Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
GreatSaiyaman123
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:59 am
Location: Somewhere beyond the sea

Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:04 pm

We all know the Dragon Ball Z Movies are what if scenarios, and non-canon for the manga. But where do they fit? Can any of them fit on the timeline? On this post, i'll analyze the placement each movie have and the fate each alternate universe had.
PS: I didn't rewatched the movies to be sure, lots of things i'm saying here are from my memory.

MOVIE 1: DEAD ZONE
-Released on July 15, 1989.
-On the movie, Gohan is kidnapped by the main villian, and Goku and Piccolo must team up to fight someone related to the past of one of them, clearly a alternate scenario for Raditz Saga. Also, Bulma - who is always changing clothes and haircut - is wearing the same clothes and haircut she used on BoZ and Daizenshuu 6 states it's before Raditz arrival.
-Some people think the movie fit on the timeline, but it doesn't due to Krillin not recognizing Gohan in Raditz Arc and Goku and Piccolo having the same talk about weighted clothes, but those details were probably retconned, because there is an Arc on the anime about Garlic Jr's revenge.
Scenario (Retcon ignored): Raditz never arrived/Arrived later.
Fate (Retcon ignored): If Raditz is never arriving, everybody is killed by the Androids, Babidi takes Buu egg, Cell wakes up and turns Perfect, meets Dabura and they fight until Buu wakes up and the universe is doomed until Beerus wakes up. If Raditz is just arriving later, nothing significant changes.

MOVIE 2,3 AND 4: THE WORLD'S STRONGEST, THE THREE OF MIGHT AND LORD SLUG
-Released on March 10, 1990; July 7, 1990 and March 9, 1991.
-On M2, Piccolo is alive, but Gohan have a flashback of Piccolo dying and on M3, the other humans are alive and Yamcha have Kaio's emblem, but since Vegeta is not around and Goku can't turn SSJ, it's a what if scenario during the time everybody should be on Namek. It seems to bee a scenario where Vegeta and Nappa turned out their scouters while talking about the DBs and Freeza never went to Namek, since everybody seems to be alive but not as strong as they where on Trunks Arc. Also, when Kaio is talking about Slug's power, he says "Even Freeza can't defeat him", instead of "Even Freeza couldn't defeat him", which implies Freeza is alive.
-Also, when Slug is reading Bulma's mind we see a memory of Shenlong being summoned on Movie 3, which implies this is a sequel. Movie 2 being part of this series is just a guess, but fits nicely.
Scenario: If Freeza never went to Namek
Fate: Everybody is killed by the Androids

MOVIE 5: COOLER'S REVENGE
-Released on July 20, 1991.
-Lots of people think this movie fit on the begining of the 3 years of training, but Goku likely don't have IT and had some trouble to turn SSJ, so he never went to Yardrat and probably didn't turned SSJ against Freeza, or didn't mastered yet. Also, Vegeta isn't around.
-Scenario: If the Spirit Bomb killed Freeza
-Fate: Future Gohan goes back on time and Trunks is never born, but Buu never wakes up because Vegea isn't there to screw up.

MOVIE 6: THE RETURN OF COOLER
-Released on March 7, 1992.
-Semi Canon. Yes, you read right, Cooler's revenge kind fit on the timeline. Goku is the only one to see Vegeta as a SSJ, and Kami much probably give up being God for some reason, since Piccolo is likely weaker than the SSJs.
-Scenario: If Cooler was canon and if Kami gived up being god.
-Fate: Nothing changes, at best Cooler is mentioned on FnF or something.

MOVIE 7: SUPER ANDROID 13
-Released on July 11, 1992.
-17 is saw on the begining killing Gero, but he's not around. Also, anyone entered on the Rosat and Piccolo seems to be stronger than the SSJs. When Piccolo was fighting the Androids Vegeta was on the Rosat with Trunks, so it's seems like Goku never mentioned the Rosat here and everybody went to help Piccolo and they defeat the Androids on a team up. Also, Piccolo killed Cell when they first meet.
-Scenario: If Piccolo killed Cell and Goku never mentioned Rosat.
-Fate: Everybody dies horribly against Dabura

