The Namekians that Vegeta killed can't be brought back by Shenron forever?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

The Namekians that Vegeta killed can't be brought back by Shenron forever?

Post by Angelus » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:38 pm

Shenron can only bring back a group of people within a year that they died right? Shenron was summoned during SSJ Goku and 100% Final Form Frieza's fight. The village that Vegeta slaughtered died around 5 to 6 days (Namekian days?) before that right? So a year after, even if Shenron is called forth again, it would be a technicality that Shenron can't bring them back to life because it would be past 365 Earth days since that village died right? The year limit would be off by a mere 2 Earth days? 5 to 6 Namekians days would be 2 Earth days right?

Of course the improved Namekian dragon balls can during the Buu Arc but, I mean just for Shenron. Easy 3 wishes. Transport the villager's souls to new Namek and bring back to life those that killed by Vegeta.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Re: The Namekians that Vegeta killed can't be brought back by Shenron forever?

Post by laserkid » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:23 pm

There are many ways they could have eventually brought them back, be it the Namekian Dragon Balls, or more likely combining wish-fu between the Earth and Namekian Dragon Balls, or more recently there's the Super Dragon Balls. But I think from a literary standpoint it was for the best they stay dead, it gave a definite cost to the events on Namek and also gave us something for Vegeta to change from. Sure, Vegeta was the leader of Nappa and the Saibamen, but his villainy period is somewhat offset by his subservience to Freeza.

Conversely, the Namekians Vegeta killed were done solely for his own personal benefit, and I should note done by his personal hand. Outside of Nappa, Vegeta hadn't actually killed anyone in the Saiyan arc. So while we're told Vegeta is a ruthless killer, and he certainly acted like one, until he killed a Namekian village, we didn't really SEE it. From a literary standpoint, his actions on Namek are where we get Vegeta at his worst, which gives his heel face turn context that is shown, not just told to us.

Now, you might ask why does it matter the Namekians stay dead for this to work, and that's a fair question. My answer is that the fact he made one of the fewest kills that actually stuck and STILL made a successful face turn all the more satisfying when he eventually got there. It's the same reason people want Han Solo to shoot first, seeing a bad person turn good is very compelling drama. Deep down, all of us have made mistakes, and if these really bad people can change, why can't we?

So yes, there are ways that you could wish the Namekian village Vegeta slew back to life, but from a writing perspective it's just best not to, it cheapens the plot flow.
-Laserkid