Why wasn't Future Trunks able to go SS as quick as Kid Trunks?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Why wasn't Future Trunks able to go SS as quick as Kid Trunks?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:39 pm

They were both conceived the same way right like that didn't change and so they should have the same potential right? Then how come Future Trunks had such a hard time going SS compared to Kid Trunks? Am I missing something here?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Why wasn't Future Trunks able to go SS as quick as Kid Trunks?

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:40 pm

He can in the manga, but not the anime. The manga special shows pre-Gohan death Future Trunks being able to use SS.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:46 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:He can in the manga, but not the anime. The manga special shows pre-Gohan death Future Trunks being able to use SS.
Well that solves that side of it then hadn't read the Manga version. But I wonder what a possible explanation could be for the anime version. Hmm.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:He can in the manga, but not the anime. The manga special shows pre-Gohan death Future Trunks being able to use SS.
Well that solves that side of it then hadn't read the Manga version. But I wonder what a possible explanation could be for the anime version. Hmm.
I guess you can say the time travel effect altered small things? It makes about as much sense as how Cell showing up and burying himself underground for 4 years somehow invents 3 new Androids that don't exist in any other timeline.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:49 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
In-universe...no idea. Out of universe though, one can argue that Toei just wanted the scene of Trunks' transformation to carry more weight, so having him struggling to try and transform during his training, and then eventually doing so after seeing Gohan's dead body following his valiant fight against #17 and #18 (rather than the assumed curb stomp that actually happened), makes it that more dramatic and impactful.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Darkprince410 wrote: In-universe...no idea. Out of universe though, one can argue that Toei just wanted the scene of Trunks' transformation to carry more weight, so having him struggling to try and transform during his training, and then eventually doing so after seeing Gohan's dead body following his valiant fight against #17 and #18 (rather than the assumed curb stomp that actually happened), makes it that more dramatic and impactful.
Yeah out-verse makes sense as they may also have not known about the Buu stuff yet.
ekrolo2 wrote: I guess you can say the time travel effect altered small things? It makes about as much sense as how Cell showing up and burying himself underground for 4 years somehow invents 3 new Androids that don't exist in any other timeline.
But Trunks only travelled back once he got SS? Unless you're suggested Future Trunks coming back affected Kid Trunks? So maybe Vegeta managed to get a highly potential sperm to hit Bulma's egg? Or maybe Kid Trunks seing himself go SS subconsciously made it easier for him to become SS?

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Regardless of Super Saiyan, Present Trunks is still way stronger than Future Trunks at the same age.

Present was able to defeat Goten who was on par with post RoSaT Gohan, probably. He can also possibly destroy #18 with a full powered blast.

Future was able to defeat Freeza with relative ease, but that's about all. He gets stomped by even weaker Androids.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:04 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:Regardless of Super Saiyan, Present Trunks is still way stronger than Future Trunks at the same age.

Present was able to defeat Goten who was on par with post RoSaT Gohan, probably. He can also possibly destroy #18 with a full powered blast.

Future was able to defeat Freeza with relative ease, but that's about all. He gets stomped by even weaker Androids.
I agree with you that Present Trunks is much powerful than A18 (don't know why other people think otherwise), but I don't think they are on post ROSAT Gohan level at all, that's just too powerful. I would say maybe around Semi Perfect Cell's level.

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:15 pm

dragonball0900 wrote:
DBZ Macky wrote:Regardless of Super Saiyan, Present Trunks is still way stronger than Future Trunks at the same age.

I agree with you that Present Trunks is much powerful than A18 (don't know why other people think otherwise), but I don't think they are on post ROSAT Gohan level at all, that's just too powerful. I would say maybe around Semi Perfect Cell's level.
That on par with Gohan nonsense is one of the biggest facepalms of the series. As punishment, Goten and Trunks will be irrelevant forever.

Animelover5487
Beyond Newbie

Post by Animelover5487 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:47 pm

Goten wasn't far from Boo arc SSJ Gohan. Gohan had a lot of trouble dodging/blocking Goten's attacks and was noticeably sweating.

OT: Vegeta's method of training via gravity room is probably a lot more effective than what Gohan had Trunks do which is the reason Trunks was so much stronger and accessed Super Saiyan easier.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:08 am

But Goten didn't have access to the gravity training either, yet he was stronger than Future Trunks, with arguably less intense training.
Though, I guess you could make a point about him training with a stronger Gohan.
OR it could just mean that Goten actually has more potential than Trunks (both present and future).
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:07 am

There are two theories for this by me ( please note that this isn't approved correct by anyone)

When a Saiyan becomes stronger, their DNA is triggered to change in order to make their offspring stronger from birth. Future Vegeta had the need to surpass only Goku. When the present Vegeta needed to surpass both Goku and Future Trunks. My opinion is that present Vegeta turned SSJ faster than Future Vegeta.

My other theory is that present Trunks was able to train in the Gravity Room when Future Trunks has most likely never been to a Gravity Room as a kid.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:40 am

He did go SS before gohan dying in manga, They had him transform when gohan died for more impact..

Aime explanation could be that Vegeta trained after hearing threat is coming and trunks in turn is born stronger
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

DasMuse
Beyond Newbie

Post by DasMuse » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:36 am

I always assumed it was kid Trunks' "play training" with Goten that made the most difference... Also it does help that Vegeta actually got a chance to raise him.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:45 pm

DasMuse wrote:I always assumed it was kid Trunks' "play training" with Goten that made the most difference... Also it does help that Vegeta actually got a chance to raise him.
Vegeta didn't even know trunks could go super saiyan. He obviously didn't train him much if at all.

I personally just think it has something to do with the power levels of their parents. Present vegeta was much stronger than Future vegeta when trunks was conceived due to his intense training for androids.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:56 pm

The change in the timeline may be because Goku never battled Frieza and has nothing to do do with Cell.

In the original timeline Goku battled Frieza and Cold, likely going SS in the prosess and he might not have made such quick work of it like Trunks did. In that timeline Gero learned about SS much sooner and rushed out 17 and 18 as a result. For Trunks its very likely that until he was the right age he spent most of his time running from the androids , there's no way in hell bulma would let a kid Trunks anywhere near them, and he never had a gravity room to train in.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:36 pm

Future Trunks' SSJ transformation makes more sense in the anime and it's also much better. It's basically confirmed Future and Present Trunks are different.
Present Trunks has natural access to Full Power SSJ while Future Trunks didn't.
My theory is that SSJ can be inherited.
In the present Vegeta was more motivated to achieve SSJ as he saw another one so the legend was already proven wrong. Because of this he probably conceived Trunks when he was already a SSJ, Trunks' is a natural SSJ as Goten (who is confirmed to be conceived when Goku was a SSJ) Goten couldn't even recall when was the first time he turned SSJ so I assume it was the same for Present Trunks.
In the future, Trunks was probably conceived when Vegeta still hadn't achieved SSJ.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:15 pm

Whats to say he didn't become a SSJ as quick as Kid Trunks? I mean, in the manga, he's already a SSJ and sparring with Future Gohan and no context is given as to how he pulled becoming a Super Saiyan in the first place. Hell, for all things considered, and for what kind of environment he grew up in, he could have pulled it off earlier than Kid Trunks,

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:07 am

We was SSJ just as fast in the manga. The special changed it for dramatic purposes

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:23 am

DasMuse wrote:I always assumed it was kid Trunks' "play training" with Goten that made the most difference... Also it does help that Vegeta actually got a chance to raise him.
I agree that Trunks got strong faster due to having a friend to play fighting.