerful enough to bring down Cell and use the last of their power to defeat him.

Tectorman
Regular

Re: Why didn't the Z Fighters power up Gohan's Kamehameha at the Cell Saga?

Post by Tectorman » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:05 am

The way I take that fight is that, once Goku had helped Gohan build his confidence back up, Gohan actually had the power to beat Cell. But with his busted arm, I don't think he would have had the stamina to stay at full power for long, which is why he needed a distraction such as was provided by Vegeta to ramp up to full power and overwhelm Cell before he gassed out. So presumably, Gohan wouldn't be able to utilize the power the Z Fighters would have provided.

Plus, there's the question of how quickly the process can be done. Goku was able to easily siphon off a portion of his energy to let the injured Frieza get away from Namek because his only enemy (Frieza) lay there dying at the time. Earlier, Gohan and Krillin were able to give their power to Piccolo because Frieza wasn't paying attention. With Cell right there, would the Z Fighters have ever had the opportunity?
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:11 am

Channeling your ki into others is never presented in the manga as the plausible win condition it is in a few of the movies. In fact, the sole example I can think of in a battle -- Gohan and Kuririn lending Piccolo a bit of energy for a sneak attack against Freeza -- renders a pretty insignificant result and requires sustained physical contact. Goku also shares a bit of energy with Freeza before trying to leave, but it's just enough to restore a bit of his strength -- not enough power him beyond his limits.

Gohan also has a physically damaged arm by the end of the fight, and it's not clear any amount of lent ki would help with that.

EDIT -- Realized the post just above me covered all this nearly exactly. Should've read it before responding.

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am

I don't think their power would really be significant enough to help, not in the beaten down state they were in.

only thing that would be a real gamechanger is a senzu. then Gohan would trash Cell with ease.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:36 am

MaxZ wrote:I don't think their power would really be significant enough to help, not in the beaten down state they were in.

only thing that would be a real gamechanger is a senzu. then Gohan would trash Cell with ease.
pretty much this Gohan and Cell must be on a entire different scale in which the involvement of the others
won't be of any significance.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:48 am

As the others mentioned -- Gohan and Cell were in a class of their own. After them the next available source of power is Vegeta and then Piccolo (the humans are too negligible in power at this point to be of consideration). Vegeta already proved that his efforts were futile against Cell. Any energy he could lend to the Kamehameha wouldn't be enough to shift the balance over to them. In the end it's up to Gohan and his willingness to tap into his vast reserves of power to defeat Cell.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:06 pm

Friezacooler wrote:
MaxZ wrote:I don't think their power would really be significant enough to help, not in the beaten down state they were in.

pretty much this Gohan and Cell must be on a entire different scale in which the involvement of the others
Nothing annoys me more than people who say that Gohan could only win because of Vegeta. The only reason he needed Vegeta's help was because of Vegeta :roll:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:47 pm

kinisking wrote:
Friezacooler wrote:

Nothing annoys me more than people who say that Gohan could only win because of Vegeta. The only reason he needed Vegeta's help was because of Vegeta :roll:
Yes! Vegeta just (in equvilant terms) undid the handicap he placed on Gohan. It was still entirely Gohans win.

In fact I'd go so far as to say Vegeta's interference was more damaging than Vegetas fix was helpful.

For number nerds like me:

Gohan 70
Cell 50
Gohan 40 (70 -30 because Vegeta got Gohans arm fucked up)
Gohan 60 (40 +20 because Vegeta provided a distraction)

Something like that.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:02 am

TobyS wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Friezacooler wrote:
Yes! Vegeta just (in equvilant terms) undid the handicap he placed on Gohan. It was still entirely Gohans win.

In fact I'd go so far as to say Vegeta's interference was more damaging than Vegetas fix was helpful.

For number nerds like me:

Gohan 70
Cell 50
Gohan 40 (70 -30 because Vegeta got Gohans arm fucked up)
Gohan 60 (40 +20 because Vegeta provided a distraction)

Something like that.
yeah.

I don't think Super Perfect Cell stood a chance without the injury he inflicted on Gohan, it'd be a stomp only marginally less brutal than before.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:04 am

This is truth. Power levels don't actually represent the power scale. Even if say Vegeta (strongest one out there) was 1000 times earth-busting power, gohan & cell were going at a level which could destroy the sun , the solar system itself, which is more than millions of times of planet busting.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:40 pm

MaxZ wrote:yeah.

I don't think Super Perfect Cell stood a chance without the injury he inflicted on Gohan, it'd be a stomp only marginally less brutal than before.
Yep... if we ignore the whole story and just say Cell's power up wasn't much of an increase at all.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:14 am

Because they were in a scary situation and didn't/couldn't think rationally? Happens at least once an arc.