Did Toriyama go too far with Videl's beatdown?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5506
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by Cipher » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:00 am

DragonBallLove wrote:I can see what you say about stereotypes with Otokosuki (albeit I always though he was a specifical Freddy Mercury parody), but whats remotely wrong with those black people depictions FOR A CULTURE WITH NO SLAVERY, SEGREGATION, COON IMAGERY OR BLACKFACES? Historical butthurting, I can understand. But shoving your traumas into others (either people or cultures) is just short-sighted.
Because they imported our offensive-ass racial charicatures and continue to use them without question. That Japan doesn't have the population to cause backlash doesn't mean we have to call it okay. It's this odd situation where you have to simultaneously acknowledge the imagery isn't being invoked with malicious intent, but at the same time it's still othering as shit.

On topic, no. Videl is a well-rounded character, as are most women in Dragon Ball, even if they're a small portion of the cast, and you can't go too far in a scene designed to be horrific (well, within reason).

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6089
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by Kanassa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:02 am

Cipher wrote:
On topic, no. Videl is a well-rounded character, as are most women in Dragon Ball, even if they're a small portion of the cast, and you can't go too far in a scene designed to be horrific (well, within reason).
On that note, in any of the series, did Videl ever get a fight where she wasn't against an opponent that could stomp her easily?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here
Posts: 4020
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:09 am

Kanassa wrote:
Cipher wrote:
On topic, no. Videl is a well-rounded character, as are most women in Dragon Ball, even if they're a small portion of the cast, and you can't go too far in a scene designed to be horrific (well, within reason).
On that note, in any of the series, did Videl ever get a fight where she wasn't against an opponent that could stomp her easily?
Sure, she beats pretty criminals all the time.

User avatar
RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:37 am

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:46 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote: she beats pretty criminals.
typo or....

User avatar
TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here
Posts: 4020
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:09 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote: she beats pretty criminals.
typo or....
Yeah, meant to type petty.

dragonballer
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by dragonballer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:41 pm

kinisking wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Meanwhile none of the main characters are white men, and there has been violence aimed at pretty much all nationalities in Dragonball yet I don't see much complaints.
Not only all nationalities but also aliens :lol: .

dbz killed a entire race of green men and exploded the Earth,it has already gone "too far".

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by DragonBallLove » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:17 am

Cipher wrote:Because they imported...
I have to aknowlege you're right. Other would be the story if they have come to those representations as of themselves.

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6481
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:59 am

Marco Polo wrote:Image
Image
Image

He didn't go too far with Videl's beatdown.
Only one of them is stereotypical humor.

Anyways, no I don't think Toriyama think too far mostly because the beating isn't even that brutal in the manga. I'm honestly glad it happened because it shows Toriyama had fucking balls by letting the readers know true warriors don't see gender when it comes to combat and I'm sick of SJW bullshit in cartoons/anime/manga where the woman aren't allowed to get hit under any circumstances (even when they're asking for it).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:52 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Anyways, no I don't think Toriyama think too far mostly because the beating isn't even that brutal in the manga. I'm honestly glad it happened because it shows Toriyama had fucking balls by letting the readers know true warriors don't see gender when it comes to combat and I'm sick of SJW bullshit in cartoons/anime/manga where the woman aren't allowed to get hit under any circumstances (even when they're asking for it).
Agreed, you have no idea how teeth-grindingly obnoxious it is when I see someone complain about Carol Danvers getting hurt in a fucking superhero comic. You can't be a superhero without getting punched in the face on a daily basis.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here
Posts: 4020
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:45 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Anyways, no I don't think Toriyama think too far mostly because the beating isn't even that brutal in the manga. I'm honestly glad it happened because it shows Toriyama had fucking balls by letting the readers know true warriors don't see gender when it comes to combat and I'm sick of SJW bullshit in cartoons/anime/manga where the woman aren't allowed to get hit under any circumstances (even when they're asking for it).
Agreed, you have no idea how teeth-grindingly obnoxious it is when I see someone complain about Carol Danvers getting hurt in a fucking superhero comic. You can't be a superhero without getting punched in the face on a daily basis.
I'm sure this lunacy will end or at least be subdued when the pendulum swings right.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6089
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:43 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Toriyama had fucking balls by letting the readers know true warriors don't see gender when it comes to combat
Don't think this counts as ballsy back in the day, since none of that bullshit had started back then. Besides, it's still an anime/manga, a portion of fiction notorious for giving no fucks to modern day screams.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21003
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Did Toriyama go too far with Videl's beatdown?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:10 pm

