Dr. Gero confusion

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Dr. Gero confusion

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:39 pm

This could be a dub mistake for all I know.

In the dub, Trunks asks Goku if he remembered Dr. Gero and Goku replies with something along the lines of "I thought I defeated that guy". Now its been a while since I've watched Dragonball, but I dont remember Gero ever even being mentioned in the series. The first time I even remember hearing his name is when Trunks arrived. The only doctor in Dragonball I remember is Dr. Frappe, and wasnt he filler?

I could be totaly forgetting a part of the original series. But to my knowledge, Trunks was the first to even bring up Gero. Am I going completley nuts here?

Ricochet0082
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ricochet0082 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:57 pm

No, you're not nuts at all. Trunks is the first to mention Dr. Gero in the series. I think in the FUNimation dub they consider him a general in the Red Ribbon Army at one point. They also considered Taopaipai a general of the RR Army as well. Sloppy work on FUNi's part.
"Somebody call Guinness. I'm about to go from zero to drunk in twenty dollars." - DIVX

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:19 pm

I think what happened in the dub was that while watching the episodes, they came across a brief flash-back sequence of the Red Ribbon army (unnarated) and it pictured Tao Pai-pai, and Commander Red from behind.

Since the scene offered no context for those who hadn't seen it, and Funimation had not yet dubbed the Red Ribbon Army saga, they began drawing some pretty wild conclusions. Mistaking Tao as a general, and thinking that Red was a young Dr. Gero.

Grandmaster J
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Grandmaster J » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:35 am

Well, either that, or Goku said "I defeated them" because Trunks mentioned the Red Ribbon Army while talking about Dr. Gero. Goku didn't even know who Gero was until that episode. He just knew who the Red Ribbon Army was. I agree though that it would've helped a little if Gero was mentioned at least once in the Dragon Ball series.
Last edited by Grandmaster J on Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:37 pm

Cool, something I know the answer to!

From what I remember from the dub, Trunks says something like "He's Doctor Gero, part of the former Red Ribbon Army." To which Goku replies "But I defeated them." not Dr. Gero directly. Note in DB when Goku destroys the RR HQ, he just runs on in and just whooped whoever was in the way. Unlike stuff in the latter series, this is actually fast paced, with no one introducing themselves before fighting Goku.

So yeah, Trunks was the first one to bring up Gero.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:30 pm

You see a large group of soldiers, scientists, etc. escaping the base because of Goku's arrival and battles there. Roshi and Krillin ask him if he is going to go after them and finish them all off, but Goku says no. Says those that wish to not fight and leave he will allow to do so. I was always under the assumption that Gero was in that group.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:48 am

Akira wrote:I was always under the assumption that Gero was in that group.
Yes. He was the one slowly and evilly walking away, twisting his (then) little black mustache, and sneering "Curses, foiled again! I shall have my revenge!"
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:40 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Akira wrote:I was always under the assumption that Gero was in that group.
Yes. He was the one slowly and evilly walking away, twisting his (then) little black mustache, and sneering "Curses, foiled again! I shall have my revenge!"
:lol:

FUNi's dub really messed me up when I saw the Android saga, because whether or not Goku really does say he specifically defeated Dr. Gero in the dub (too lazy to check my DVD just now), I took it as that, and expected to see a younger Gero in the original DragonBall. I remember flipping through volume 6 of Viz's old graphic novels and going "Uhhh... where's Gero? Where's Gero? Enough of Ninja Murasaki, I want to see Gero!"

And as for the flashback scene (I believe it was Roshi explaining the defeat of the RR Army to Marron/Marin/Whateverhernameis... ah, screw it, Kuririn's whore girlfriend), they made Tao Pai Pai out to be the LEADER of the Army, as I recall. Well, I guess that's just the conclusion anyone would draw from a flashback (without narration? Again, too lazy to check the DVD), but why GO TO THE TROUBLE of being sloppy with the story?
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:53 am