MOVIE 8: BROLY - THE LEGENDARY SUPER SAIYAN
-Released on March 6, 1993
-Lots of people think this movie is during the 10 days of waiting, but Goku and Gohan are on base at the begining of the movie, and why no one mentions Cell? Trunks would say that isn't a good idea leaving the planet while Cell is around, and Piccolo went to New Planet Vegeta after he heard the fight, so why didn't Cell went there to? He would love to fight Broly. Goku is around Super Vegeta's level here, and Gohan looks younger and much weaker than everyone here. Probably 18 was deactivated by Krillin (That's why he is singing romantic songs, he is sad because he had to kill the only woman he loved) and Goku focused the Rosat training more on him and left earlier.
-Scenario: If Krillin deactivated 18, Goku focused Rosat trainig on him and left earlier and Piccolo trained on the Rosat.
-Fate: Die against Dabura.

MOVIE 9: BOJACK UNBOUND
-Released on July 10, 1993.
-Canon again. It's a few days after the Cell Games. Trunks has a long hair and Bulma said he killed the Androids, but says nothing about Cell. Also, Goku is dead and Gohan can turn SSJ2.

MOVIE 10: BROLY - SECOND COMING
-Released on March 12, 1994.
-Same case from Movie 6: Semi Canon. Nothing here implies the movie isn't canon. It's during the training for the 25th Budokai, due to Gohan's clothes.
-Scenario: If Broly was canon
-Fate: Nothing changes.

MOVIE 11: BIO-BROLY
-Released on July 9, 1994.
-Movie 10 is canon here, and 25th Budokai already happened because 18 didn't recived Satan's money yet. Right after the Tournament the kids went to fight Buu, after that the only moment it could fit is after the Buu Arc, where the kids know the fusion dance.
-Scenario: If M8 and 10 was canon and Babidi was defeated before Buu's awakening.
-Fate: Goku and Vegeta are dead, Goten and Trunks never learns fusion dance, Satan never become friends with Buu and Gohan never has his potential unlocked.

MOVIE 12: FUSION REBORN
-Released on March 4, 1995.
-Goku and Vegeta are death here and Gohan is not Ultimate. This could fit on the 2 days the kids were learning the fusion, but it doesn't fit because Buu isn't around and Gotenks uses the Kamikaze Ghost attack. It's probably a scenario were Gotenks got serious and killed Buu before Gohan had his potential unlocked.
-Scenario: If Gotenks managed to kill Super Buu.
-Fate: Goku and Vegeta are dead and Gohan never has his potential unlocked.

MOVIE 13: WRATH OF THE DRAGON
-Released on July 15, 1995.
-Canon, right after Pure Buu's defeat. Alive Goku and Vegeta, SSJ3 Gotenks, Chou Gohan are all there. It fits perfectly, just like Bojack Unbound.
Last edited by GreatSaiyaman123 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

User avatar
TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here
Posts: 4020
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:19 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: MOVIE 8: BROLY - THE LEGENDARY SUPER SAIYAN
-Released on March 6, 1993
-Lots of people think this movie is during the 10 days of waiting, but Goku and Gohan are on base at the begining of the movie, and why no one mentions Cell? Trunks would say that isn't a good idea leaving the planet while Cell is around, and Piccolo went to New Planet Vegeta after he heard the fight, so why didn't Cell went there to? He would love to fight Broly. Goku is around Super Vegeta's level here, and Gohan looks younger and much weaker than everyone here. Probably 18 was deactivated by Krillin (That's why he is singing romantic songs, he is sad because he had to kill the only woman he loved) and Goku focused the Rosat training more on him and left earlier.
-Scenario: If Krillin deactivated 18, Goku focused Rosat trainig on him and left earlier and Piccolo trained on the Rosat.
-Fate: Die against Dabura.
Goku was far above Super Vegeta, he was keeping up with SSJ Broly in base whereas SSJ Broly tanked SSJ Vegeta's kick without even noticing it.
MOVIE 12: FUSION REBORN
-Released on March 4, 1995.
-Goku and Vegeta are death here and Gohan is not Ultimate. This could fit on the 2 days the kids were learning the fusion, but it doesn't fit because Buu isn't around and Gotenks uses the Kamikaze Ghost attack. It's probably a scenario were Gotenks got serious and killed Buu before Gohan had his potential unlocked.
-Scenario: If Gotenks managed to kill Super Buu.
-Fate: Goku and Vegeta are dead and Gohan never has his potential unlocked.
Gohan powers up into his Ultimate state to one punch Freeza, he had his potential unlocked.