I've never had a problem with Videl's beatdown. I think a lot of people forget that Dragon Ball is a fighting show, and no matter the gender, anything can happen when fisticuffs are thrown.

Hakaishin Saitama
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:31 pm

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by Hakaishin Saitama » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:18 pm

saunasolmu wrote:No. For example Goku's been beaten down much worse in the series. Just because it happened to a woman doesn't suddenly make it misogynistic, as neither does Vegeta getting brutally battered by no.18 make it misandric.
Thinking about it, wouldn't it be misogynistic if Toriyama DIDN'T have Videl get her ass handed to her so badly.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6089
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Hakaishin Saitama wrote:
saunasolmu wrote:No. For example Goku's been beaten down much worse in the series. Just because it happened to a woman doesn't suddenly make it misogynistic, as neither does Vegeta getting brutally battered by no.18 make it misandric.
Thinking about it, wouldn't it be misogynistic if Toriyama DIDN'T have Videl get her ass handed to her so badly.
It's a lose-lose situation. He's either thinking less of her becasuse she;s a woman, or he enjoys violence against woman. WE'RE THE INTERNET, THERE IS NO GREY AREA!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here
Posts: 4020
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Hakaishin Saitama wrote:
saunasolmu wrote:No. For example Goku's been beaten down much worse in the series. Just because it happened to a woman doesn't suddenly make it misogynistic, as neither does Vegeta getting brutally battered by no.18 make it misandric.
Thinking about it, wouldn't it be misogynistic if Toriyama DIDN'T have Videl get her ass handed to her so badly.
It's a lose-lose situation. He's either thinking less of her becasuse she;s a woman, or he enjoys violence against woman. WE'RE THE INTERNET, THERE IS NO GREY AREA!
I don't see anything wrong with this in fiction, I enjoyed that scene quite a bit. Watching Gohan be forced to do nothing as his girl got crushed in front of him was great.

User avatar
nickzambuto
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1528
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:16 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Hakaishin Saitama wrote:
Thinking about it, wouldn't it be misogynistic if Toriyama DIDN'T have Videl get her ass handed to her so badly.
It's a lose-lose situation. He's either thinking less of her becasuse she;s a woman, or he enjoys violence against woman. WE'RE THE INTERNET, THERE IS NO GREY AREA!
I don't see anything wrong with this in fiction, I enjoyed that scene quite a bit. Watching Gohan be forced to do nothing as his girl got crushed in front of him was great.
Yeah I love watching Gohan suffer.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2596
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Did Toriyama go too far with Videl's beatdown?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:16 am

Of course this topic gets political. If I wanted to read about sjw this and feminist that and swinging right or left I'd go on Twitter and Reddit.


No, compared to having a 5 year old's neck snapped having a teenage girl,who is shown to be the 2nd strongest female character (strongest without enhancements) and probably the strongest non Z-Warrior, getting beat up is nothing. Especially when male characters have taken far worse.


Hell if you wanted to argue about misogyny or sexism in Dragon Ball you'd have a better time arguing about the overt sexualization of Bulma, a teenage girl, in the early parts of Dragon Ball. And that eventually stopped, thank god.

User avatar
Lord Frieza
I Live Here
Posts: 3706
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: Did Toriyama go too far with Videl's beatdown?

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:39 pm

I always though it was to Videl's credit that despite how powerful her enemy is and how badly she was hurt she never backed down and kept fighting until she had nothing left.

