Did Yamcha cheat on Bulma?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Did Yamcha cheat on Bulma?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:11 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Honestly, I've just assumed that it was some girl coming on to him while he freaked out and was unable to stop her, and Bulma happened to see this and overreacted. Ergo "He is a cheater," because he didn't prevent the scene.
Something like that is honestly how I've always imagined it too, because just about anything else just doesn't really seem to fit.

I mean, I generally take Toriyama's words on something and roll with it, even if it doesn't make as much sense from where I sit (still trying to figure out how to rationalize the new Boo origin though...), but the 'Yamcha is a cheater' thing just never really gelled with me. I know most of it is filler, but even back in earlier Dragon Ball where we'd see women hitting on Yamcha, he was still shy and awkward about it even while enjoying the attention on some level, and it was always Bulma who took it to a level of 'if a girl even looks at him and he smiles, CHEATING!' - despite her being more than willing to run up to any hot guy she saw and make advances.

So really, if Yamcha did indeed "cheat", I've always thought it had to happen one of two ways.

1) They were broke up yet again, but when Bulma decided she wanted to get back together and went to go check on him, she caught him with another girl (not even necessarily in bed, just on a date even), called him a cheater, and then off to Vegeta she went.

or

2) The two of them had a fight, Yamcha finally got fed up with being called a cheater all the time and thinks or says "Fine! If that's what you think of me, then fine.", and goes off to have a fling/one-night stand/etc. with some girl. Bulma finds out, her accusations are proven 'true', and again, off to Vegeta she goes. This second scenario does kinda put an ugly light on Yamcha as well admittedly, but still has Bulma being the main cause of it in a way.

Either way, it does make sense to me though that Trunks wouldn't have been given the whole story. What, Bulma's gonna sit around and have an in-depth talk about her former boyfriends' 'infidelities' with her son before sending him to the past to warn people about killer Androids? She probably just told him 'oh yeah, when you get there I'm not with your dad yet, just FYI. I was dating Yamcha, but he cheated on me, the cad!'.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:34 am

I never would have thought Yamcha would be a cheater. I mean, who cheats on the richest and most attractive woman in Dragon World?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:59 am

floofychan333 wrote:I never would have thought Yamcha would be a cheater. I mean, who cheats on the richest and most attractive woman in Dragon World?
That stuff don't mean shit if he isn't happy. I sure as hell wouldn't want some bitch who's petty, jealous, and inconsiderate as my lover.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:18 pm

I thought Bulma cheated on Yamcha with Vegeta

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:36 pm

DBSQA wrote:I thought Bulma cheated on Yamcha with Vegeta
She did.

ImperialWrath

Post by ImperialWrath » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:55 pm

Gog wrote:Guys, guys, Gaffer tape cleared all of this up for me.
Oh no, you don't get to just run off with a Toriyama quote and ignore all other aspects, or even other quotes he's made, of the series that contradicts what he's said.
LuckyCat wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:Unless you can think of even a single moment where Yamcha's apparent lecherous nature was shown or at least foreshadowed?
In the Saiyan saga, like I mentioned before. The implication is there in Bulma's response to Krillin.
And as others have pointed out already, that quote is so ridiculously vague that it literally could be taken to imply anything, not necessarily that Yamcha cheated on her.

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:04 pm

Wow this topic is still going

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:37 pm

ImperialWrath wrote:
Oh no, you don't get to just run off with a Toriyama quote and ignore all other aspects, or even other quotes he's made, of the series that contradicts what he's said.
LuckyCat wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:Unless you can think of even a single moment where Yamcha's apparent lecherous nature was shown or at least foreshadowed?
In the Saiyan saga, like I mentioned before. The implication is there in Bulma's response to Krillin.
And as others have pointed out already, that quote is so ridiculously vague that it literally could be taken to imply anything, not necessarily that Yamcha cheated on her.
Did you miss the HUMONGOUS POST that Gaffer Tape made? Its not just "A Toriyama Quote" and that's it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:32 am

Yamcha didn't cheat. They were on a break.

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:06 am

Majin Jator wrote:Yamcha didn't cheat. They were on a break.
Well the show said he cheated so he did

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:30 am

Majin Jator wrote:Yamcha didn't cheat. They were on a break.
The cue for seven more seasons of "Friends". :D

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:33 am

floofychan333 wrote:I never would have thought Yamcha would be a cheater. I mean, who cheats on the richest and most attractive woman in Dragon World?
Ashley Cole cheated on Cheryl.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:37 am

Apparently. But only in the "Toriyama needs Trunks to be the son of Vegeta and Bulma, and Yamcha has already been thrown under the bus 20 times, so what's one more?" sense.

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:40 am

FoolsGil wrote:Apparently. But only in the "Toriyama needs Trunks to be the son of Vegeta and Bulma, and Yamcha has already been thrown under the bus 20 times, so what's one more?" sense.
This was actually a good move made by him though and bulma and yamcha were a bad couple compared to vegeta and bulma

Vegeta123
Banned

Post by Vegeta123 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:05 pm

yamcha didn't deserve bulma

vegeta took his woman away forever. Yamcha is not a man.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:06 pm

Dragonballgod19 wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:Apparently. But only in the "Toriyama needs Trunks to be the son of Vegeta and Bulma, and Yamcha has already been thrown under the bus 20 times, so what's one more?" sense.
This was actually a good move made by him though and bulma and yamcha were a bad couple compared to vegeta and bulma
It wasn't good for Yamcha. Just one more failure to throw on Yamcha as a character. It couldn't even be an amicable breakup. No, Yamcha apparently threw away the only good thing he had in his life, a rich AF heiress. Who does that? Well Yamcha does apparently, because he needed his 21st time under the bus.

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:12 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
Dragonballgod19 wrote:
It wasn't good for Yamcha. Just one more failure to throw on Yamcha as a character. It couldn't even be an amicable breakup. No, Yamcha apparently threw away the only good thing he had in his life, a rich AF heiress. Who does that? Well Yamcha does apparently, because he needed his 21st time under the bus.
They could have easily given yamcha a now gf

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Dragonballgod19 wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:
Dragonballgod19 wrote: This was actually a good move made by him though and bulma and yamcha were a bad couple compared to vegeta and bulma
They could have easily given yamcha a now gf
That's not the point.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:40 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
Dragonballgod19 wrote:
We don't know what went on behind closed doors not everything is about money and looks ya know. It seems Yamcha fans here are the ones quick to accept him as the "bad guy" here where in actuality it is still unclear.

ImperialWrath

Post by ImperialWrath » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
ImperialWrath wrote:
LuckyCat wrote: In the Saiyan saga, like I mentioned before. The implication is there in Bulma's response to Krillin.
Did you miss the HUMONGOUS POST that Gaffer Tape made? Its not just "A Toriyama Quote" and that's it.
No I didn't miss it, and my point still stands. Gog simply wanted to take some quote and run with it, while ignoring any other context or aspect of the series' creator or the character. The fact is that when you're dealing with a guy like Toriyama, who has a well-documented history of contradicting himself on numerous occasions, it's probably not the best idea to take everything he says as gospel.