Zephyr
I Live Here
Posts: 3566
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by Zephyr » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:03 am

Move 5 works well enough if you assume it takes place in the "Future" timeline, where Goku later dies of a heart virus. Movie 7 works well enough if you assume that it takes place in the unseen timeline that Trunks returns from just before Cell kills him and steals his time machine. Movies 9 and 13 work well enough in the core continuity/main timeline.

The rest of them are too dicey to work, if memory serves; but I like to imagine that they take place across three different continuities:

1. Gohan's hidden power is made known much earlier than in the core continuity (thanks to Movie 1). This results in the battle against Nappa and Vegeta taking less of a toll on Goku, allowing him to travel to Namek right away, allowing Freeza to be defeated without transforming, because of reasons. Movies 2, 3, and 4 would follow.

2. Movie 6. That shit's ridiculous.

3. Instead of caving to Cell's temptations, Vegeta opts to destroy him. With the crisis averted, Gohan's training is cut short. Movie 8 happens. Turns out Cell survived, and ambushes 18 after regaining his strength. Gohan finishes his training, Cell Games happen, Goku dies, etc. Movie 10 happens. Babidi's shenanigans cut the Budokai short, and Vegeta dies against Buu. Instead of relying on the kids, Goku takes it upon himself to destroy Buu. He returns to the afterlife. Movie 11 happens, followed by Movie 12.

User avatar
Black Hawk
Regular
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:09 pm
Location: Beacon Academy

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by Black Hawk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:48 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:Gohan powers up into his Ultimate state to one punch Freeza, he had his potential unlocked.
I don't mean to be "that guy/gal", but Gohan-kun was not depicted as having been Chou Gohan-kun when he eliminated Freeza.
Image
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

User avatar
TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here
Posts: 4020
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:49 pm

Black Hawk wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:Gohan powers up into his Ultimate state to one punch Freeza, he had his potential unlocked.
I don't mean to be "that guy/gal", but Gohan-kun was not depicted as having been Chou Gohan-kun when he eliminated Freeza.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Why do you think so? Because his eyes aren't fully outlined?

User avatar
Black Hawk
Regular
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:09 pm
Location: Beacon Academy

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by Black Hawk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:01 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:Why do you think so? Because his eyes aren't fully outlined?
At least back before the series' revival in 2008, Toei was very consistent with Gohan-kun's appearance with regard to his power-up. In Movie 12, he's only ever depicted with his normal eyes and his normal bang complete with the stray strand of hair, like when he trained with Goten prior to the tournament. In Movie 13, he's portrayed in his power-up (once he powers up, that is) with his "serious eyes" and his Super Saiyajin 2-esque bang without a stray strand of hair.

Again, I did not mean to be "that guy/gal" and I apologize for the admittedly somewhat off-topic interjection.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

User avatar
TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here
Posts: 4020
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Black Hawk wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:Why do you think so? Because his eyes aren't fully outlined?
At least back before the series' revival in 2008, Toei was very consistent with Gohan-kun's appearance with regard to his power-up. In Movie 12, he's only ever depicted with his normal eyes and his normal bang complete with the stray strand of hair, like when he trained with Goten prior to the tournament. In Movie 13, he's portrayed in his power-up (once he powers up, that is) with his "serious eyes" and his Super Saiyajin 2-esque bang without a stray strand of hair.

Again, I did not mean to be "that guy/gal" and I apologize for the admittedly somewhat off-topic interjection.
It's fine. I suppose Gohan may have been in his normal state after all.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6210
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:02 pm

I'm pretty sure Daizenshuu 6 points exactly when all movies take place in the timeline, it'd be cool if someone has a link to the old Kanzentai website, I think it's all there for us to see.