She is not portrayed as meek, submissive or fragile nor is she loosing to Spopovich because he's a man. She is a women fighting against a foe who has given up his humanity for power, who is trying to kill her and she will not give up.

When she starts crying in the anime thats not to show women are weak and besides other characters in times of deep emotional distress such as Vegeta, Trunks and Gohan have cried to.

Hardly a piss-poor representation of a women's fighting sprite.

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5911
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Did Toriyama go too far with Videl's beatdown?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:50 am

As has been said many times in the thread already, this is a series where much worse things have happened. And there's really nothing here we haven't seen before. We've seen people knocked around. We've seen people picked up by the hair. We've seen people have their teeth knocked out. No, there's certainly nothing in Videl's beatdown itself that makes it misogynistic. There are definitely some points that are pretty brutal, especially for what we typically seen in a tournament match. And Spopovitch certainly goes too far in places, especially when he actually stops her from falling out of bounds just so he can beat on her some more. But I don't think it should make a difference whether it's Videl or any other character in her place.

What I think is pretty sexist is the way it's portrayed by the story and perceived by the characters. The whole thing gives off this vibe of "women are delicate flowers, and we know Spopovitch is evil because he dares to beat up a woman... in a fighting tournament." The real kicker, the one that makes me throw up my hands in disgust is when Gohan actually says, "He's not going to go easy on her just because she's a girl!" Oh, is that how it works? Wow. It's amazing we don't see more women in the Budoukai finals because they appear to have an incredible advantage if their male opponents are expected to "go easy on them" unless they're possessed by evil magic. Geez, at least when Namu fell into that stereotype, it was treated as something he had to overcome!

So Toriyama is certainly writing this fight of violence that doesn't even match up to violence levels we've seen perpetrated against young children as if we're supposed to believe it's going too far. That it's completely horrific, but mostly just because the recipient is a woman.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 9/14/20!)
Current Episode: Videl and Violence in Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 7!

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: Did Toriyama go too far with Videl's beatdown?

Post by Gokuman1993 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:46 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:As has been said many times in the thread already, this is a series where much worse things have happened. And there's really nothing here we haven't seen before. We've seen people knocked around. We've seen people picked up by the hair. We've seen people have their teeth knocked out. No, there's certainly nothing in Videl's beatdown itself that makes it misogynistic. There are definitely some points that are pretty brutal, especially for what we typically seen in a tournament match. And Spopovitch certainly goes too far in places, especially when he actually stops her from falling out of bounds just so he can beat on her some more. But I don't think it should make a difference whether it's Videl or any other character in her place.

What I think is pretty sexist is the way it's portrayed by the story and perceived by the characters. The whole thing gives off this vibe of "women are delicate flowers, and we know Spopovitch is evil because he dares to beat up a woman... in a fighting tournament." The real kicker, the one that makes me throw up my hands in disgust is when Gohan actually says, "He's not going to go easy on her just because she's a girl!" Oh, is that how it works? Wow. It's amazing we don't see more women in the Budoukai finals because they appear to have an incredible advantage if their male opponents are expected to "go easy on them" unless they're possessed by evil magic. Geez, at least when Namu fell into that stereotype, it was treated as something he had to overcome!

So Toriyama is certainly writing this fight of violence that doesn't even match up to violence levels we've seen perpetrated against young children as if we're supposed to believe it's going too far. That it's completely horrific, but mostly just because the recipient is a woman.
I agree with you there, Gaffer.

I mean, yeah, the fight between Videl and Sopopovitch did go a bit too far in places (like him stopping her from going out of bounds, as you mentioned), but looking back on it, everyone's response to it could've been more "She can barely fight anymore! You already won! Please stop!" and less "How dare you attack a girl in a martial arts tournament?!"

Like, seriously, Gohan. We know you like her and you don't particularly like violence in general and all, but you should know that you're in a fighting tournament and that Videl was already pretty tough and skilled, especially since you trained her!

Post Reply