Is Saiyan Saga Vegeta a "Planet Buster"?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Regular

Is Saiyan Saga Vegeta a "Planet Buster"?

Post by AvatarReiko » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:14 pm

Or was he just being cocky and arrogant as per usual? He did, after all, state that he was the strongest being in the universe, which obviously wasn't true at the time. Just to make this clear, I think he is a planet buster but I am in debating with 2 or 3 people, who are all arguing against it, saying there is no proof and that he was either being cocky or bluffing, blah, blah, blah. Just wanted to get some opinions on the matter just in case I missed anything.

Krillin1994
Regular

Re: Is saiyan saga Vegeta a planet buster?

Post by Krillin1994 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:13 pm

I think it's safe to assume he was, otherwise Goku would have avoided the beam clash.

But then again it could have been a bluff like Vegeta did to Dr Gero after beating 19.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:47 pm

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but it's not out of the question to say he was bluffing or exaggerating, in my opinion. Keep in mind, Vegeta had completely lost it at this point and likewise claimed to Son Goku that he was "the strongest in the universe" or something to that effect. Of course, we know this was false and that there were at least a dozen or so individuals in Freeza's army alone who were ahead of Vegeta in the pecking order that he obviously knew of (Freeza himself, the Ginyu Force, Avo and Cado, Tagoma, Zarbon, Shisami, Dodoria, King Cold). Regardless, I think Vegeta's blast would have done significant damage to Earth, even if it didn't completely destroy it altogether.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:10 pm

Vegeta at this point is league's above Mr Roshi, king Piccolo and Piccolo. So saying Vegeta can't back up his claim is like disregarding that Z characters and Villains got stronger as the story progressed. meanwhile at the current moment Gohan seems to get weaker and weaker lol.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:17 pm

Friezacooler wrote:Vegeta at this point is league's above Mr Roshi, king Piccolo and Piccolo. So saying Vegeta can't back up his claim is like disregarding that Z characters and Villains got stronger as the story progressed. meanwhile at the current moment Gohan seems to get weaker and weaker lol.
Not really. Sure, Roshi destroyed the Moon, but there are multiple instances where much stronger characters struggled with feats way, way less impressive than said moon-busting feat. For example, King Piccolo was out of breath and breathing heavily after destroying only a portion of a large city. In short, Dragonball feats are completely inconsistent and really hard to quantify, mostly because Akira Toriyama doesn't give a flying fuck about that sort of stuff.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:51 pm

In Brightest Day wrote:
Friezacooler wrote:Vegeta at this point is league's above Mr Roshi, king Piccolo and Piccolo. So saying Vegeta can't back up his claim is like disregarding that Z characters and Villains got stronger as the story progressed. meanwhile at the current moment Gohan seems to get weaker and weaker lol.
Not really. Sure, Roshi destroyed the Moon, but there are multiple instances where much stronger characters struggled with feats way, way less impressive than said moon-busting feat. For example, King Piccolo was out of breath and breathing heavily after destroying only a portion of a large city. In short, Dragonball feats are completely inconsistent and really hard to quantify, mostly because Akira Toriyama doesn't give a flying fuck about that sort of stuff.
did you get that info from the anime or manga?

still I am sure there is also an instance where king Piccolo claims he could destroy earth and Vegeta is still league's
above him.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:45 pm

Considering Piccolo blew up the moon casually and the Daizenshuu has this to say about saiyan saga Vegeta's power:
Daizenshuu wrote:Vegeta displays gigantic power capable of destroying the Earth.
http://web.archive.org/web/201110110425 ... attle#link

So I'm going to go with yes.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Re: Is Saiyan Saga Vegeta a "Planet Buster"?

Post by Pantalones » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:34 am

"Planet buster" in the Death Star/Freeza/Kid Buu/etc. sense, being able to blow a planet to bits in an instant if he felt like it? I'd say no.