User avatar
GreatSaiyaman123
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:59 am
Location: Somewhere beyond the sea

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:53 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: MOVIE 8: BROLY - THE LEGENDARY SUPER SAIYAN
-Released on March 6, 1993
-Lots of people think this movie is during the 10 days of waiting, but Goku and Gohan are on base at the begining of the movie, and why no one mentions Cell? Trunks would say that isn't a good idea leaving the planet while Cell is around, and Piccolo went to New Planet Vegeta after he heard the fight, so why didn't Cell went there to? He would love to fight Broly. Goku is around Super Vegeta's level here, and Gohan looks younger and much weaker than everyone here. Probably 18 was deactivated by Krillin (That's why he is singing romantic songs, he is sad because he had to kill the only woman he loved) and Goku focused the Rosat training more on him and left earlier.
-Scenario: If Krillin deactivated 18, Goku focused Rosat trainig on him and left earlier and Piccolo trained on the Rosat.
-Fate: Die against Dabura.
Goku was far above Super Vegeta, he was keeping up with SSJ Broly in base whereas SSJ Broly tanked SSJ Vegeta's kick without even noticing it.
MOVIE 12: FUSION REBORN
-Released on March 4, 1995.
-Goku and Vegeta are death here and Gohan is not Ultimate. This could fit on the 2 days the kids were learning the fusion, but it doesn't fit because Buu isn't around and Gotenks uses the Kamikaze Ghost attack. It's probably a scenario were Gotenks got serious and killed Buu before Gohan had his potential unlocked.
-Scenario: If Gotenks managed to kill Super Buu.
-Fate: Goku and Vegeta are dead and Gohan never has his potential unlocked.
Gohan powers up into his Ultimate state to one punch Freeza, he had his potential unlocked.
Broly was restrained while fighting Goku, and Goku was really surprised when Broly tanked Vegeta's kick.

He didn't look to be his Ultimate form. On this movie Gohan in base is > Freeza, or Freeza was suppressed.
Zephyr wrote:Movie 5 works well enough if you assume it takes place in the "Future" timeline, where Goku later dies of a heart virus. Movie 7 works well enough if you assume that it takes place in the unseen timeline that Trunks returns from just before Cell kills him and steals his time machine. Movies 9 and 13 work well enough in the core continuity/main timeline.

The rest of them are too dicey to work, if memory serves; but I like to imagine that they take place across three different continuities:

1. Gohan's hidden power is made known much earlier than in the core continuity (thanks to Movie 1). This results in the battle against Nappa and Vegeta taking less of a toll on Goku, allowing him to travel to Namek right away, allowing Freeza to be defeated without transforming, because of reasons. Movies 2, 3, and 4 would follow.

2. Movie 6. That shit's ridiculous.

3. Instead of caving to Cell's temptations, Vegeta opts to destroy him. With the crisis averted, Gohan's training is cut short. Movie 8 happens. Turns out Cell survived, and ambushes 18 after regaining his strength. Gohan finishes his training, Cell Games happen, Goku dies, etc. Movie 10 happens. Babidi's shenanigans cut the Budokai short, and Vegeta dies against Buu. Instead of relying on the kids, Goku takes it upon himself to destroy Buu. He returns to the afterlife. Movie 11 happens, followed by Movie 12.
I don't see any reason to Trunks traveling on time change Cooler's arrival. Even if changed, i think Cooler would take control of Freeza's imperor instead of Sorbet, or at least be mentioned on FnF. Movie 7 can't fit on the unseen timeline, since Piccolo is fused with Kami here.

1. That depends on how later Raditz arrived (If he arrives at all). I don't think if he arrived some days/weeks later it could make a difference at all. It would take a time to convince Chi-Chi and turns Gohan in a real figher.

2) What's the problem with movie 6? I actually liked, it's not like Movie 11 or something.

3) If Vegeta managed to kill Cell, he would have killed 18 too, Krillin can't stop him and Trunks would be on Vegeta's side. Also, Goku and Gohan wouldn't left the Rosat earlier because Vegeta killed Cell, they can't sense anything that happens on the outside. Maybe Gohan left the Rosat to see how things where going outside, and after he saw Vegeta killed Cell he didn't returned and Goku take it easy on the training.
Grimlock wrote:I'm pretty sure Daizenshuu 6 points exactly when all movies take place in the timeline, it'd be cool if someone has a link to the old Kanzentai website, I think it's all there for us to see.
Yeah, but it was pretty vague. It say things like "Lord Slug takes place when Goku should be on Namek" and never say about what happen to things go different.
Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