It's been a long time since I've seen that bit dubbed, but I do distinctly remember the impression that they were either stating or implying that Gero and Red were the same guy. Actually, I think it wasn't that they showed Red and said THIS IS DR. GERO. I think they just said Dr. Gero lead the RR, and then showed the flashback with Red.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

scottdahl

Post by scottdahl » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:26 pm

You shouldn't trust anything the dub says.
Scott

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:57 pm

scottdahl wrote:You shouldn't trust anything the dub says.
You mean Goku's not really a Saiya-jin? And Vegeta and Bulma don't have a kid? And the Dragon Balls don't really grant your wish when you gather them? I could go on and on and on. Thank you for informing me on this shocking revelation. :roll:

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:26 pm

Basically I think he was reffering to the RR army in general, I mean no-one could be expected to remember every single person they defeated, least of all Goku.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:04 pm

Taku128 wrote:And the Dragon Balls don't really grant your wish when you gather them?
I could be the bigger dork by saying they don't.

You need to summon Shenlong or Porunga properly before getting your wish. 8D

Anywho, I've got the DVD, so I'll pretty much post up what's said.

Japanese Dialogue
Trunks - They will be monsters, both possessing a power so great, it will be unthinkable that they are of this world.
Goku - Who are they? Aliens?
Trunks - No. They are born of Earth. They are Artificial Humans, sometimes called Cyborgs.
Trunks - They were created by a maniacal scientist, formerly of the Red Ribbon Army, named Doctor Gero.
Goku - Red Ribbon Army!?

English Dialogue
Trunks - Once this pair surfaces, the Earth and everything you know, will be gone for good!
Goku - What's the deal? Are they aliens?
Trunks - No! They're both androids created right here on Earth! Their creator is Gero!
Trunks - Doctor Gero, the mastermind responsible for the old Red Ribbon Army!
Trunks - Do you remember?
Goku - Yeah! I defeated them!

Couple of things to note here.

1) Trunks flat out says in the original that they're known as "Jinzoningen" (which translates to Artificial Humans) and that they're sometimes known as Cyborgs (he literally says the English term in the dialogue). Trunks in the dub refers to them as Androids.

2) In the original, Trunks says Dr. Gero is a scientist from the former Red Ribbon Army. In the dub, he says that Gero's the mastermind behind the army. Goku's "I defeated them" is in reference to the army itself.

My guess is that FUNi didn't even bother checking back on Dragon Ball at the time to really get a good backstory on the Red Ribbon Army and assumed Gero was an already existing character who they never arrived at with the 13 out of 153 episodes of Dragon Ball that were dubbed.

It would also explain them pulling the whole "General Tao" bit out of their asses. It seems more logical of an answer of them being too lazy to actually look back rather than changing things for the sake of it (that's 4Kids' job) or not translating things properly (though this has happened a few times).
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:49 am

It does make a lot of sense. Funimation probably didnt even bother to check references while writting the dub script. It would certianly explain a lot of things.

ChaotixXero
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChaotixXero » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Yep, Goku met Bulma when he was 5 years old. That confused me as a child :( .

scottdahl

Post by scottdahl » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:53 pm

Taku128 wrote:
You mean Goku's not really a Saiya-jin? And Vegeta and Bulma don't have a kid? And the Dragon Balls don't really grant your wish when you gather them? I could go on and on and on. Thank you for informing me on this shocking revelation. :roll:
Funimation didn't write those things Akira Toriya did.
Scott

MartianOddity
Beyond Newbie

Post by MartianOddity » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:43 pm

scottdahl wrote:
Taku128 wrote:
Funimation didn't write those things Akira Toriya did.
That was sarcasm, son.

The dub can indeed be messy sometimes. Why couldn't they just check things up properly? They would've saved the DBZ fanbase a lot of misunderstandings.
Good people last longer!

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:36 am

Yep, Goku met Bulma when he was 5 years old. That confused me as a child .
Technically he was 12, but he was a little shrimp so it's understandable,=.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:48 pm

scottdahl wrote:Funimation didn't write those things Akira Toriya did.
Who? :P

And I hope you were being sarcastic... :roll:
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:30 pm

In the dub, everybody makes Dr Gero out to be the funder of the Red Ribbon army.

When they talk about Dr Gero they say that he created the androids to act as an army as when he created the army it was defeated by a small boy( Goku ) so he spent the rest of his days creating an android powerfull enough to take over the world by itself.

Even though he created more then one heh, the dub is unreliable to the original manga so it can not be taken as truth.
- Scott