But I figure he could still have destroyed the planet, just in a less instantaneous way -- like maybe if his blast hadn't been stopped before hitting the planet it would've gone on to trigger a "Freeza blows up Namek" 5-minute-countdown scenario. Which would make a lot more sense for him anyway, considering that he can't survive in space and would probably want to escape in his pod after starting the planet's destruction rather than indirectly killing himself.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:27 am

Would have punched a massive hole in the earth at minimum., atleast.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:42 am

If Roshi could destroy the Moon using a blast when his power level was likely not much higher than the low hundreds -- accounting for his post-retirement rustiness during said feat -- then destroying the Earth should be easily doable for a man who is likely fifty to one hundred times stronger. As for the inconsistency of feats, you're right. Characters were casually brandishing Ki blasts the size of nukes on Namek. If the power scaling were consistent then anything in the post-Freeza DB universe should be so destructively overwhelming that the Earth is destroyed just from punches alone. But if that were to happen the series would end since none of the Z-Fighters can survive in Space.

You could also attribute the discrepancy to the characters purposefully condensing their attacks so they're not obliterating the planet which they're fighting on. Typology of the attack would also be an issue. For Piccolo specifically, his technique was emitted in the form of an omnidirectional wave of destruction intended to destroy everything around him. It's not like Vegeta's attack where he was specifically aiming for the planet itself and not the objects and people on its surface.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:11 am

Proper planet buster?

No. I can back up my statement if you want to debate.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:17 pm

Yes he was. Planets are nothing special. Now a solar system on the other hand.. Yeah i could see how that would be too much for him.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Most likely, but not casually like Freeza can. Vegeta was most likely not going to destroy the Earth completely. He still need his space pod and still need to go to Namek. Otherwise he would die in space over time.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:57 pm

Vegeta stated his Galick Gun would destroy the planet and nothing contradicts that statement.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:04 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Vegeta stated his Galick Gun would destroy the planet and nothing contradicts that statement.
Well, apparently, his lie about him being the 'strongest being in the universe" makes him untrustworthy. Also the fact that he said Goku could save himself if he dodges the beam despite the fact that he can survive in space.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:18 pm

I seriously doubt Goku would risk his own life by using Kaiou-ken x4 if he knew that Vegeta's blast is incapable of destroying the whole planet.
AvatarReiko wrote:Also the fact that he said Goku could save himself if he dodges the beam despite the fact that he can't survive in space.
I think he meant that Goku could save himself from getting killed by the Gyarikku-Ho is he dodge it, but he would still die because the planet will get destroyed.
Strength Checker wrote:Chapter: 231 (DBZ 37), P4.2/P6.2/P12.5
Context: Vegeta prepares to fire the Gyarikku-Ho
Vegeta: “Dodge this if you can!!!! Even if you save yourself, the Earth will be smashed to pieces!!!!! [ ] You’ll never block my Gyarikku-Ho…!!!! Turn to space dust together with the Earth!!!!!”

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:56 am

Khin wrote:I seriously doubt Goku would risk his own life by using Kaiou-ken x4 if he knew that Vegeta's blast is incapable of destroying the whole planet.
AvatarReiko wrote:Also the fact that he said Goku could save himself if he dodges the beam despite the fact that he can't survive in space.
I think he meant that Goku could save himself from getting killed by the Gyarikku-Ho is he dodge it, but he would still die because the planet will get destroyed.
Strength Checker wrote:Chapter: 231 (DBZ 37), P4.2/P6.2/P12.5
Context: Vegeta prepares to fire the Gyarikku-Ho
Vegeta: “Dodge this if you can!!!! Even if you save yourself, the Earth will be smashed to pieces!!!!! [ ] You’ll never block my Gyarikku-Ho…!!!! Turn to space dust together with the Earth!!!!!”
Oh my God that's what I said, when I was debating with somebody but he was so dense, he wouldn't believe anything different.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:05 am

The thing is characters in Dragon ball seem to do pretty well at judging their attacks power with regards to what it will effect. At no point did Kame-sennin question whether he couldn't destroy the moon. So I would say that Goku knew it was true, being that he could also accomplish it. And so he tried to stop Vegeta's Gyarikku-Ho.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:51 pm

If Vegeta did blew up the Earth completely, he would die in space. He would have no food, water and run of time to breath. I still think his attack would have killed Goku and destroy the core of the planet. He would need time to use his space pod and head to Namek. He still wanted to be immortal and kill Freeza.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:27 am

I would say yes, Saiyan Saga Vegeta's Galick Gun would have utterly destroyed the Earth if Goku hadn't countered with the Kaioken Times Three Kamehameha. Hell, even Raditz and Nappa from the very same saga could have destroyed the entire Earth if they wanted to with their signature moves such as the Double Sunday and Break Cannon respectively.