What happens when people die in Dragon Ball?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

What happens when people die in Dragon Ball?

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:58 am

Now, in real life we just decompose and rot away into nothing, but in DB apparently the bodies of heroes are transported directly to the afterlife. What about the bodies of regular dudes?

Lek
Beyond Newbie

Re: What happens when people die in Dragon Ball?

Post by Lek » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:33 am

According to Dragon Ball, they just rot as well. Bulma had capsules prepared to cool the bodies of Kuririn, Muten Roshi and so on. They explained that they needed to keep the bodies fresh for one year, so that they could be properly revived.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:40 am

Lek wrote:According to Dragon Ball, they just rot as well. Bulma had capsules prepared to cool the bodies of Kuririn, Muten Roshi and so on. They explained that they needed to keep the bodies fresh for one year, so that they could be properly revived.
Why didn't Kami send their bodies to the afterlife to train like Goku? Surely it would have been useful to have them power up considering Piccolo was still around.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:01 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Lek wrote:According to Dragon Ball, they just rot as well. Bulma had capsules prepared to cool the bodies of Kuririn, Muten Roshi and so on. They explained that they needed to keep the bodies fresh for one year, so that they could be properly revived.
Why didn't Kami send their bodies to the afterlife to train like Goku? Surely it would have been useful to have them power up considering Piccolo was still around.
Opportunity of training in the afterlife is supposed to be a rare thing..
Even getting goku to train was a big thing for kami
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:23 pm

Only a warrior who dies defending their planet will be allowed to keep their body in the afterlife and train for eternity.

Muten Roshi, Chiaotzu and arguably Krillin all died defending their planet, but when killed by a Mazoku, your spirit cannot pass on and will wander the earth for eternity.

If you just die a normal death then your body will remain on earth and decompose while your spirit goes to either heaven or hell. In hell it gets cleansed and eventually you are reincarnated, I don't know if the same is true for heaven in DB.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:30 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
They hadn't even met Kami at that point yet, much less proven themselves to him.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:31 pm

Depends on the continuity.

The anime and manga depict it differently.

Also there's differences between Toei's filler and the rest of the anime.

Super also has its retcon of Heaven and Hell.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:39 pm

Their bodies probably decompose like ours do but their souls live on in the Other World.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

swimtrunks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by swimtrunks » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:10 am

I thought I remembered Goku's body fading away after he died. Or I'm guessing that was done by Kami or whoever so he could have his body in afterworld.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:10 pm

They rot away as usual. Hell even the bodies of hero's in dragon ball follow the same rule as well. They just get the bonus of gaining another body in the after life.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:55 pm

swimtrunks wrote:I thought I remembered Goku's body fading away after he died. Or I'm guessing that was done by Kami or whoever so he could have his body in afterworld.
God took Goku's body, yes. Goku needed a physical form to cross the Serpent Road & train with Kaio.