User avatar
TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here
Posts: 4020
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:56 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: MOVIE 8: BROLY - THE LEGENDARY SUPER SAIYAN
-Released on March 6, 1993
-Lots of people think this movie is during the 10 days of waiting, but Goku and Gohan are on base at the begining of the movie, and why no one mentions Cell? Trunks would say that isn't a good idea leaving the planet while Cell is around, and Piccolo went to New Planet Vegeta after he heard the fight, so why didn't Cell went there to? He would love to fight Broly. Goku is around Super Vegeta's level here, and Gohan looks younger and much weaker than everyone here. Probably 18 was deactivated by Krillin (That's why he is singing romantic songs, he is sad because he had to kill the only woman he loved) and Goku focused the Rosat training more on him and left earlier.
-Scenario: If Krillin deactivated 18, Goku focused Rosat trainig on him and left earlier and Piccolo trained on the Rosat.
-Fate: Die against Dabura.
Goku was far above Super Vegeta, he was keeping up with SSJ Broly in base whereas SSJ Broly tanked SSJ Vegeta's kick without even noticing it.
Broly was restrained while fighting Goku, and Goku was really surprised when Broly tanked Vegeta's kick.
In Movie 10 Base Gohan fights almost evenly with an unrestrained SSJ Broly, and Buu Arc Gohan is barely stronger than Cell Arc Goku.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2441
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:06 pm

Aren't movie 5 and 8 the only ones that can reasonably fit in the timeline pre-Battle of the Gods?

User avatar
GreatSaiyaman123
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:59 am
Location: Somewhere beyond the sea

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:25 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote: Goku was far above Super Vegeta, he was keeping up with SSJ Broly in base whereas SSJ Broly tanked SSJ Vegeta's kick without even noticing it.
Broly was restrained while fighting Goku, and Goku was really surprised when Broly tanked Vegeta's kick.
In Movie 10 Base Gohan fights almost evenly with an unrestrained SSJ Broly, and Buu Arc Gohan is barely stronger than Cell Arc Goku.
That was Toei's hyperbole, Gohan would never hold is own against a SSJ Broly on his base if logic is allowed. Also, Goku fighting RSSJ Broly was also non-sense, IIRC he or Kaio stated Regular SSJ Broly is way out of their league, and even if RSSJ was like 2x Goku would be crushed.
MasenkoHA wrote:Aren't movie 5 and 8 the only ones that can reasonably fit in the timeline pre-Battle of the Gods?
Like Dead Zone, it could be if you ignore some details, like Goku not using IT and having trouble to turn SSJ on M5, or Goku and Gohan at base and being much weaker than on the Cell Games on M8.
Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:37 pm

Although each movie has something that prevents them from fully fitting in the timeline, this is where I think they fit.

M1 : Before Raditz.

M2-6 : During the 3 year wait for the androids.

M7 : After Goku tells Vegeta about the ROSAT but before they go there.

M8 : During the 10 day wait for the Cell games.

M9 : After the Cell games.

M10 : During the wait for the 25th Tenkaichi after Gohan taught Vedil how to fly.

M11 : There's no such thing.

M12 : An alternate timeline where Buu was defeated by Gotenks.

M13 : After Kid Buu's defeat.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Nejishiki
I Live Here
Posts: 2406
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:45 am

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Grimlock wrote:I'm pretty sure Daizenshuu 6 points exactly when all movies take place in the timeline,
[spoiler]
Dragon Ball Daizenshuu 6 wrote:DB The Movie No. 1
"The Legend of Shenlong"

[...]
It's about the same as on TV up until Goku and Bulma meet. However, with the confrontation with the Gurumes Army who are seeking the four-star-ball and so on, it's probably appropriate to consider this the events of a completely different world from the TV show.

DB THE MOVIE NO. 2
"The Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle"

[...]
Goku and Kuririn entering as pupils under Kame-sennin and Yamcha's objective in searching for the dragonballs are the same as the TV show. But points like training by searching for the Sleeping Princess and the timeframe don't synch with the TV show.

DB THE MOVIE NO. 3
"Mystical Great Adventure"

[...]
This work is notable for its many points of difference with the TV series, such as the social position which Tenshinhan and Chaozu are set up in, the existence of the Miphan Empire, the opening of the great martial arts tournament. It's a drama set in a completely different world than the TV series.

DBZ THE MOVIE NO. 1
"Return My Gohan!!"

[...]
  • 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai
  • Return My Gohan!!
  • Raditz attacks!!
Due to the appearance of young Gohan, this is unmistakably after Goku and Chi Chi wed. But due to the fact that Goku, who dies in the battle with Raditz, is alive, this must be an event before Raditz attacked.

DBZ THE MOVIE NO. 2
"The World's Strongest Guy"

[...]
  • Vegeta attacks
    The World's Strongest Guy
    Goku arrives on Planet Namek
From Goku's dougi having the "Kame" mark on the breast and a "Kaio" mark on the back, it seems this is an event from between the battle with Vegeta and Goku's arrival on Planet Namek. However, there are also inconsistencies like Gohan being on Earth when he should be in the middle of fighting on Planet Namek.

DBZ THE MOVIE NO. 3
"Super Decisive Battle for Earth"

[...]
  • Goku arrives on Planet Namek
    Super Decisive Battle for Earth
    Final showdown with Freeza
From the "Go" mark on the breast and back of Goku's dougi, it seems that this is a story from after Goku arrived on Planet Namek. However, there are inconsistencies like the stage being set on Earth, that make it fair to say that this is a movie-only story.

DBZ THE MOVIE NO. 4
"Super Saiyan Son Goku"

[...]
  • Goku arrives on Planet Namek
    Super Saiyan Son Goku
    Goku transforms into a Super Saiyan

From the fact that Goku has not yet become a Super Saiyan, this story takes place before the final showdown with Freeza. However, at this time Goku should be in the midst of his battle on Planet Namek... This must also be a movie inconsistency.

DBZ THE MOVIE NO. 5
"The Incredible Strongest vs Strongest"

[...]
Trunks appears
The Incredible Strongest vs Strongest
The artificial humans appear

In the movie, Kame-sennin says "Ever since Goku returned from Planet Namek..." From this we can be sure that this is an event during the three years from when Trunks appeared to the arrival of the artificial humans.

DBZ THE MOVIE NO. 6
"Clash!! 10,000,000,000 Powerful Warriors"

[...]
  • The announcement of the Cell Games
    Clash!! 10,000,000,000 Powerful Warriors
    The curtain rises on the Cell Games

From Goku's mark-less dougi, Kami being Dende, and Vegeta transforming into a Super Saiyan, we can infer that this is an event from between when the Cell Games were announced and their opening.

DBZ THE MOVIE NO. 7
"Extreme Battle!! The Three Great Super Saiyan"

[...]
  • Doctor Gero dies
    Extreme Battle!! The Three Great Super Saiyan
    Cell transforms into his perfect form

The time period can be inferred from the fact that Doctor Gero is exterminated during the course of the film, and that Gohan can not yet become a Super Saiyan. However, at that time frame Goku was either passed out from his contagious disease, or in the middle of training in the Room of Spirit and Time. It can be said that these are the events of a parallel world.

DBZ THE MOVIE NO. 8
"Burn Up!! A Close - Intense - Super-Fierce Battle"

[...]
  • Cell transforms into his perfect form
    Burn Up!! A Close - Intense - Super-Fierce Battle
    Cell Games conclude

From the fact that Gohan becomes a Super Saiyan, it seems that this is an event from around the time of the final showdown with Cell. However, at the same time it's a mystery why Goku and the others are leisurely having a cherry blossom viewing when they should be stressed for the battle with Cell...

DBZ THE MOVIE NO. 9
"The Galaxy at the Brink!! The Super Incredible Guy"

[...]
  • Goku dies in the explosion together with Cell
    The Galaxy at the Brink!! The Super Incredible Guy
    Gohan becomes a high school student

In the film, it's said that the future Trunks has obliterated Artificial Humans No. 17 and No. 18. From this we can infer that the battle with Bojack was an event that happened several months after the Cell Games.

DBZ THE MOVIE NO. 10
"The Dangerous Duo! Super-Warriors Can't Rest"

[...]
  • The Cell Games conclude
    The Dangerous Duo! Super-Warriors Can't Rest
    The 25th Tenkaichi Budoukai

We can infer from Videl's hairstyle and the fact that Goku is dead that this is right before the 25th Tenkaichi Budoukai.

DBZ THE MOVIE NO. 11
"Super-Warrior Defeat!! I'm the One Who'll Win"

[...]
  • The 25th Tenkaichi Budoukai concludes
    Super-Warrior Defeat!! I'm the One Who'll Win
    The showdown with Majin Buu

From the fact that during the movie No. 18 presses Mister Satan to hand over the prize money, this must be after the conclusion of the 25th Tenkaichi Budoukai. However, during this time frame the super warriors should be extremely busy in the battle with Majin Buu... So, it's a movie-only story.

DBZ THE MOVIE NO. 12
"Rebirth of Fusion!! Goku and Vegeta"

[...]
  • Goku transforms into a Super Saiyan 3
    Rebirth of Fusion!! Goku and Vegeta
    The climax of the battle with Super Buu
We can infer that this is an event during the middle of the battle with Majin Buu from the fact that Goku mentions Majin Buu's name during the course of the movie, the appearance of Gotenks, and the fact that Vegeta is dead.

DBZ THE MOVIE NO. 13
"Dragon Fist Explosion!! If Goku Won't Do it, Who Will?"

[...]
  • The battle with Buu concludes
    Dragon Fist Explosion!! If Goku Won't Do it, Who Will?
    Peaceful days return to the Earth

Since Goku and Vegeta both have physical bodies during the course of the story, peace has returned to the Earth. From this, there's no mistaking that this is a story from after the conclusion of the battle with Buu.
[/spoiler]Re: Coola, Dragon Ball Z Movie 07, & "Fit"
As it currently stands, Coola & Sorbet don't share continuities with each other (thus the former would lack reference in Resurrection F). Ideally, the fate of Freeza's business & his goons may vary in established realities. With that in mind, there's nothing really stopping DBZ Movie 07 from being a world the original Future Trunks visited. It's not officially supported but it's not as if the minor details like Piccolo's strength matters much. After all, each Dragon Ball film exists within a separate dimension from the main continuity. Makai's the limit in variations so I disagree with using "can't". At any rate, I think if one "ignores some details" then it defeats the (in my opinion, fruitless) purpose of placing film events into the main continuity. It's better to treat these movies as they are: alternate stories which had no intention in placing within the original story.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2441
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:42 pm

M1- Either before the series and we have to ignore the whome Goku hasn't seen his friends in five years in episode 1 thing and them not knowing about Gohan or an AU set after the Raditz five parter where Goku didn't die

M2-4 All seem set after the Saiyan Saga and an AU where the Saiyans never killed any of the Z warriors and the cast never went to Namek.


M5- Set during the 3 year training for the Androids

M6 and 7 An AU where Cell never came to the past and the Z fighters defeated the Androids I suppose since Vegeta was Saiyan and there's no reasonable time by the time that was revealed and everything else was going on

M8- Set during the 10 day wait for the Cell games

M9- Set after Cell was defeated

M10-13 No effing clue

User avatar
Ozotto
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 6:33 pm
Location: The Green Planet

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by Ozotto » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:32 pm

I have a head canon for the movies time placements.

I consider them to be happening in a universe very similar to the main timeline we watch, but events happen slightly differently which allow for the movies to fit into the unseen universe time line.

The quickest example I can think of is Goku not spending a lot of time on Yardrat, and coming back home sooner, therefore not mastering the Super Saiyan transformation, and fighting Cooler. As it's implied in the Cooler movie Goku can't transform as immediately as he can in the main time line, as we see he does it for Trunks upon request.

I also think this time line would match up more with DBGT, as we see many of the movie characters resurrected from Hell.

None of that's stuff official though, it's sort of how I visualized and conceptualized with the continuity issues as a kid.

User avatar
Darkprince410
I Live Here
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:12 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:04 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:
MOVIE 13: WRATH OF THE DRAGON
-Released on July 15, 1995.
-Canon, right after Pure Buu's defeat. Alive Goku and Vegeta, SSJ3 Gotenks, Chou Gohan are all there. It fits perfectly, just like Bojack Unbound.
Super contradicts it, as it's indicated that Bulma hasn't developed the fuel, much less built a time machine, until the events of the Future Trunks arc, years after when the events of movie 13 would have taken place. Additionally, the time machine she does have, from the Cell arc, is still in her possession, thus there's no way Tapion could have been given a time machine at the end of the movie.

