Is it just me or Dragon Balls love changing their star shape order?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

desu
Beyond Newbie

Is it just me or Dragon Balls love changing their star shape order?

Post by desu » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:06 am

Through the series the DBs have been drawn with the stars order changed, and I would say the 5th Star DB is the one that changes more of the rest. We've seen it with 5 stars around forming a circle, with 4 stars making a circle and a star in the center (similar to a dice) and like in Super or GT, where they have 4 stars and 1 on top of it.
So my question is what are they supossed to look like? Does it happen in the manga too or just in the anime?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: Is it just me or Dragon Balls love changing their star shape order?

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:25 am

It's a meaningless artistic choice. It's never consistent

Lek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lek » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:23 am

I always (since the DB anime) assumed that the stars can freely move inside the ball. As if they are swimming in jelly.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:34 am

mute_proxy wrote:It's a meaningless artistic choice. It's never consistent
Not necessarily. The Dragon Balls "regenerate" with each use. Remember how Yajirobe's drilled Dragon Ball reformed itself after a wish? The star placements are likely a part of that process.
Dragon Ball Super Exciting Guide: Character Volume wrote:How do the Dragon Balls feel to the touch?
I think they have the properties of a hard, natural resin. Even if a hole is drilled in them or they get damaged, after a wish is granted and they disperse, the damage disappears once they return to being orbs, and they become like new.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:41 am

Lek wrote:I always (since the DB anime) assumed that the stars can freely move inside the ball. As if they are swimming in jelly.
Is it because of DBEvolution?
Nejishiki wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:It's a meaningless artistic choice. It's never consistent
Not necessarily. The Dragon Balls "regenerate" with each use. Remember how Yajirobe's drilled Dragon Ball reformed itself after a wish? The star placements are likely a part of that process.
Dragon Ball Super Exciting Guide: Character Volume wrote:How do the Dragon Balls feel to the touch?
I think they have the properties of a hard, natural resin. Even if a hole is drilled in them or they get damaged, after a wish is granted and they disperse, the damage disappears once they return to being orbs, and they become like new.
That could be an in-universe explanation, but outside of that I think it's just a bit of lazyness

Lek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lek » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:47 am

Couldn't be, since I've never seen Evolution

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:48 am

That could be an in-universe explanation, but outside of that I think it's just a bit of lazyness
We're in the In-Universe section of the forum.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:06 am

Nejishiki wrote:
We're in the In-Universe section of the forum.
Well you got me there lol. Your explanation is solid