How was Freeza sent to Hell?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Bullza
Banned

How was Freeza sent to Hell?

Post by Bullza » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:19 pm

After Goku died and he went to the Check In station he asked King Yemma if Raditz had passed through. He said yes and he sent him to Hell and even though Raditz fought the decision, King Yemma just beat him because none were stronger than him supposedly.

However King Yemma is weaker than King Kai who is weaker than Nappa.

So when Frieza died how did he go from the Check In station to being cocooned in Hell? It's not as though King Yemma could force him there.

You could argue that he would have just been a cloud but then

1. Wouldn't Raditz have also been a cloud? So how could he have fought King Yemma?

2. He wasn't a cloud at the start of Resurrection F when he was in Hell.

So yeah, whenever someone evil and stronger than Nappa dies how are they forced into Hell?
Last edited by Bullza on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: How was Frieza sent to Hell?

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:21 pm

I assume they're stripped of all their power when they die and only through special exceptions, like Goku, are they allowed to keep it.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:16 pm

In the manga all people except for heroes just become spirits who live in heaven or hell until they are reincarnated.

However in most extra material we have seen many main villains keep their bodies. For an in universe reason as to why I've always subscribed the the theory that they are forced to live in Hell for longer then other souls as punishment for exceptionally bad deeds. They are not punished with pain however but boredom, they are forced to exist in an purgatory until their sentence is up or they have genuinely changed their ways.

Since we are going Super, there has never been a break out in hell (since as far as I remember Super do not openly acknowledged any filler from the DBZ anime). Taking that on board their are a number of options. Two I can personally think of.

1) There is some form of afterlife power or magic in place that insures villains to powerful to be contained by even Yemma are restrained and sent to hell.

2) The most likely answer in my opinion. We know that heroes get to keep their bodies after death and its really not that unreasonable to think that like the anime filler they will help keep powerful villains under control. However in Super continuity its possible that instead of whating for the bad guys so start trouble, Yemma calls in some heroes before hand to restrain them and help imprison them.
Lord Quitela - The God of Destruction of Universe 4

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:30 am

Lord Frieza wrote:2) The most likely answer in my opinion. We know that heroes get to keep their bodies after death and its really not that unreasonable to think that like the anime filler they will help keep powerful villains under control. However in Super continuity its possible that instead of whating for the bad guys so start trouble, Yemma calls in some heroes before hand to restrain them and help imprison them.
In the Buu saga, doesn't Goku say he couldn't find anyone in Otherworld strong enough to practice fusion with? So who could possibly restrain Frieza after he died in Resurrection F? I think some kind of magic must be used.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:34 am

Keep in mind that a lot of the afterlife business was anime filler
Zillamon51 wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:2) The most likely answer in my opinion. We know that heroes get to keep their bodies after death and its really not that unreasonable to think that like the anime filler they will help keep powerful villains under control. However in Super continuity its possible that instead of whating for the bad guys so start trouble, Yemma calls in some heroes before hand to restrain them and help imprison them.
In the Buu saga, doesn't Goku say he couldn't find anyone in Otherworld strong enough to practice fusion with? So who could possibly restrain Frieza after he died in Resurrection F? I think some kind of magic must be used.
No, he says there isn't anyone enough like him to fuse with.
Retired.

Desassina
Advanced Regular

Post by Desassina » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:14 am

Enma Daio was able to make a body for Vegeta and get his soul back. He must have them stacked in the Otherworld, while Freeza's Hell was a vision for the soul, instead of an actual place. It would be interesting if Goku lent his body to Enma in order to visit Hell unrestrained. You know, like humans got in the Matrix through their minds, only it would be their souls in Dragon Ball. To answer the topic at hand: they become souls the moment they are dead, but heroes deemed worth their bodies get to keep them. Now, the reason why Goku had it before being judged by Enma escapes me, but maybe it was Kami pulling strings.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:53 am

Except some notable exceptions like Goku, people don't get to keep their bodies in the afterlife. The body is essential to use Ki, so Freeza and the others are basically powerless.

When Goku talks about finding someone to practice fusion with, he's implicitly talking about the ones that, like him, got to keep their bodies in the afterlife, and among them, there was no one similar enough to Goku for Goku to practice it.

Lionel
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Lionel » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:08 am

Chapter: 469 (DBZ 275), P6.1-7
Context: after Goku laments that Gohan and Vegeta are dead
Goku: “I coulda used Fusion…”
Dende: “Fusion…! Merging together, right? That’s the specialty art of the people of Planet Metamor!”
Goku: “So you know about it, Dende…! That’s right, some people from Metamor who I met in the afterlife taught me that art…It’s a merging technique which can only be performed if two people are fairly close in both power and body size…In other words, by having two people merge into one, they’re able to become a single, new human with amazing power which either of them on their own absolutely wouldn’t be capable of. It really is incredible! Those two from Metamor were completely weak and gentle on their own, but by using Fusion they transformed into a substantial warrior! [ ] …I was just taught the art, but I ain’t never tested it out…There wasn’t anybody on par with me in the afterlife…

Considering the subject matter of the conversation, I feel it's pretty safe to conclude Goku was referencing power.

Like the others, I agree with Freeza having been stripped of his body before being condemned to Hell. He couldn't have mustered a resistance if there's no body to use. But Yemma's comment on Raditz being obstinate implies he was putting up a fight. Could it just be an inconsistency in the internal logic?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:10 am

Lionel wrote:
Like the others, I agree with Freeza having been stripped of his body before being condemned to Hell. He couldn't have mustered a resistance if there's no body to use. But Yemma's comment on Raditz being obstinate implies he was putting up a fight. Could it just be an inconsistency in the internal logic?
It is an inconsistency but it can easily be interpreted as Radditz doing his hardest to protest and escape without actually being able to fight it out, and Enma taking the chance to make himself look even more impressive to Goku by not telling him all the details (like the fact that Radditz was actually powerless without his body).

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:59 am

I personally think that none of the villains actually get to keep their bodies while in the afterlife.

Even in the manga, where souls were portrayed as clouds, there was a panel where an animal man in a white gown was waiting to be judged by King Yemma. This could mean that under certain conditions the dead look like their former selves and are more or less physical, even if they're just spirits, and clouds are just ways to show they're not living anymore.

Following this theory, Freeza would just be a spirit King Yemma would have no problem to contain. Otherwise, if he had actually kept his body in the afterlife, he wouldn't have been brought back in pieces, but whole.

Playing with the theory a bit, it could also explain the villains' appearances in the anime filler and GT: over time, perhaps training, they managed to achieve some degree of power and cause mayhem in Hell or on Earth.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts