Things in the story that bother you

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Things in the story that bother you

Post by Zeru14 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:24 am

Is their things that bother you about how certain arcs went, I mean how Toriyama plays things out in ways that you found dumb, created a hole in story, a retcon or inconsistent.

Saiyan Saga
Kami's Training never including the Time Chamber; Toriyama clearly didn't invent the Time Chamber till the Android Saga, so a plothole is created, that was never even attempted to be reconciled, with the rest of the story, by like saying Kami offered the Z-Fighters the option, but they declined. In the Android Saga, Krillin and co didn't even know about it, despite being on the lookout for months.
Yamcha's death by Kamikaze; Yamcha has been training for years in the warrior ways, so he should've known never to let his guard down around an enemy even a defeated one.
Piccolo grabbing Nappa's tail; Krillin should've remembered that Kid Goku trained his tail to rid himself of that weakness and therefore consider that Nappa and Vegeta might have done the same.
Goku vs Great Ape Vegeta; When Goku used the Solar Flare to stun Vegeta, instead of trying the Spirit Bomb, cutting off Vegeta's tail would've been the better strategy, since Goku was probably unaware of this, King Kai who was watching the battle the entire time should've told him.

Frieza Saga
Introduction of Zenkai; This was nothing more than a cheap way for Vegeta, Goku and Gohan to power up quickly while on Namek, Toriyama tries to act like it's always existed by having Krillin mention Goku becoming stronger after past loses/injuries, but that clearly wasn't the case.
King Kai's training with dead Z-Fighters; King Kai never sharing the Kaioken technique with them, would've been useful for later battles, especially for Piccolo against Frieza 2nd and 3rd forms(but of course useless after transforming into his final form) and Androids years later and don't give me that Goku was the only one skilled enough to learn it, the technique requires Ki control, which Piccolo a Namek was naturally gifted at, the others trained with Roshi, Shen and Kami just like Goku did, so they could've mastered it, and Krillin could've learned from his fellow turtle student Yamcha.

Android Saga
Original Future; Everybody dying and staying dead was total bullshit, when the dead Z-Fighters could've just gone to King Kai's told what happened and have him contact New Namek for them use their Dragonballs to revive them(except Goku who died of natural causes). This happens again when Future Trunks meets the Supreme Kai and Kibito, they could've taken him the New Namek and have them use the dragonballs revive the dead Z-Fighters and ask Future Dende to be the new Guardian.
17 and 18 different personalities; no explanation is given for them not being homicidal maniacs like the original future selfs, especially since everybody else acts the same in different timelines(i.e Cell and Zamasu).
Android 18 just standing around; Android 16 told her to run while he held off Cell but she just stood around like an idiot, she did it again while Super Vegeta was fighting Cell.
Future Trunks trying to kill Semi-Perfect Cell; Would've made more sense to just kill 18 in one shot instead, he hated the Androids anyway no skin off his back, Piccolo stated earlier that the plan was to kill Cell before he absorbed 17 and 18, or kill one or both of them to keep him from becoming perfect.

Buu Saga
Goten and Kid Trunks being SSJ; Makes no sense when compared to the others who attained the transformation, those two had an easy life, they never got pushed to the emotional and physical limit like the others who unlocked it.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Re: Things in the Story that bother You

Post by Captain Strawberry » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:48 am

Few things bother me. I don't expect Toriyama to be like Togashi but if it was mentioned in a guidebook it would be cool.

Toriyama doesn't explain a lot of things. Why does Super Saiyajin exist if it is the polar opposite transformation? I can accept if they are born with one ability but both which are different I can't really believe they 'just' have them because of DNA.

This doesn't bother me, but I wish magic would play more a role in Dragon ball, it would be cool.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

swimtrunks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by swimtrunks » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:28 pm

The only thing that bothers me really is how long the sagas take to end. The Frieza saga was fine. But the next one going from two androids, to two other androids, to Cell and then cell blowing up then reviving. I still haven't seen like a quarter of the Buu saga because of this. It went from fat buu, to gray skinny buu, to buff buu, then kid buu.

It's just way too much I don't feel like re-watching. I haven't seen the buu saga since it last aired on Toonami back in like 2002. That's one advantage GT has over the other sagas. Being short. Maybe I'll sit thru the Buu saga now that it's being Kai'd.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:38 pm

There are many things that bother me in the original story:
- The lack of actual world building beyond the Red Ribbon Army arc.
- The great mishandling of the supporting cast after the Saiyan arc.
- The over-reliance on transformations, that eventually consumed the plot after the Freeza arc.
- The introduction of more Dragon Balls
- The character grasping the idiot ball throughout the Android/Cell arc
- The overall unfocused narrative

But I still love Dragon Ball. :P

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:08 pm

Lack of explanations, lack of development and lack of flashbacks. Too many transformations and too much development and screentime for characters who don't need them anymore. Those items cringe my very gears. :|
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:12 pm

Personally, the excessive number of transformations and the mishandling/disuse of the supporting cast.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:31 pm

God ki and SSB SSG being introduced. Would be better if it was exclusive to the kai's

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:09 pm

Like others have mentioned; the insane amount of transformations and the poor treatment of the supporting cast. Why the humans and Piccolo weren't allowed the Kaioken since Goku didn't use it post SSJ until very recently is beyond me.

That Krillin never utilised the obvious Solar Flare + Destructo Disc combination. For such a pragmatic fighter it seems weird it never occurred to him to combine these moves to help his sure kill move land.

That Gohan is supposed to be smart but we never really see him do anything intelligent. Not just in fighting, even outside we don't see him being knowledgable about anything in particular.

Everyone being dumb as rocks during the Android saga, and I literally mean EVERYONE.

Super Saiyan God. The whole transformation ritual makes no sense. Saiyans don't have pure hearts by nature; they're douchebags. Seems half way through we just forgot the Saiyans were meant to be a war mongering species of assholes. Gine was considered a freak on Planet Vegeta.

Everything relating to the Super Saiyan post Frieza arc to be honest.
It's supposed to be a legendary form that appears once every thousand years and yet EVERYONE with saiyan DNA(bar Pan and Bra it seems) can become it. Kinda takes the specialness away when Goten and Trunks obtain it by doing some light training.
SSJ2 and SSJ3 are ridiculous. The Super Saiyan is supposed to be the legend, but lo behold there's two further transformations the legend can access, one of which is the same as the original Super Saiyan but superior in every single way, and the latter having a stamina issue in exchange for an insane power boost.

That everyone is cool with Vegeta, Buu and Beerus. Tenshinhan seemed to hold a bit of a grudge against Vegeta when Mecha Frieza came to Earth, but considering how they all tried to destroy the planet at various stages, it's weird how everyone acts like they're all friends. I get that they can't do anything against Beerus if they weren't, but everyone's so chummy with them it just seems odd.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:23 pm

There isn't much that bothers me and even the stuff that does doesn't bug me too much. But...

Goku obliterating everything above cells knee caps and he still comes back despite him saying he needs the nucleus in his head to regenerate.

Gohans "potential" changing from arc to arc depending on what the story needs of him.

Gohan, goten and trunks getting so much focus in the buu arc that it made me think they were actually going to be the next heros only for Goku to come back.

Though, I'm not too mad at any of these because they still lead to many cool moments.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:57 pm

Super:
Gohans treatment post BOG
Power level on consistency
Lack of blood
Animation is lacking at time
Power level inflation (this God shit is such a huge leap)
Pacing is too quick
Lack of explanations where it's needed

Original series:
Yamchas treatment

Goten and trunks turning super saiyan without training much. They should've unlocked it by training with Vegeta and Gohan.

Ultimate Gohan not getting enough screentime

The humans basically doing nothing during the cell arc.

Not enough flash backs

Power level inflations during the freeza arc (includes saiyan Saga imo).
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:02 pm

Grimlock wrote:Lack of explanations, lack of development and lack of flashbacks. Too many transformations and too much development and screentime for characters who don't need them anymore. Those items cringe my very gears. :|
I fail to see how those are bad things.
Also, what the hell does " cringe my very gears' mean ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:12 pm

Zeru14 wrote: Buu Saga
Goten and Kid Trunks being SSJ; Makes no sense when compared to the others who attained the transformation, those two had an easy life, they never got pushed to the emotional and physical limit like the others who unlocked it.
Trunks and Goten offer us a strange situation, as they're tailless hybrids and thus aren't subjected to the same difficulties in transforming for the first time that tailed hybrids or full-blooded Saiya-jin have. Even in Future Trunks' case, you have to realize that the manga showed that he had already transformed well prior to Gohan dying, so he could have transformed for the first time just as easily as Trunks and Goten would have, thus there being no inconsistency between the tailless hybrids.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:41 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:I fail to see how those are bad things.
So you like to get things that don't have an explanation? Like Future Trunks new transformation? We don't even know a name. And flashbacks because sometimes they help build some aspects, even character development if it's done well.

I saw that expression a while back in another topic, things that leave people irritated.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:14 am

Lack of world building.

The characters being too similar to each other in terms of powers and usage.

The current amount of Ssj forms.

Goten and Trunks having Ssj and Gotenks having Ssj3.

Buu and Cell having the same powers.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:42 am

One thing Xenoverse 2 made me realize is that it was weird that after, killing Future 17, 18 and Cell that Future Trunks didn't go back to before to Future Gohans death and prevent it by destroying the Androids himself, therefore creating a new timeline split where that Future Trunks doesn't go thru the same pain he went thru and the version of Gohan he knew gets to live, or better yet go back to when 17 and 18 first arrive, and kill them before they can kill everyone else and then go back to Gero's lab and kill baby Cell, therefore creating a new timeline split where all that crazy bad stuff never happens(except for Future Goku being dead of course).

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:24 am

Zeru14 wrote:One thing Xenoverse 2 made me realize is that it was weird that after, killing Future 17, 18 and Cell that Future Trunks didn't go back to before to Future Gohans death and prevent it by destroying the Androids himself, therefore creating a new timeline split where that Future Trunks doesn't go thru the same pain he went thru and the version of Gohan he knew gets to live, or better yet go back to when 17 and 18 first arrive, and kill them before they can kill everyone else and then go back to Gero's lab and kill baby Cell, therefore creating a new timeline split where all that crazy bad stuff never happens(except for Future Goku being dead of course).
He probably felt content that he helped the main timeline enough that didn't think it necessary to go and save additional timelines.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Things in the story that bother you

Post by dragonballhero » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:45 am

Goten and Trnks suddenly becoming SSJs without going through the same trials that Goku, Gohan, and Vegeta went thoruh. It feels kind of...off to me.

The sudden jump from the 25th WMAT to Majin Buu showing up out of nowhere. There should have been some sort of ACTUAL build-up to those events.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:59 am

Grimlock wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:I fail to see how those are bad things.
So you like to get things that don't have an explanation? Like Future Trunks new transformation? We don't even know a name. And flashbacks because sometimes they help build some aspects, even character development if it's done well.

I saw that expression a while back in another topic, things that leave people irritated.
I think it depends on the execution. Look at Cell vs Piccolo. Not only does it ruin Cell, but it's just a bad part of the story. I'm not saying that DB shouldn't have stuff like that, but just that, it doesn't seem like it really can.
As for flashbacks, I just don't like em.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:49 pm

Red Ribbon Army Arc: Yamcha, Bulma, Roshi, Oolong and others lack on involvement in "fighting" the RRA, fortunately Path to Power movie fixs this problem (for the most part).

Saiyan Arc: Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Chaozu dying "soon" after the come to fight.

Freeza Arc:
Kuririn´s death being the trigger of Goku´s Super Saiyan transformation. (For some reason I´m having a gut feeling that mistare fusion will make some kind of mention about this in his Freeza Arc dissection)

Android and Cell Arc: N°16 death triggering Gohan´s Super Saiyan 2 transformation.

Majin Bu Arc:
Gohan´s potential being unlocked by the Old Kaioshin dance.

Ressurection F Arc: Not showing Freeza´s training to its fullest.

Hakaishin Champa Arc: Frost being evil all along.

Future Trunks Arc: Kid!Trunks and Kid!Mai not having to do anything with the plot.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:04 pm

Honestly, the only thing that ever bothered me greatly was the change in romantic relationships from Bulma and Yamcha to Bulma and Vegeta, and even then just in the handling of it, it felt forced and contrived.

I will say I'm very appreciative of the recent movies and Super for making Bulma and Vegeta feel much more like a legitimate couple instead of convenient plot device as it did in the Cell and Buu arcs, so this issue has bothered me significantly less in recent times.

I just felt that for the couple that had basically been together since the begging of Dragon Ball to be dismissed with a hand wave and very minor explanation (Trunks states that Yamcha cheated on Bulma, but we've never seen this, but have seen attempts at the opposite) was a bit too under shown. I'm not saying that they should have stayed together, especially since Trunks (well, Future Trunks) is my favorite character, but there should have, in my opinion, been a better build up to the break up if you will.
-Laserkid