Should Valese return and be part of the series canon?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Should Valese return and be part of the series canon?

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:24 am

This has been on my mind for a while now, and I definitely don't expect her to return for Dragon Ball Super, I've been wondering, considering Valese's role as Goten's girlfriend in Dragon Ball GT, do you all think she'd have a more...extensive if she were to return? Like obviously, she wouldn't be a fighter by any means, though I always saw her as a...decent contrast to how all of the other Z-Fighters' girls are either coming off as a bit too...abrasive. Valese wasn't really like that, IMO. She seemed more gentle. A bit ditzy, but nowhere near the level Maron (Krillin's ex) was at, as far as I can remember. What do yuo all think? Do you think she could return and fit in the series, given she has a bit more time to be developed properly?

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Should Valese return and be part of the series canon?

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:55 am

dragonballhero wrote:This has been on my mind for a while now, and I definitely don't expect her to return for Dragon Ball Super, I've been wondering, considering Valese's role as Goten's girlfriend in Dragon Ball GT, do you all think she'd have a more...extensive if she were to return? Like obviously, she wouldn't be a fighter by any means, though I always saw her as a...decent contrast to how all of the other Z-Fighters' girls are either coming off as a bit too...abrasive. Valese wasn't really like that, IMO. She seemed more gentle. A bit ditzy, but nowhere near the level Maron (Krillin's ex) was at, as far as I can remember. What do yuo all think? Do you think she could return and fit in the series, given she has a bit more time to be developed properly?
As a Toei-original character in a part of the franchise Toriyama had little direct influence over, it stands to reason that she wouldn't be a part of Super. While it would be funny for Goten to find a girlfriend out of envy of Trunks's relationship with Mai / jealousy over Trunks himself, I don't think it would be her specifically.

Plus, her name is "Palace" (パレス paresu), which is a pun on go-ten (御殿), a homophone for Goten's name.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:47 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:As a Toei-original character in a part of the franchise Toriyama had little direct influence over, it stands to reason that she wouldn't be a part of Super. While it would be funny for Goten to find a girlfriend out of envy of Trunks's relationship with Mai / jealousy over Trunks himself, I don't think it would be her specifically.

Plus, her name is "Palace" (パレス paresu), which is a pun on go-ten (御殿), a homophone for Goten's name.
Knowing Goten, I can also imagine him trying to get a girlfriend with Trunks and Mai in mind, but I do see him getting more and more attached to her rather than only for the sake of showing Trunks up. That being said, I would hope it would be Valese/Palace. As I've said before, One big reason as to why I liked Valese, despite her limited screen time, was that I felt that compared to the likes of Chi-Chi, Bulma, 18, Videl (pre-GT/Super, I suppose), she was a nice little break from the more..."abrasive" female characters Toriyama himself created. I normally don't mind them, but it gets a little old after a while. That being said, I'll admit, I was a little disappointed that it was never officially shown whether or not Goten and Valese/Palace had gotten hitched, but I guess that's just one of those things left to the imagination.

BTW, I am aware that Palace is her "real name", while Valese was what FUNimation used for their dub of DBGT. Still, could you explain it a bit more in depth? I'm still not following just how her name's romanization relates to Goten's.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:23 am

We don't always know what FUNimation changed names to; that version is not our focus.

Homophones are words that are written differently but sound / are pronounced the same way. For example, in English, "ate" (the past-tense form of the verb for feeding yourself) and "eight" (the number between seven and nine) are homophones.

Goku's second son's name is written as 悟天 which is read as "Goten". Separately, the word for "palace" in Japanese is written as 御殿 which is also read as "goten". The underlying pun here is that they took the Japanese word that sounds exactly the same as her boyfriend's name and used the English equivalent.

Another example would be 髪 ("hair"), 紙 ("paper"), and 神 ("god"), which are ALL read in Japanese as kami.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:24 pm

VegettoEX wrote:We don't always know what FUNimation changed names to; that version is not our focus.

Homophones are words that are written differently but sound / are pronounced the same way. For example, in English, "ate" (the past-tense form of the verb for feeding yourself) and "eight" (the number between seven and nine) are homophones.

Goku's second son's name is written as 悟天 which is read as "Goten". Separately, the word for "palace" in Japanese is written as 御殿 which is also read as "goten". The underlying pun here is that they took the Japanese word that sounds exactly the same as her boyfriend's name and used the English equivalent.

Another example would be 髪 ("hair"), 紙 ("paper"), and 神 ("god"), which are ALL read in Japanese as kami.
Oh, really? Well, thanks for the Japanese lesson! (Man, I've got a LOT to learn about Japanese language... :crazy: ) :) BTW, I don't suppose you have an opinion about what I wrote above about Valese, do you?