User avatar
GreatSaiyaman123
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:59 am
Location: Somewhere beyond the sea

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:
MOVIE 13: WRATH OF THE DRAGON
-Released on July 15, 1995.
-Canon, right after Pure Buu's defeat. Alive Goku and Vegeta, SSJ3 Gotenks, Chou Gohan are all there. It fits perfectly, just like Bojack Unbound.
Super contradicts it, as it's indicated that Bulma hasn't developed the fuel, much less built a time machine, until the events of the Future Trunks arc, years after when the events of movie 13 would have taken place. Additionally, the time machine she does have, from the Cell arc, is still in her possession, thus there's no way Tapion could have been given a time machine at the end of the movie.
Thanks. I'll edit that later.
Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

User avatar
szopman
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:56 am
Location: Poland

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by szopman » Mon May 01, 2017 2:20 pm

I'd say that Movie 1 fits the anime canon, which is obvious considering the Garlic Saga in DBZ.
Movies 5,9 and 13 fit perfectly. Ok, maybe #13 not so much now, because of DBS episode with Bulma creating time machine. But still, it's just a little inconsistency. + Cooler was shown in GT :))
I also consider the first two Brolly movies as "canon", with timeline placement in the 10 days before Cell games. I know that there's this inconsistency with Goku and Gohan's hair, but I treat it like other similar anime's errors (for eg. Piccolo's red blood in DB, Trunks and F.Trunks different hair color etc.)
+ I assume that Movie 7 is this 4th unseen timeline which Trunks from Cell's timeline visited.

Other movies are a separate timeline in my opinion.

User avatar
Ozotto
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 6:33 pm
Location: The Green Planet

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by Ozotto » Wed May 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Contradictions & Inconsistencies

Movie 1
- Piccolo & Goku team up for the first time, this contradicts teaming up for the first time against Raditz.
- Krillin meets Gohan for the first time, this contradicts in the show Krillin is shocked and surprised Goku even has a son, meeting Gohan for the first time.

Movie 2
- Goku has the King Kai symbol on his back and knows the Spirit Bomb. This means he's died and trained with King Kai, which would mean this happened after the Saiyans arrived. However Piccolo should be dead, yet he is alive. Gohan and Krillin are also on Earth but should be on their way to Namek, and Goku would be in the hospital.

Movie 3
- Goku has his Go symbol on his shirt, meaning he trained on his ship to Namek.
- Tien, Chiaotzu, Yamcha are alive and Yamcha has King Kai's symbol on his back. Meaning they have died and been wished back.
- Goku can't go Super Saiyan, yet this would be after Namek if Goku has his Go Symbol and Yamcha has his King Kai symbol.
- Daizenshuu states: "From the fact that Goku has not yet become a Super Saiyan, this story takes place before the final showdown with Frieza. However, at this time Goku should be in the midst of his battle on Planet Namek."
- Basically Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu should still be dead, and everyone else should be on Namek and not Earth.

Movie 4
- Goku has his Go Symbol, but can not yet go Super Saiyan. He should technically be on Namek at this point, but he's on Earth along with Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo, and Bulma.
- Daizenshuu 6 notes that the movie would take place around the time of the fight with Frieza on Namek, specifically between Goku's arrival on Namek and Goku's transformation into a Super Saiyan.
- Also, this film presumably takes place at least one year after the events of The Tree of Might; when Lord Slug is reading Bulma's mind, one of the images is Krillin, Bulma, and Oolong summoning Shenron with the outfits they wear at the beginning of The Tree of Might.

Movie 5
- Goku struggles to become Super Saiyan, but in the anime he is seen to have mastered it, as he was able to do it on command for Trunks.
- Gohan still has his Namek hair, when Trunks arrives Gohan's hair is long, Gohan persists to have long hair up until the arrival of the Androids.
- Vegeta, Tien, Yamcha, Chiaotzu are absent - Just because? Or because Vegeta went to space to find Goku/ train, which Movie 6 suggests. And are the others still dead?

Movie 6
- Goku has a symboless shirt, Dende is Earth's guardian (Piccolo has fused), Vegeta can become a Super Saiyan. Which would mean it would have to be leading up to the announcement of the Cell Games, however Gohan's appearance is pre cell games, and no Trunks.
- Vegeta randomly shows up in the movie, and wasn't on Earth when they all went to Namek, suggesting Vegeta was off training and just recently became a super saiyan.

I could go on but i'm bored of this, what I infer from all these details, is these movies have to occur in a universe where events transpire much differently than in the main time line. Such as Goku not mastering SSJ, Piccolo not dying against Nappa's assault, Goku trained on Earth for his Go symbol and the trip to Namek was delayed etc.

Post Reply